XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

My Struggle - Favourite /Least favourite moments - SPOILERS

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

My Struggle - Favourite /Least favourite moments - SPOILERS

Postby barchick » January 25th, 2016, 4:14 pm

So, I didn't get to watch last night's episode until this morning. I'm not sure how I felt about the episode on the whole..but I am interested in what everyone's thoughts were on it.

Without giving away any spoilers, I would say that the thing that grated on me the most was Mulder and Scully's voices... they sound like they've picked up a 40 a day habit since IWTB.

Scully's wig looked too tight and the poor woman's forehead appeared unnatural and not a perfectly arched brow in sight. Oh I just don't know.

What did you all think?
barchick
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Re: My Struggle - Favourite /Least favourite moments - SPOIL

Postby Andrew80 » January 25th, 2016, 4:35 pm

As I said before, My Struggle is shockingly bad. Everything is wrong. Therefore, it's hard to pick the best moment. Wait, there is an (somewhat) acceptable one: first phone conversation between S and M, when M looks up O'Malley on Youtube, asking "Why should I be interested in this jackass" at first, then immediately getting veeeeeery interested as Tad starts ranting about false-flag operations and conspiracies :) I mean, it's lame and somewhat predictable, but at least it can remind us of the old X-Files.

Least favorite moments-everything else, really. Conversations straight out of a bad fanfiction, both mythological and Mulder-Scully plots are without any semblance of logic, unrecognizable voices from Mulder, Scully and Skinner (seriously, only CSM sounds normal), subdued acting, boring monologues that lead nowhere, both Scully and Mulder doing things totally out of character...I repeat, everything is wrong. The most disappointing moment for me: Mulder, Scully and O'Malley are driving together to see the abductee. Tad says he's going to reveal the "biggest conspiracy ever seen by mankind". Both Mulder and Scully look skeptically at him, and the whole situation immediately calls for a good joke. I mean, it's slam dunk situation for a little comic relief. However, Mulder remains silent and Scully just asks lamely: "what would that be". That one really made me cringe. It was sooooo moronic, totally contrary to everything the original series stood for.

However: don't be discouraged. Good things lie ahead. Founder's Mutation is a return to true form and old X-Files, while The Were Monster is going to blow your mind. In a positive way-it's not just a good episode, it's probably in the top 15 of the whole show. Truly excellent stuff. So funny and emotional at the same time-it made me both laugh and cry in a timespan of 10 minutes. Of course, I utterly embarrassed myself, but there you go...That's what a good X-Files episode does to a loyal fan :)
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby barchick » January 25th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Oooh now you have me intrigued.

I really didn't think they would find it so hard to fall back into their characters. I suppose both DD and GA have been playing other characters for the past 14 or so years, but after playing one character for so long I thought it would have come back naturally.

I also struggled a bit with Scully's face, GA is a beautiful woman, no denying that, but I don't know, she looks so sharp in this.

My fave bit of the episode was definitely the porch scene, least favourite... almost everything else.

I do dig them keeping the original titles mind you.
barchick

Postby Andrew80 » January 25th, 2016, 4:48 pm

barchick wrote:Oooh now you have me intrigued.

I really didn't think they would find it so hard to fall back into their characters. I suppose both DD and GA have been playing other characters for the past 14 or so years, but after playing one character for so long I thought it would have come back naturally.

I also struggled a bit with Scully's face, GA is a beautiful woman, no denying that, but I don't know, she looks so sharp in this.

My fave bit of the episode was definitely the porch scene, least favourite... almost everything else.

I do dig them keeping the original titles mind you.

As I said at the other topic, I had an opportunity to pre-watch the first 3 episodes. Don't worry, it does come back for both of them in the second and third episode. As the shippers like to say-they rediscover the spark and they do things like the Mulder and Scully we all know and love, not like their clones which is the case in Episode 1. I mean, they really hit the nail in the head with the title My Struggle-it was really a struggle to watch through that. I was asking myself the whole time: who are you and what did you do to real Mulder and Scully... :) But again, it gets better, the old dynamic/banter/affection between M and S is back again from Episode 2 onward and acting is also superb.

So, my advice to you: be patient and wait to meet the Were-Monster :)
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby barchick » January 25th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Love it! You have restored my faith.. I want to believe - it can get better.

I agree, it was an aptly named episode. I watched it twice, sadly. First time I was a bit in awe of the fact that it was back on TV, the second time I watched it to take in the story properly because we all know how blimmin confusing the mytharcs eps can be and I thought it just needed another chance. Did nothing for me.

Still, it is nice to see some of the old faces back again, though William B Davis looks more like Mr Burns from the Simpsons now than I remember.

Looking forward to the better episodes. Bring them on :bringo
barchick

Postby maurisap » January 25th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Well... I give a 6 out of 10.

First,I felt wonderful when I heard the opening music.

Then the show started. Disclaimer: I am resentful of CC splitting M&S.

The good:
I found Mulder's little digs at Scully slightly amusing yet sad. You know the ones I am talking about- how she couldn't wait to leave the house, etc.

As much as I hated CC splitting up M&S, I liked that they were friends. The relationship wasn't distant.

Skinner. I love Skinner.

The bad:
There is no witty banter. That's the saddest part of all.

Mulder's announcement that we've all been suckered. I'm sorry, this was a plot point way back in the series. Been there, heard that.

Next- Scully JUST NOW thought she might have alien DNA? Seriously?

How about The "not-geeky-enough" moments. Planes doing surveillance? We are way beyond that. "The 'net'? Way beyond that too.

And the scooped abdomen. Good grief. Enough said on that.

The implausible moments- for 14 years, pencils stayed in the ceiling? Scully gets blood on her neck, but not her clothing, every time she does surgery? O'Malley is free to wander into her surgery area? Scully wants the nurse to interrupt surgery if Mulder calls? O'Malley, who is worried about surveillance, Takes a limo to the country? And a helicopter to Mulder's?

Still, despite its flaws, I'm glad I watched it and I am excited for tonight.

Worst- the dialogue is beyond awful. I think DD and GA did the best they could with it, but here was no way to salvage those lines.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby Eddie Van Blundht » January 25th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Just a thought, but maybe O'Malley isn't who he says he is.

Favorite moment would be seeing and hearing the opening on live tv.

Least favorite moment would be the amount of time I had to watch a meaningless post game show before I could watch xfiles.
Eddie Van Blundht
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Sage97 » January 26th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Maybe O'Malley is an alien?!?!?!

I too miss the witty banter. Maybe in the third episode.
Last edited by Sage97 on January 27th, 2016, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculllaaayyy!!!
-Mulder
Sage97
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby Doug Hutchison » January 27th, 2016, 6:30 pm

I liked the initial Mulder and Scully reunion. They pretty much explained the state of the relationship in about 15 seconds and immediately made me want them to be together, which generally I haven't cared much about.

The Skinner/Mulder scene was horrific. They were talking at each other in some of Chris Carter's worst ever dialogue (and that's a competitive market) and you could barely tell they were even in the same room. That needed reshooting.
Doug Hutchison

Postby orodromeus » February 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

My super-wordy review / annotated commentary of the episode: http://www.eatthecorn.com/2016/01/25/10x1-my-struggle/
This is still the beginning of an arc, so I still have hopes that any inconsistencies that might have arisen will be dealt with. What a way to return from a 14 year absence though! It was not an easy task to accomplish.
EatTheCorn.com: XF mythology - analysis - 1013 interviews - S10 news
orodromeus
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Postby Agent Spooky » February 8th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Favorite: M & S interactions, I felt a connection/chemistry between them, sure some of the acting was a bit off... but it was nice to see

Least Favorite: the new right-wing turn in the conspiracy...no thanks CC, I'll pass on that one
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby lostinlove » February 9th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Well I loved it and went to bed one very happy lady, M/S still love each other, even though they are apart for now, David did the depression very well, liked Sveta, pity she couldn't have stuck around, there's no way that Scully is romantically interested in Tad, so that is out the window. Loved the bit at the beginning where Mulder explained what had been happening over the years to them. Great to see Skinner, looking forward to more of the world's best boss. I'm still a believer and happy to be so, can't wait for next week's!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 10th, 2016, 5:19 pm

I thought it was very good. Even some of the dialogue that had been spoiled (that I was worried would be cringe-worthy) was much better in the flow of the actual episode. Overall I thought the time rolled by so quickly, as I was riveted to the screen!

Both main actors seemed a bit "off" at times, but some of that might be intentional (as they seem to be really playing up how worn down and world weary their characters are). Some of it might have been that they really just took some time to find their footing again. I thought MP did a great job with Skinner.

I'm fearful that CC might be banking on the general public really having no idea of what happened before, such that his new 'twist' on the Mytharc might undo most of the original series. I'm very hopeful that O'Malley will be proven to be a fraud, and that this whole bit about it being really only men behind things (no actual alien colonization) will be shown to be just a red herring (but then we get to why did Mulder fall for it so quickly?)

I think to judge this one fairly, we'll have to see its companion piece ("My Struggle II"); already just the start that we've seen (with the cool photographs being dropped and narrated by Scully this time) seems like it will mirror the beginning excellently.

Overall it was wonderful to see the best show on TV on the small screen again! 8-)
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby ItsOutThere » March 3rd, 2016, 3:31 pm

Thanks for your review Maurisap! I have to agree with a couple of your points;

maurisap wrote: First,I felt wonderful when I heard the opening music.
Then the show started. Disclaimer: I am resentful of CC splitting M&S.

I know that he was never for Mulder and Scully being written together, but that nobody could deny the natural chemistry between GA and DD as the series went on. But surely he could have just had them as they were in Season 7 with the "are they / aren't they / give me more, I'm a shipper!" storylines and subtle glances or touches that made fans go wild (or for those anti-shippers, scream "nooooo!"). I get that the romantic element of the show will come into play should there be a season 11, as it ALWAYS does, but they didn't have to split them :(
maurisap wrote: As much as I hated CC splitting up M&S, I liked that they were friends. The relationship wasn't distant.

At least this was a saving grace. Nothing would have been more awkward than "I haven't seen you since the pedophile priest"

maurisap wrote: The bad: There is no witty banter. That's the saddest part of all.

Thankfully they made up for this lack of witty banter a little bit later on in the series, however I thought they would put their best foot forward in the first episodes (or in the cast here in NZ, the first episode as they premiered as a feature length episode). Witty banter could have at least tried to salvage some of the horrible dialogue... It's as if they wiped Mulder's character slate clean, or tried to intentionally force an awkwardness / lack of chemistry. Just as a personal preference, my favourite episodes were the ones with lots of humour; Small Potatoes, Dreamland, Jose Chung's from Outer Space, Bad Blood, Clyde Bruckman, Arcadia, X-Cops.... Hollywood A.D and the scene of GA teaching Tea how to run in heels by repeatedly running back and forth in shot STILL gets me.

maurisap wrote:Next- Scully JUST NOW thought she might have alien DNA? Seriously?

Cue eye roll :roll:

maurisap wrote:How about The "not-geeky-enough" moments. Planes doing surveillance? We are way beyond that. "The 'net'? Way beyond that too.

I think it's a lot harder now for them to think of something "geeky" when we live in an age of technology where a 2 year old can use a phone better than their parents or grandparents. They came from a time of eye-witness accounts, terrible quality photos and phones without cameras. Now, the majority of the population has a smart phone with more mega-pixels than most digital cameras from the early 2000's and it's not plausible that should something happen, that someone wouldn't have caught it on camera (though I love Mulder's attempt in episode 3). We know that the government is spying on us, in fact even here in New Zealand we are aware that the GCSB has been tracking people, and there's proof! I guess what I am trying to summarize is; in the world we live in where everything is mobile, online or under surveillance, something we've all become acclimatized too, what would be "super geeky" now?
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)
ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby syzygy620 » April 24th, 2016, 5:53 pm

We don't know whether it was the government or aliens behind Sveta's murder. I understand it appears the government is responsible, given that Sveta was going to be interviewed on Tad O'Malley's show, but I can't help but wonder if another force wasn't behind that craft. Makes me wonder, too, what is piloting the craft at the end of My Struggle II...

I have hope that CC is doing what he did once before, in "Gethsemane/Redux/Redux II," and that what everyone is up in arms over turns out to be a red herring.
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Return to X-Files General Discussion