XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Revival Up-Dates

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

Re: Revival Up-Dates

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 11th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Andrew80 wrote:
TruthIsOutThere wrote:

Of course most people liked the show overall. I like it. I just did not like the first episode :)

Well the majority of fans also like the first episode ("My Struggle"), according to Rotten Tomatoes.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Sage97 » February 11th, 2016, 9:06 pm

I think we're just hypercritical because we want the rest of the world to see the show how we see it.
Sculllaaayyy!!!
-Mulder
Sage97
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 12th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Sage97 wrote:I think we're just hypercritical because we want the rest of the world to see the show how we see it.

I think that's spot-on, Sage.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » February 14th, 2016, 12:21 pm

CC may exceed my expectations after all, judging by this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6U0_177NLQ If whole "Babylon" is as fun, exciting and witty as this, it'll be full marks from me. :)
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 16th, 2016, 5:39 pm

I ended up liking "Babylon", overall. And I liked the young Mulder and Scully far more than I expected to.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » February 16th, 2016, 6:02 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I ended up liking "Babylon", overall. And I liked the young Mulder and Scully far more than I expected to.

It was a brilliant episode. I absolutely loved it. I have a feeling everything else was for general audience, but Babylon and Were-Monster were for the true fans.
Andrew80

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 19th, 2016, 5:37 pm

I just read something in TIME magazine that I feel very much ties into the whole "zeitgeist" that CC has tried to tap into.

At the WEF (World Economic Forum) in Davos, where trends about culture and technology and economics are discussed by powerful world leaders (bankers, economists, top politicians), they released the results of a survey. It's known as the Edelman Trust Barometer, and it's a "multicultural study in which tens of thousands of people were asked how much they trust government, business, non-governmental organizations and media to do what is right for populations as a whole" (emphasis mine). They say that the survey showed a "yawning gap" ("near record lows") of institutional trust between the world's best off and everyone else (the 62 richest people on the planet hold as much wealth as half the planet).

I think that summarizes well the distrust and social discontent that TXF taps into with its mythology and conspiracies.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby syzygy620 » February 19th, 2016, 5:57 pm

I'm so nervous for Monday's finale! I'm hoping it blows "My Struggle" out of the water, but I also have a very realistic feeling that... it won't. No doubt lots will happen, so I've no concern that it will be boring. My Struggle was anything but boring. Rather, it was rushed and jam-packed with so much, added to the fact the actors hadn't really slid into their roles yet and way too much time was spent on exposition.

I'm nervous about the cliffhanger. Almost without a doubt the show will return in some capacity, another miniseries or 3rd film, but I'm nervous about CC retconning the mytharc. Taking it in a new direction is "sure, fine, whatever," and if done right could be really incredible, but given what we know so far and what My Struggle introduced, chances are what we think is going to happen may actually happen.

Anyone know any spoilers yet about the episode?
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 20th, 2016, 12:46 am

Hmmm, spoilers for "My Struggle II", huh? Let's see, we know:

- That it will begin with a voice-over monologue by Scully (it aired apparently during the Super Bowl, but I somehow missed it, even though I watched the whole game and most of the ads). You can find it online. I would link to it, but trying to do so earlier locked up my computer for nearly two hours, so I'm not going to try a third time. It's pretty freaky, as it shows Scully morph into an alien at the end (symbolic, most likely).

- There's lots shown here (we know that the new twist is that it's men, rather than aliens, supposedly, and they're unleashing some sort of viral apocalypse, it seems). Mulder will be confronting CSM, it seems.

- For some reason, Mulder ignores Scully (typical for the show, really) and heads to South Carolina for some reason (I had no idea of this one until Googling things).

- Miller and Einstein are in it, at least some. Scully is rushing some sort of medical supplies (an IV bag or something) to Mulder? Perhaps he's infected (besides being just beat up?)

- There are lots of images here, including ones of Monica Reyes (many fans theorize that she is the one working with and caring for CSM, perhaps she is being leveraged or forced to somehow? Maybe it involves William?)

- It ends with a big cliffhanger, according to CC (links here and here).

- We know Mulder fights some bad guy, and presumably near the end there will be a huge light shining down on our heroes (as per the trailer clip).

I think that's all I'll post for now, as I don't want to lose it all again.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 20th, 2016, 12:48 am

Here, from IBT of all places, is a summary of what E6 is supposedly about (which matches much of what we've seen):

The two will try to save the country from a plague in episode 6, titled "My Struggle II."

According to the synopsis, a disease starts to spread around the country and people get "gravely ill." While many start to panic, Scully will look "within to find a cure," while Mulder will go to the man he believes to be responsible for it all. However, it could be someone else from their past that could end up saving the day.

The promo video shows Mulder coming face-to-face with the Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis). Mulder wants Cigarette Smoking Man to stop what he put in motion, but Cigarette Smoking Man tells him "It's far too late for that."

The finale will be a continuation of episode 1, "My Struggle," where it was revealed that some sort of shadow government has been using alien technology to experiment on humans. Conspiracy theorist Tad O’Malley (Joel McHale) will be back, as will Mulder and Scully's new FBI allies Agent Miller (Robbie Amell) and Agent Einstein (Lauren Ambrose).

O'Malley teases the end of humanity, letting the world know that alien DNA is inside of "every American citizen," and Einstein is shown very sick. The promo video teases that the truth will finally be revealed on the show. The video comes to an end with an alien ship flying over a bridge. Will Mulder and Scully be able to stop Cigarette Smoking Man? Could the person from the past that could save everyone be their long lost son William?
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » February 20th, 2016, 3:26 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:
However, it could be someone else from their past that could end up saving the day.

Could the person from the past that could save everyone be their long lost son William?

Couldn't that be Reyes? She's person from their past and Annabeth Gish is definitely back for the last episode.
Andrew80

Postby syzygy620 » February 20th, 2016, 12:11 pm

What I'm wondering about is whether the new direction will contradict all that's come before. As I understand it (based solely on spoilers and interviews with the stars and CC), the "new" conspiracy introduced in the premiere involves the government using alien technology against its own people. So is it to be understood that this conspiracy "overrides" the nine seasons' worth of mytharc, or that this is just a new direction CC is taking the show?
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 20th, 2016, 6:30 pm

syzygy620 wrote:What I'm wondering about is whether the new direction will contradict all that's come before. As I understand it (based solely on spoilers and interviews with the stars and CC), the "new" conspiracy introduced in the premiere involves the government using alien technology against its own people. So is it to be understood that this conspiracy "overrides" the nine seasons' worth of mytharc, or that this is just a new direction CC is taking the show?

That's the million dollar question. I really hope he doesn't completely undo and retcon all that's come before.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Sage97 » February 21st, 2016, 11:55 am

If the reboot takes away all the alien abductions of past seasons, we riot! :)
Sculllaaayyy!!!
-Mulder
Sage97
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby syzygy620 » February 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm

Seeing as "Founder's Mutation" makes explicit reference to the Syndicate's alien-human hybridization project, I don't see how whatever's coming up will necessarily "retcon" the mytharc. Even if CC takes the show in this direction, it doesn't negate the alien-human hybridization, etc., unless the series specifically states the mytharc was a lie. As for the smaller contradictions, well, we're used to that by now, aren't we?
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby ItsOutThere » March 3rd, 2016, 3:03 pm

Sage97 wrote:If the reboot takes away all the alien abductions of past seasons, we riot! :)

I'll do my little one man protest down here in solidarity with you Americans... That is, if your country is still in one piece should Donald Trump be elected as President. (Just FYI, New Zealand is a beautiful country waiting to be photographed that a) has no guns - not even our police carry them, b) We have only lost 22 police officers on duty in 100 years [this includes car crashes and the likes] and c) we have a smaller population... but big paying jobs! There's one right now for a doctor in this town outside of Hamilton which pays $400K a year plus in 5 years you get the practice you're working in.
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)
ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Previous

Return to X-Files General Discussion