XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Revival Up-Dates

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

Re: Revival Up-Dates

Postby Andrew80 » September 26th, 2015, 3:42 am

lostinlove wrote:Thanks for the article Truth, sorry to keep waffling on, but does ANYBODY know if we are getting the new episodes here in England (note desperation in request there!!)

Yes, we are :)

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/09/exclusi ... s-revival/
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby dnb_junkie » September 26th, 2015, 4:12 am

Yay! Thanks for the link :D
dnb_junkie
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Postby lostinlove » September 26th, 2015, 7:32 am

Thanks so much Andrew, you've made my day, in fact, you've made my year!!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby Andrew80 » September 29th, 2015, 2:44 am

lostinlove wrote:Thanks so much Andrew, you've made my day, in fact, you've made my year!!

Let's make it even better :) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/x-f ... 3706ddc064 enjoy the trailers!
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » September 29th, 2015, 6:25 am

THEY ARE AWE-SOME!!!

Is it just me or Mulder and Scully are not on very good terms ? :-) :-)

Did you notice CSM's sentence: "WE HAVE A SMALL PROBLEM" a little nod to Krycek and CSM in Season 2's SLEEPLESS!!!!

Does CSM have an actual arm in the teaser? Reminded me of Krycek's fake left arm. How did he survive the blast from THE TRUTH? (I know: ask Joe Harris, I DO read the IDW comic!!)

I want a teaser for MY STRUGGLE II starring Reyes! NOW!
Monica Reyes: Mmm. I'm back in Gdansk. Let me get some plates.
John Doggett: Plates? For crying out loud... who eats Polish sausage with plates?
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Andrew80 » September 29th, 2015, 7:04 am

joss_doggett wrote:THEY ARE AWE-SOME!!!

Is it just me or Mulder and Scully are not on very good terms ? :-) :-)

Did you notice CSM's sentence: "WE HAVE A SMALL PROBLEM" a little nod to Krycek and CSM in Season 2's SLEEPLESS!!!!

Does CSM have an actual arm in the teaser? Reminded me of Krycek's fake left arm. How did he survive the blast from THE TRUTH? (I know: ask Joe Harris, I DO read the IDW comic!!)

I want a teaser for MY STRUGGLE II starring Reyes! NOW!

Strange, everyone was commenting that they were on surprisingly good terms considering the break-up. There is even a touching session between the pair in the trailers, probably a consolation prize for the shippers :) Mulder also admitted he was not able to do the job without Scully, which further solidifies the assumption that the rift was not as big and devastating as it was presented to be before. Generally, it seems they're back to seasons 1-6 behavior-partners and best friends. Which is totally fine, as long as they don't spend half of the time explaining the break-up and playing the UST card (which, according to CC, they will be doing, unfortunately).

And now to the things I didn't like-the whole thing doesn't have an X-files vibe at all. Everything looks soooooo serious and depressing. Two trailers and no Mulder-wisecracks, no skeptical looks and arched eyebrows by Scully, no marine-stares and reprimands barked by Skinner. They all look, well, defeated. Subdued. The most cheerful thing in both trailers is Cancer Man talking about a small problem. :) The X Files at their prime were scary and entertaining, but NOT depressing. Even the saddest scenes and situations were handled with the dose of humor and cheeky, us against the world attitude. This looks more like True Detective than the X-Files. It is obvious that big money was spend, production values and direction are top notch, but it still doesn't feel like the old thing we all love and cherish.

However, you don't judge a book by its cover and you don't judge a film/tv show by trailers, so let's wait for the whole package, I suppose. Hopefully, Darin Morgan will cheer things up a bit.
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » September 29th, 2015, 8:29 am

Yes, let's remain optimistic. Maybe the editors responsible for the trailers kept only the dark and gritty scenes and we'll get a good old fashioned wisecrack by Mulder and / or Scully eventually.
But I doubt that'll be in episode 1 :-)
John Doggett: Plates? For crying out loud... who eats Polish sausage with plates?
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Andrew80 » September 29th, 2015, 8:45 am

joss_doggett wrote:Yes, let's remain optimistic. Maybe the editors responsible for the trailers kept only the dark and gritty scenes and we'll get a good old fashioned wisecrack by Mulder and / or Scully eventually.
But I doubt that'll be in episode 1 :-)

Another extremely negative thing (can't blame CC&co though)-smartphones and call ids totally ruined all "Mulder/Scully it's me" moments. :(
Andrew80

Postby lostinlove » September 29th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Thanks Andrew once again for brightening my day, loved the trailers, can hardly wait for it all to begin!
lostinlove

Postby TruthIsOutThere » September 29th, 2015, 4:09 pm

I loved them, and think they look incredible!

There's already a tension and an urgency to things; they remind me of the "next week on The X-Files" trailers at the end of the episodes! :sun
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » September 29th, 2015, 4:27 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I loved them, and think they look incredible!

There's already a tension and an urgency to things; they remind me of the "next week on The X-Files" trailers at the end of the episodes! :sun

I am trying hard to stand firm and not watch it but I will probably lose the battle as usual. Hell, they are too exciting even when uninspired...
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » September 30th, 2015, 2:39 pm

The 2 minute trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

IT'S KILLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Doug Hutchison » September 30th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Watching that and knowing those little bits of detail from the call sheets, I am absolutely convinced that this 6 episode run is the result of Fox turning down a third movie and that My Struggle was intended to be that. Works out well for the fans though. We get 4 extra stories from the great X Files writers that we wouldn't be getting if a movie happened.
Doug Hutchison
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby Andrew80 » September 30th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaahhh Scully waving a gun so damn sexy. Gets me every time.
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » September 30th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Did you notice?

1. CSM has a young hand (what gives?) !!
2. The pencils from Season 5's CHINGA are still on the ceiling !!
3. Mulder stamps on his own IWTB poster: CRIM-IN-AL !!
4. Joel Mc Hale's voice at the beginning !!
5. Is the young lad with the glasses William ??

AWE-SOME !!
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Andrew80 » September 30th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Judging by his words "Like yourself, I am a true believer" and the tone of voice (desperately trying to sound convincing) I'd say this Tad O'Malley character is leading Mulder up the garden path.
Andrew80

Postby TruthIsOutThere » September 30th, 2015, 5:28 pm

There's some goodness about the Revival in this Motherboard interview with TXF science advisor Anne Simon.

Parts about the new episodes:

[Episode 6] connects with the earlier series really well. It’s not like this is coming out of the blue. It’s a way to wrap up a lot of the questions. Fans of the earlier seasons will really like it. There’s a lot of science in it and the science is very scary. Driving home, I had this incredibly good idea—because Chris had asked me to come up with something, and in all modesty, I believe I’ve outdone myself. So I’m really excited, I can’t wait to see the final script—and I can’t wait to see the actual show.

I was there [in Vancouver] watching episode 4 being filmed—it’s not a science episode, per se, but it may end up being people’s favorite episode of all time. It was that good and it was that much fun.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby joss_doggett » October 1st, 2015, 6:25 am

PICS OF EPISODE 6 WITH ANNABETH! NOW!

reys] lovel) lovel) lovel) lovel)
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Fallon » October 2nd, 2015, 8:04 am

I heard that Sky 1 is getting them in the UK.
Fallon
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Andrew80 » October 6th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Ok, tonight was the European premiere of the Episode 1 of the revival. Things we know (warning, spoilers ahead):

-Opening credits will be exactly like ones from Seasons 1-7 (thank you sweet Jesus :) )
-Conspiracy will lean heavily on global surveillance programs and digital technology.
-Mulder and Scully are separated both privately and professionally at the very beginning, though they quickly (this is all Episode 1) join forces again and reopen the X-Files with the help of Skinner. Therefore, they'll be FBI agents operating from the basement again.
-Roswell was just a "smokescreen" in X-Files universe and story will also be dealing with 9/11 attacks in some way.
-CC himself is a skeptic, he doesn't believe in existence of extra-terrestrials.
-There will be more characters from original series reappearing (besides, of course, Mulder, Scully, Skinner, Reyes TLG and CSM), but there is also a strong possibility that one of the main characters will be killed off during the 6 episodes.
-Tad O' Malley is partially based on CC himself.
-It is almost certain that this reboot WILL NOT be the end and that there will be more X-Files after this, either with mini-series like this one or with specials. In CC's words: "Mulder and Scully will be in wheelchairs before they are wheeled off stage". He also added that the series will continue to explore their relationship.
-The episode was received extremely well by present audience, journalist and critics. There was a spontaneous human comb......, sorry, applause several times during the episode and some British journalists described it as "absolute bloody ripper" and "up there with the best X-Files episodes".

For these interested in the whole original article in Guardian, read here: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... evelations and here: http://deadline.com/2015/10/x-files-pre ... 201568358/ There are also more articles coming as I am writing this.
Last edited by Andrew80 on October 7th, 2015, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » October 7th, 2015, 2:24 am

And I forgot-the poster for the revival is fuckin' brilliant (pardon my French).
Attachments
NEweV7pGicaDzA_2_b.jpg
NEweV7pGicaDzA_2_b.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Andrew80

Postby lostinlove » October 7th, 2015, 3:21 am

Thanks Andrew, adore that poster and thanks for posting all the other news!
lostinlove

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 7th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Yes, thanks for posting this update, Andrew. I had just stumbled across the poster and a similar article from the Hollywood Reporter (lots of good commentary from the fans, too).

So great to hear that they're getting a good response! :sun
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 7th, 2015, 1:47 pm

I didn't get the impression Tad O' Malley was so much based on CC himself, more that CC conceived of the character while internet browsing in recent years (i.e., he's likely based on some of those Illuninati nuts you can watch on YouTube).

This Yahoo piece tells us that "In their new TV adventure, they find themselves caught up in a dangerous conspiracy run up by a wealthy individual who may or may not be seeking to master alien technology."
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » October 8th, 2015, 2:43 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I didn't get the impression Tad O' Malley was so much based on CC himself, more that CC conceived of the character while internet browsing in recent years (i.e., he's likely based on some of those Illuninati nuts you can watch on YouTube).

This Yahoo piece tells us that "In their new TV adventure, they find themselves caught up in a dangerous conspiracy run up by a wealthy individual who may or may not be seeking to master alien technology."

Various articles interpreted his words differently-there was definitely one where it had been written TOM was partially based on CC. I don't know, CC wouldn't have been so successful with on-screen conspiracies if he didn't believe in it of screen at least a little bit. :)
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » October 8th, 2015, 7:12 am

Review from the world premiere in Cannes, France (sorry I wasn't there despite my being French!)

http://www.xfilesnews.com/news/latest-n ... -in-cannes
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 8th, 2015, 1:48 pm

While reading through this well done essay (on Eat the Corn) on where the show might go, I suddenly wondered if Gibson Praise might be included in the revival (you should really check out orodromeus' analysis on ETC, as it's outstanding, as usual; be sure to read all three parts!)

In fact, yesterday at lunch me and a buddy were talking about the show, and he asked what ever became of that kid who could read minds?

So on a whim I pulled up his Jeff Gulka's IMDb page (I find it preposterous that he's not "known" mostly for TXF), and it's rumored that he might be appearing in "My Struggle"! Amazing that the kid we watched on the show is nearly 30 now!
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby joss_doggett » October 9th, 2015, 3:09 am

Gibson is about 30 now and Scully and Mulder's WORST nightmare in the IDW comic seasons 10-11.

That'd make sense if he came back on tv.
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby LyndaDay » October 9th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Carter alluded to a main-ish character death in an interview - could it be Reyes? I mean, she's kind of the odd man out here without Doggett. Any thoughts? I'm surprised how few rumors have leaked this time around thus far - maybe after the Comic Con viewing?
LyndaDay
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Andrew80 » October 9th, 2015, 4:32 pm

LyndaDay wrote:Carter alluded to a main-ish character death in an interview - could it be Reyes? I mean, she's kind of the odd man out here without Doggett. Any thoughts? I'm surprised how few rumors have leaked this time around thus far - maybe after the Comic Con viewing?

There were some unofficial, but strong indications that Mrs Scully was going to be killed-off in the reboot.
Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » October 10th, 2015, 7:05 am

Anybody who kills Reyes will be slowly tortured to death by myself. 'Nuff said.
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Andrew80 » October 10th, 2015, 5:25 pm

HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-x-files-at ... 53220.html
http://www.geek.com/news/the-new-season ... m-1636411/
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-revi ... gle-225-02
http://www.bustle.com/articles/116186-t ... nic-series

Well, my new-found optimism was short lived. Ok, maybe I should reserve my judgement until I actually watch it but after reading this-honestly, why bother? I expected new mythology-we got an umpteenth twist of the old mythology instead. I expected focus on paranormal-we got Never Again all over again- Scully wanting to date a 20 years younger conspiracy theorist and Mulder being nervous about it instead. I expected coherence and clarity-we got explanations for both conspiracy and MS break-up with Atlantic-sized holes in it instead. I expected Mulder and Scully solving mysteries together-we got Mulder's paranoid rants about government and Scully calling him mentally ill instead. And so on and so on. In addition (read article 2) people who watched noticed the thing I noticed while watching the trailer-it's not the X-files atmosphere at all and the humor and wittiness that we all find so endearing is simply gone (read article 3).

In short-I like you Chris, you are a Sci-Fi genius, you created one of the best TV-shows in history and there is still this tiny little chance it will all look better somehow when actually watched on-screen but honestly, this is a pile of crap. This is as fresh as an exhumed corpse and lacks logic, purpose and common sense. This is just a shameful attempt to milk more money from the X-Files brand by desperately trying to recreate something that in all purpose was either resolved or dead and buried 12 years ago. It doesn't work. It never will-at least for me.

X-Files were my favorite childhood show and I accept I might be emotional when writing this-hell, I sure am. But in addition to being emotional, I am afraid I am also brutally honest and realistic about this. It pains me to say that, but I think it is true. I am also angry with myself for letting them cheat me and expecting, against my better judgement, something different than what we saw in countless reboots and revivals of other films and shows, only because it's X-Files and I hoped they could be different from the rest, that with X-Files even revivals could be special. Well, these hopes seem to be well and truly dashed.

P.S. Of course, all this is, for now, valid only for the first episode, My Struggle. I still hold out some hope for the standalones. Although if this is an indication how things will look like... :(
Last edited by Andrew80 on October 10th, 2015, 5:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Andrew80

Postby OneShoe » October 10th, 2015, 5:40 pm

joss_doggett wrote:Anybody who kills Reyes will be slowly tortured to death by myself. 'Nuff said.

And I will help.

LyndaDay wrote:Carter alluded to a main-ish character death in an interview - could it be Reyes? I mean, she's kind of the odd man out here without Doggett. Any thoughts? I'm surprised how few rumors have leaked this time around thus far - maybe after the Comic Con viewing?

Is your username a reference to Lynda Day George?
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby OneShoe » October 10th, 2015, 7:00 pm

https://youtu.be/MzOsj_ij4xA

The X-Files Panel at NYCC 2015
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby Doug Hutchison » October 10th, 2015, 9:04 pm

What I've seen so far is moderate to positive reviews, then a load of people deciding that this isn't good enough and that the new series is a waste of time.

I don't understand what was expected here. 13 years since The X Files was last on TV and they had 44 minutes to bring it back and kick off a new story after 200 episodes and a mythology that I think we all agree had gone far beyond where it should have.

NEWSFLASH: This new series probably won't be as good as your favourite episodes from the past. I can't think of any precedent for a revival like this even being passable, let alone good. What I've read so far is encouraging. You get Mulder and Scully back! In something that nobody has said is awful! Get ready to enjoy it for what it is ffs.

And don't even get me started on unflattering comparisons to Breaking Bad. Give Breaking Bad another 150 episodes and a 13 year gap and let's see how it looks. Also get the collective media tongue out of its anus and reassess the whole thing anyway. Massively overrated show.
Doug Hutchison
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby Andrew80 » October 11th, 2015, 2:42 am

Andrew80

Postby joss_doggett » October 11th, 2015, 6:37 am

Any viewer who watched a show that's been over for a while is immediately diagnosed with "nostalgia / everything was better before syndrome" (probably me included).
And yet I CANNOT wait for the revival and couldn't care less about all those mean criticisms as long as I haven't seen the revival episodes myself.
In an alternate year 2022 reality BREAKING BAD will come back and all the current fans will say "meh". butt]
'Nuff said.
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Andrew80 » October 11th, 2015, 7:12 am

Just for the record, I don't give a shit for Breaking Bad. Watched a couple of episodes, found it boring, stopped watching it :)
Andrew80

Postby OneShoe » October 11th, 2015, 8:56 am

The X-Files Revival Cast and Creator Interviews at New York Comic Con 2015

https://youtu.be/pGA5dcDqZOs
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby lostinlove » October 11th, 2015, 9:03 am

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm still looking forward to it, even though I could only see them online, it was great seeing David Chris and Mitch at the con, could feel their enthusiasm, shame Gillian couldn't have been there, would love to see her video greeting somewhere!
lostinlove

PreviousNext

Return to X-Files General Discussion