XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Founder's Mutation: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

Founder's Mutation: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Postby Andrew80 » January 26th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Similar to the "My Struggle" topic, here we go:

Favorite moment: Welcome back, you two. :) Yes, indeed. In every sense. Close second: Mulder's dream sequence about William (Scully's a bit too cheesy). Third: old-school, pre-Google banter.

Least favorite moment: The new basement office. That high-tech slick looking computer is totally out of place and SCULLY DOESN'T HAVE A DESK AGAIN...Give the poor woman a proper place to sit, for God sake :)
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Re: Founder's Mutation: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Postby Sage97 » January 26th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Andrew80 wrote:Similar to the "My Struggle" topic, here we go:

Favorite moment: Welcome back, you two. :) Yes, indeed. In every sense. Close second: Mulder's dream sequence about William (Scully's a bit too cheesy). Third: old-school, pre-Google banter.

Least favorite moment: The new basement office. That high-tech slick looking computer is totally out of place and SCULLY DOESN'T HAVE A DESK AGAIN...Give the poor woman a proper place to sit, for God sake :)

I thought it was funny that Scully still doesn't have a desk. I also like the basement.

The William scenes were my least favorite.
Sculllaaayyy!!!
-Mulder
Sage97
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby barchick » January 27th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Least favourite - the dream sequences, I just wish they dedicated a whole ep to the William issue and not ill timed dreams rushed in here and there

Skinner's office - too bright and clinical looking

Favorite - Mulderism at the end about not being able to 'unsee that'
barchick
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby Doug Hutchison » January 27th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Really enjoyed Skinner dismissing the DoD guy then "I assume you got copies?".

Not enjoying Scully at all. I'm worried that this was due to be fifth and she's still boring, whining Season 9 Scully. Was really hoping she'd get more fun as the series went on.

Good episode though. Didn't expect it to end without a conclusion like that and or was only then that I realised I'd been watching it for 45 minutes. Looking forward to seeing how it ties in.
Doug Hutchison
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby syzygy620 » February 6th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Overall the pacing in this episode is much better than in "My Struggle," but the conclusion was rushed and I felt the story of how the boy found the links that led toward his father and sister was basically untold. But the link between the genetic research and the new twist on gov't conspiracy and William's nature was pretty solid. I for one liked the dream sequences and how Mulder and Scully each had their own dreams/visions of what they would have had with their child. These sequences could have had a bit more "introduction" or transition (Mulder and Scully looking at pictures before the sequences, for instance) but whatever. Of the first three episodes, this is my pick.
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Spooky » February 8th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Favorite moments: the dream sequences, I liked them better than I thought I would; the scary bits

Least favorite moments: the M & S interaction -- it just felt off to me, didn't feel any connection/chemistry between them at all (and no that isn't just including any sexual chemistry -- it's just the general stuff I was paying attention to). It felt almost alien to see it. Almost fell asleep while watching it.
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 10th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I really liked Skin Man's assumption that they'd made copies as well.

I felt the dream sequences were okay, but did almost feel "tacked on". And I thought the episode ended really abruptly.

Has anyone else noticed that - for the first time - the episodes now show Glen Morgan in addition to CC as Executive Producer? (first thing you see when they cut to the credits)
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby lostinlove » February 16th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Have now seen this twice, last night for the first time and watched tonight's repeat, and I loved it, not only a good XF but M/S caring interaction and the lovely pieces about William, looking forward to next week's episode!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby orodromeus » February 19th, 2016, 9:10 am

My detailed review/analysis: http://www.eatthecorn.com/2016/01/28/10x2-founders-mutation/

I wanted to attract the attention of you XF fans to the following bit:

The "powers" of the children in Nugenics recall others that we have seen in alien/human hybrids. The ability to breathe underwater exhibited by young Molly is also another trait shared by (certain?) alien/human hybrids, most notably Dr. Secare in 1X23: The Erlenmeyer Flask. The telekinesis exhibited by older Molly is something we saw William do (if he was a hybrid! 9X01/02). We didn't see Kyle's mind control, but mind reading (Jeremiah Smith, 3X24: Talitha Cumi; Gibson Praise, a human with alien genes activated, 5X20: The End). Kyle's mind connection that expresses itself like a stringent sound is like what Mulder experienced when he started being a mind reader, when the alien DNA he was carrying started expressing itself (6X22: Biogenesis / 7X03: The Sixth Extinction).

Augustus "Founder" Goldman seems to be one more doctor attempting to experiment and study with fetuses and babies and observe their effects. He could be trying to understand whether the syndromes caused by naturally occurring genetic anomalies could be used to better the species and develop specific abilities, to create mutated babies that express specific selected or inserted traits. He might indeed be using alien DNA provided by the DoD (we don't really know, he didn't answer Scully's question) -- or he might be trying to activate dormant genes in human DNA that we know are of alien origin (6X01: The Beginning, also mentioned in "My Struggle").

We had understood previously that such experiments were conducted in order to create the perfect alien/human hybrid in preparation for colonization (6X12: One Son). Now with "My Struggle"'s upheaval, it is less clear. The titular "founder's mutation" does point to the creation of a new race: is that a slave race of hybrids to serve aliens, or is it a mutated race of humans resistant to the alien invasion?
EatTheCorn.com: XF mythology - analysis - 1013 interviews - S10 news
orodromeus
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 20th, 2016, 1:07 am

Good questions, oro! I suppose it's all going to come down to MSII, which hopefully will bring a lot of this into better focus.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Return to X-Files General Discussion