3. The Truth
4. Requiem
5. Detour
6. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
7. The Unnatural
8. Post-Modern Prometheus
9. Irresistable
10. Ice
It seems to me that the best relationships, the ones that last, are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship.

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Re: What are your top 10 favorite eps?

Postby TruthIsOutThere » January 8th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Welcome, scullystattoo!

I'm pretty sure we've had a 'Top 10' thread before, but I searched and couldn't find one, so it's at least been quite awhile. In any event, people's lists change over time, so it's a good idea to start a new one! :)

Let me start off by saying I found this incredibly hard (as I always do!); it's like trying to pick which ones of my kids I like best. My top 10 are:

Bad Blood
Humbug
Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space’
Small Potatoes
Duane Barry
Memento Mori
Post-Modern Prometheus
The Unnatural
Je Souhaite
Roadrunners

Others that just missed the cut (some just barely; it was hard to pare down even this list!):

Unusual Suspects
Ice
Beyond the Sea
Darkness Falls
Colony
End Game
Anasazi
Apocrypha
Unruhe
Home
Paper Hearts
The Pine Bluff Variant
The Red and the Black
Three of a Kind
The Amazing Maleeni
John Doe
The Host
Vienen
Pilot
Two Fathers
One Son
Monday

OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist
OneShoe

Postby OneShoe » January 8th, 2015, 8:14 pm

I didn't think too hard on this, so, in no particular order:

Eve
Bad Blood
Post-Modern Prometheus
Existence
Pilot
Pusher
Squeeze
Ice
Darkness Falls
Tooms

ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.
ItsOutThere

Postby ItsOutThere » January 9th, 2015, 12:17 am

I agree with TruthIsOutThere in that it is INCREDIBLY hard for me to pick my favourite episodes in such a small number, especially when I prefer some for their comedy, others for their story lines. I'll give it a shot though ad these aren't in any particular order...

How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space’
Dreamland Parts I & II
Small Potatoes
Millennium
Post-Modern Prometheus
Ice
The Unnatural
Monday
Bad Blood
Home

And Arcadia gets a mention for one of my most frequently used Mulder quotes!
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

mfluder1013
mfluder1013
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
mfluder1013

Postby mfluder1013 » January 10th, 2015, 12:23 am

This was very difficult for myself as well, and the list would change again eventually but here is my list for now:

10. Squeeze (2nd episode I ever saw and creepy)
9. Red Museum (The mythology aspect came out of nowhere in this episode and why I love it)
8. Bad Blood (Great comedic episode written by Vince Gilligan)
7. Requiem (One of the best cliffhangers ever, imagine if the series would have ended on that note...)
6. Max (A great conclusion to a two-parters)
5. Tempus Fugit (Alien abduction in mid-air, a first for television for sure)
4. Ice (My very first episode, couldn't ask for a better one to get me hooked)
3. Gethsemane (The teaser is amazing, excellent)
2. Darkness Falls (Just a nice walk on the woods, enough said)
1. Deep Throat (In my opinion, best story and best intro for one of my favorite characters, Deep Throat)

LittleStarbuck
Rob Roberts, Food Service
LittleStarbuck

Postby LittleStarbuck » February 19th, 2015, 1:49 pm

My personal favourites are...

1) Existence (All for that stunning ending. The soft orange glow in the lighting, the beautifully haunting Scully's theme playing, the kiss, and most importantly complete happiness for Scully... DIDN'T LAST THOUGH DID IT!?)
2) Home (When I introduce people to the X-Files, this is the episode I make them watch. This episode is scarier and creepier than a lot of horror movies. Baa ram ewe (You read that in Scully's voice didn't you ;-) )
3) Bad Blood (Tbh, I think this should be on everybody's list. The hilarity all comes from Scully's expressions and -I'm laughing as I type- Shaft. Whether is be real cream cheese or mexican goat suckers, this episode is hilarious)
4) Per Manum (Not a popular one I see, and I can understand why. I also wasn't a big fan of the baby arc, but it happened, and it happened beautifully. Scully's face when Mulder says yes is so expressive, if Gillian Anderson got an emmy for every time she made me cry, she would be able to melt them down and make that giant gold dwarf statue from the Hobbit.)
5) Arcadia (Need I explain?)
7) X-Cops (I really enjoyed this episode. It was funny and tense, and filmed in a way that made Mulder and Scully seem all that more real. Plus, Steve and Edy :-) )
8) Post Modern Prometheus (It was so wonderfully creative. A great storyline. Funny. And Cher. I love Cher.)
9) Quagmire (So much bonding in this episode. Simple friendship bonding, it was sweet. And Queequeg... poor Queequeg)
10) Pusher (Soooo tense, and so entertaining. 10/10 for classic X Files episode.)

Special mention:
The Springfield Files (It's like a lava lamp)

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 19th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Welcome to the site, LittleStarbuck! Good episode choices, too! :)

Love your Hobbit reference, too. 8-)

LittleStarbuck
LittleStarbuck

Postby LittleStarbuck » February 19th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Thank you TruthIsOutThere! I look forward to meeting everyone and talking non stop X-Files :-)

Agent Robin
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
Agent Robin

Postby Agent Robin » March 4th, 2015, 3:07 pm

This was hard. I couldn't do a top 10 so it beacome a top 20. But since I couldn't bring myselt to rank the first 10 it beacome a top 10 with 10 episodes on shared first place. lol XD They are all my favorites.

1. (Shared 1'st place)
Ice (The X-Files take on Who Goes there? And a brilliant one)
Dwane Berry (First time we see Mulder in a hostage situation. Which is really intressting. Oh and DAT cliffhanger!)
Accention (Really kicked the mythology into high gear. Oh and Krycek you bastard! XD)
Anasazi (Such a great and emotional episode. alot happend in this one. And a great season cliffhanger)
Paper Clip ("This is where you pucker up and kiss my ass!" Nuff said XD)
War of the Coprophages (This one for me was the one who first really got the comedy episodes going. It's so funny)
Joe Chung's From Outer Space (Classic, hilarious)
Pusher (A greeat concept and such a tense episode!)
Deatur (That secene where Scully sings You to the World is just brilliant.)
Bad Blood (The funnyest episode. I don't think I've seen meany top 10 lists without it)
All these are 10/10 for me

2. Small Potatoes (Hilarious episode)
3. Quagmire (Great bonding episode for Mulder and Scully. Have some funny moments too.)
4. The X-Files: Fight The Future (The X-Files on the big screen and buy did it deliver)
I'd probably give those 3 10/10 as well
5. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (Cool seeing Cancermans backstory. And I like how the second chapter is filmes kinda like film noar.)
6. Dreamland I & II (SO DAMN FUNNY!)
7. Existence (Would have been a really fitting end to the series had they decided to end it at season 8)
8. Vienen (Really cinematic episode. And it takes place on an oil rig and I really like episodes that take place in isolated areas like that.)
9. 731 (Mulder locked it with a bomb in a train cart. It's like the christmas present I never knew I wanted)
10. Memento Mori (An emotinal and exiting episdoe)

Honerable mention(Since this would have been #20 it feels unfair to not meantion it ecpecially since it's so good): Monday (The X-Files does Groundhog Day, brilliantly!)

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Postby TruthIsOutThere » March 5th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Great choices, Agent Robin. And welcome! :)

Agent Robin
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
Agent Robin

Postby Agent Robin » March 9th, 2015, 10:11 am

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » August 8th, 2015, 1:57 pm

10. Drive
9. Pine Bluff Variant/Folie a Deux
8. Grotesque
7. Jose Chung
6. Paper Clip
5. Bruckman
4. Musings of the CSM
3. Paper Hearts
2. Home
1. 731

Honorable mentions: Pilot, Duane Barry/Ascension, Small Potatoes, Erlenmeyer Flask, Field Trip, The End.

barchick
barchick
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
barchick

Postby barchick » August 9th, 2015, 2:50 pm

OOOH, I only get 10?

Biogenesis / Amor Fati
Redux II
Rain King
Monday
Pusher
Momento Mori
Small Potatoes
En Ami
Milagro
First Person Shooter

LittleStarbuck
LittleStarbuck

Postby LittleStarbuck » August 9th, 2015, 5:26 pm

barchick wrote:OOOH, I only get 10?

Biogenesis / Amor Fati
Redux II
Rain King
Monday
Pusher
Momento Mori
Small Potatoes
En Ami
Milagro
First Person Shooter

Great list barchick, I'd love to hear your opinions on First Person Shooter considering it's on most people's worst episodes list!

barchick
barchick
barchick

Postby barchick » August 9th, 2015, 8:22 pm

LittleStarbuck wrote:
barchick wrote:OOOH, I only get 10?

Biogenesis / Amor Fati
Redux II
Rain King
Monday
Pusher
Momento Mori
Small Potatoes
En Ami
Milagro
First Person Shooter

Great list barchick, I'd love to hear your opinions on First Person Shooter considering it's on most people's worst episodes list!

Oh really? I loved the tongue in cheek geekiness of the whole episode. I also loved that it took Scully to finally kick the cyber chicks butt! That said, the cgi Scully at the end was utter cheese.

I like episodes where Scully has to rescue Mulder from his idiotic displays of machismo.

bidown
bidown
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
bidown

Postby bidown » August 10th, 2015, 10:02 am

Hi I'm newbie :)
Here are my top 10 episodes.

1. All things (digging deep into Scully's life, especially in her past always made me feel surprised because Scully seemed to be more mysterious than I thought, while Mulder's life was described quite clearly from the beginning)

2. Bad blood (extremely funny)
3. Existence (a very happy ending, and I still think this ep should have been the end for the whole series)
4. Per Manum ( because of the tormented soundtrack, the way Mulder cared for Scully, how lonely she was without Mulder,...)
5. Momento Mori
6. Requieum
7. Dreamland I & II
8. Squeeze
9. Monday (the way the Writer told a story 4 times)
10. Ice

Sorry if my English is bad :D

LittleStarbuck
LittleStarbuck

Re:

Postby LittleStarbuck » August 10th, 2015, 11:19 am

bidown wrote:3. Existence (a very happy ending, and I still think this ep should have been the end for the whole series)

welcome]
I couldn't agree with you more, Existence definitely should have been the series finale!

bidown wrote:4. Per Manum ( because of the tormented soundtrack, the way Mulder cared for Scully, how lonely she was without Mulder,...)

I'm glad someone else loves Per Manum as well, and you're right about the soundtrack, Scully's Theme is so beautiful and haunting.

bidown
bidown
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
bidown

Re: Re:

Postby bidown » August 11th, 2015, 8:29 am

LittleStarbuck wrote:
bidown wrote:4. Per Manum ( because of the tormented soundtrack, the way Mulder cared for Scully, how lonely she was without Mulder,...)

I'm glad someone else loves Per Manum as well, and you're right about the soundtrack, Scully's Theme is so beautiful and haunting.

Btw, I really admire Mark Snow for making such beautiful soundtracks in Xfiles. There are 2 soundtracks that I love most which are Scully's theme in Per Manum and Mulder's theme (?) in This is not happening. I even put these song into my mobile phone :)

LittleStarbuck
LittleStarbuck

Re: Re:

Postby LittleStarbuck » August 11th, 2015, 9:41 am

bidown wrote:
LittleStarbuck wrote:Btw, I really admire Mark Snow for making such beautiful soundtracks in Xfiles. There are 2 soundtracks that I love most which are Scully's theme in Per Manum and Mulder's theme (?) in This is not happening. I even put these song into my mobile phone :)

Mark Snow is an absolute genius! Another two favourites of mine by his is The Martyr which plays at the end of Amor Fati during that precious scene between Mulder and Scully, and Home Again which is at the end of IWTB during the kiss scene. The fact that he's back for the revival makes me endlessly happy, because even if we get bad writing (hope not) at least we know we'll get beautiful music :-)

barchick
barchick
barchick

Postby barchick » January 25th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Never Again
Biogenesis / Amor Fati I&II
Ice
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
Redux I & II
Memento Mori
Beyond the Sea
Theef
3 of a Kind
The Amazing Maleeni

Oh my goodness that was hard - not in order at all either and there are so many more I wanted to add, Je Souhaite, Drive, Monday.... Oh no, now I am rethinking my top 10

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » January 25th, 2016, 4:41 pm

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... anked.html

This reviewer ranked all episodes from worst to best. Interesting read.

tn19950
tn19950
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
tn19950

Postby tn19950 » March 30th, 2016, 11:03 pm

I still to the date tell people about, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, I think it was among the best episodes out there in my opinion.

1. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man cancer]
2. Paper Hearts
3. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
4. Monday
5.Darkness Falls
6. CLosure
7. Home
8. Bad Blood
9. Squeeze
10. Field Trip

I absolutely hated "Agua Mala".... and I really didn't quite like "The Field Where I Died"

Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
Agent Spooky

Postby Agent Spooky » September 9th, 2016, 5:39 pm

1 Home
2 Ice
3 Arcadia
4 The Truth
5 The Unnatural
6 Bad Blood
7 Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
8 Je Souhaite
9 Improbable
10 Alone
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012

FunkyFiles
FunkyFiles
FunkyFiles

Postby FunkyFiles » September 28th, 2016, 8:16 pm

tn19950 wrote:I still to the date tell people about, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, I think it was among the best episodes out there in my opinion.

1. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man cancer]
2. Paper Hearts
3. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
4. Monday
5.Darkness Falls
6. CLosure
7. Home
8. Bad Blood
9. Squeeze
10. Field Trip

I absolutely hated "Agua Mala".... and I really didn't quite like "The Field Where I Died"

Yeeaaaa Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man is just epic! :day

ItsOutThere
ItsOutThere

Postby ItsOutThere » November 29th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Anyone care ranking their favourite episodes by including the most recent series?
In fact, did any of the reboot episodes make it into anyone's top 10? For me, one ended up in my least favourite episodes of all time. Sadly it involved a New Zealander
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

ItsOutThere
ItsOutThere

Postby ItsOutThere » November 29th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Anyone care ranking their favourite episodes by including the most recent series?
In fact, did any of the reboot episodes make it into anyone's top 10? For me, one ended up in my least favourite episodes of all time. Sadly it involved a New Zealander

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » December 10th, 2016, 4:47 am

For me, Were-Monster and Babylon were excellent but can't quite make up the top 10. On the other hand, My Struggle was absolutely horrendous and definitely makes the "Worst 10 Ever" list. So, there you go, a mixed bag really.

OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist
OneShoe

Postby OneShoe » December 24th, 2016, 11:54 pm

ItsOutThere wrote:Anyone care ranking their favourite episodes by including the most recent series?

I don't think any of the new episodes would make it into my top 10, although I did love them for the most part.

Sage97
Phillip Padgett, Typist
Sage97

Postby Sage97 » December 26th, 2016, 4:48 pm

OneShoe wrote:
ItsOutThere wrote:Anyone care ranking their favourite episodes by including the most recent series?

I don't think any of the new episodes would make it into my top 10, although I did love them for the most part.

Hey OneShoe. Hope all is well. None of the new eps are in my top 10 either but all of the Fox previews did. :)
Sculllaaayyy!!!
-Mulder

syzygy620
syzygy620
syzygy620

Postby syzygy620 » February 3rd, 2017, 8:12 pm

I can tell you that 3 of the 6 episodes in the revival season rank in my bottom 20 of the entire series.

None place in my top 10, or top 20, or top 30.