barchick
barchick
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
barchick

Home Again: Favourite / Least Favourite moments

Postby barchick » February 9th, 2016, 5:27 am

Meh... that's pretty much how I feel about this episode. I don't mind a reduced season but I said it once and I'll say it again, we needed more than 6 episodes to get back into this. MOW stories crammed with mytharc references, it just doesn't work for me, it needs the proper concentration IMHO.

However - best bits.. Mulder on his own in Philadelphia, dialogue was snappy and funny. Love to see some Mulder wit on display. Particularly liked the alley scene.

Gillian Anderson (despite the bizarre frog throat voice) has always been a superior actress and she portrays the deep emotional distress that Scully experiences incredibly well. I really felt for her in this episode (when I wasn't willing her to clear her throat... drink some water woman!)

Least favourite - Trash Man... does anyone have a clue what he was saying half the time? I rewatched his scene a couple of times and genuinely wound up giving up. The man acted the part so well that he was incomprehensible!

The William thread.. It was insinuated that Scully left Mulder because of his depression in My Struggle, but when they were sitting on the log at the end I was left wondering if perhaps Mulder was starting to feel like he'd dodged a bullet by having the relationship end (and I'm a shipper!).

Scully's determination to return to work before Maggie Scully's body had even cooled down was also a bit disconcerting.

No Bill Jnr, now don't misunderstand me, cannot stand the man, but who wasn't dying for some Mulder / Bill interaction? Any why oh why were none of the children at the 'funeral'?

And lastly, not enough Maggie Scully for me! I'd have liked a flashback of Scully and Maggie in recent times rather than the Mulder at Scully's bedside during One Breath clip. I think they missed a diamond there, that would have been far more emotional.

I'd give it a 6 out of ten. It had promise and could have been great, but I couldn't help but compare it to Arcadia in a sense, it was a similar type of idea only dealing with the homeless rather than the privileged white-bred America.

6 episodes, so much history... it's starting to feel like this just isn't working as well as it could.

syzygy620
syzygy620
syzygy620

Re: Home Again: Favourite / Least Favourite moments

Postby syzygy620 » February 9th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Watched it last night. I have the habit of giving each episode a second watch 1-2 days afterwards, but I'll give my initial opinions.

Sheila Larken (Maggie Scully) was way underused. Couldn't she have awaken for just more than a second, maybe had a few lines of dialogue with Scully? For the fact this is the last time we'll see Mama Scully, I wish the actress had been able to do more than just lie there. Definitely my least favorite aspect of the episode.

I like the concept of the Trashman/Band-Aid Nose Man (what a name!) and thought the MOTW aspect was pretty solid. As I think, on the whole, I prefer MOTW/stand-alone episodes to the mytharc, this episode felt more like the Mulder & Scully/MOTW pattern episodes of the past, even more so than Founder's Mutation. I guess that's something I'm struggling with so far this season: the format of the episodes just feel a bit off to me.

But again, same sort of problem as with My Struggle: too much is crammed into 45 minutes.

Overall a good episode. I think I prefer it the were-Monster episode and put it about on-par with Founder's Mutation.

Andrew80
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » February 9th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Watched it tonight. I honestly don't know. It's strange. I didn't hate it (my wife, who's in the US and watched it yesterday predicted I would). It was not like My Struggle, where everything was wrong. Some things got done terrific here, some things got badly wrong and some are just...strange. All these things are mixed up and what you got is...I don't know what we got, actually.This episode is an X-file itself :)

Ok, the things I like: first of all-murder scenes. Gory, gruesome and scary. It's hard to pull of both gory and scary at the same time-gory looks plain silly on film most of the time. Here it did not. The murder of a female city administrator, with that terrific, terrific song in the background (Downtown by Petula Clark) was captured particularly perfectly. It's also a subtle nod to original "Home" and THAT Johhny Mathis song (and scene).

Secondly: acting. Both DD and GA are superb. The chemistry between them is at its best in this episode too.

Thirdly: M&S banter. Unlike My Struggle, where it sounded straight outta bad fan-fiction, here it was beautifully done. "You're a dark wizard, Mulder" is possibly the best line of the entire season so far. It sums up perfectly the whirlwind of emotions Scully experiences, towards life in general, towards Mulder, towards her family and the son she gave for adoption. However, it's not just that, entire episode is bristling with good, snappy banter, both between the leads and during Mulder's solo investigation (while Scully is tending to her mom).

Fourthly: Ending scene. Mulder and Scully together, against the whole wide world. That's it. That's X-Files in a nutshell.
The similar scene exists in "Paper Clip" too (emotional Scully declaring war against the world over her sister's dead body and Mulder holding and supporting her) but here it's done much better-them two, sitting on a bench, an urn that symbolizes death and destruction of their families between their feet, refusing to give in to the world that tries to suffocate them. Simply beautiful (even cheesy Scully's monologue before that didn't manage to ruin the perfect image).

Things I didn't like: first of all-the X-file. It was unoriginal (Kaddish had the very same idea, didn't it?), underdeveloped and the resolution was underwhelming. Band-aid nose man was unmemorable too-I watched the episode half an hour ago and I've already forgotten how he looked like :)

Secondly: confusion. The whole episode is very confusing, and so are things Mulder and Scully do. It's especially the case after Scully's mother dies- one moment Scully's crying her eyes out on Mulder's shoulder, the next she's trading jokes with him. The scene where she's trying to revive her mom is also overdone (though acted superbly by GA)-Scully may experience deep emotions, but she's not hysterical. It's totally against her character to be hysterical. That (people doing things that are totally against their characters) is one of the main problems of the revival-there's a lot of that in My Struggle and some of that in Founder's Mutation too.

Third: The connection Scully made between the fates of Band-Aid Man and William was tenuous, to put it mildly. To put it realistically-totally illogical. Seriously, what kind of mother longing to see her son once again would willingly compare him to a monster who tears people to shreds? "I want to believe we didn't treat him like trash" was a strong closing line, but again-not an entirely logical one, as it was already established (many times) that Scully gave William for adoption not because of lack of love and care for him. The guilt trip Scully experiences should go towards recriminating herself for not having the courage to stay with him (and to hell with consequences), not towards this. After all, she's made a sacrifice, an enormous one: she sacrificed her wish for motherhood and condemned herself to lifetime of guilt and self-recrimination over that decision just to make her son safe. You can agree and disagree with that course of action, but neither she, nor anyone else, can accuse her of treating her son like trash. It's simply illogical.

However, these are problems with William arc in general and it would've been much better for the show had he never been born, to tell the truth. It was also a huge mistake to address it in the revival-all William arc does is muddy the water and make things confusing.

To conclude: in some way, this episode mirrors the whole revival-incredible highs mixed with terrible lows and all put together. No wonder all this makes X-Philes feel strange. Still, you shouldn't skip the episode-there are some terrific, truly beautiful moments in there. I would rate it 3 out of 5, because Founder's Mutation (I gave it a 4) was more coherent and an X-file was much, much better developed, but it's still a fairly good episode. Strange and full of flaws, but good nevertheless.

barchick
barchick
barchick

Postby barchick » February 10th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Andrew80 wrote:Watched it tonight. I honestly don't know. It's strange. I didn't hate it (my wife, who's in the US and watched it yesterday predicted I would). It was not like My Struggle, where everything was wrong. Some things got done terrific here, some things got badly wrong and some are just...strange. All these things are mixed up and what you got is...I don't know what we got, actually.This episode is an X-file itself :)

Ok, the things I like: first of all-murder scenes. Gory, gruesome and scary. It's hard to pull of both gory and scary at the same time-gory looks plain silly on film most of the time. Here it did not. The murder of a female city administrator, with that terrific, terrific song in the background (Downtown by Petula Clark) was captured particularly perfectly. It's also a subtle nod to original "Home" and THAT Johhny Mathis song (and scene).

Secondly: acting. Both DD and GA are superb. The chemistry between them is at its best in this episode too.

Thirdly: M&S banter. Unlike My Struggle, where it sounded straight outta bad fan-fiction, here it was beautifully done. "You're a dark wizard, Mulder" is possibly the best line of the entire season so far. It sums up perfectly the whirlwind of emotions Scully experiences, towards life in general, towards Mulder, towards her family and the son she gave for adoption. However, it's not just that, entire episode is bristling with good, snappy banter, both between the leads and during Mulder's solo investigation (while Scully is tending to her mom).

Fourthly: Ending scene. Mulder and Scully together, against the whole wide world. That's it. That's X-Files in a nutshell.
The similar scene exists in "Paper Clip" too (emotional Scully declaring war against the world over her sister's dead body and Mulder holding and supporting her) but here it's done much better-them two, sitting on a bench, an urn that symbolizes death and destruction of their families between their feet, refusing to give in to the world that tries to suffocate them. Simply beautiful (even cheesy Scully's monologue before that didn't manage to ruin the perfect image).

Things I didn't like: first of all-the X-file. It was unoriginal (Kaddish had the very same idea, didn't it?), underdeveloped and the resolution was underwhelming. Band-aid nose man was unmemorable too-I watched the episode half an hour ago and I've already forgotten how he looked like :)

Secondly: confusion. The whole episode is very confusing, and so are things Mulder and Scully do. It's especially the case after Scully's mother dies- one moment Scully's crying her eyes out on Mulder's shoulder, the next she's trading jokes with him. The scene where she's trying to revive her mom is also overdone (though acted superbly by GA)-Scully may experience deep emotions, but she's not hysterical. It's totally against her character to be hysterical. That (people doing things that are totally against their characters) is one of the main problems of the revival-there's a lot of that in My Struggle and some of that in Founder's Mutation too.

Third: The connection Scully made between the fates of Band-Aid Man and William was tenuous, to put it mildly. To put it realistically-totally illogical. Seriously, what kind of mother longing to see her son once again would willingly compare him to a monster who tears people to shreds? "I want to believe we didn't treat him like trash" was a strong closing line, but again-not an entirely logical one, as it was already established (many times) that Scully gave William for adoption not because of lack of love and care for him. The guilt trip Scully experiences should go towards recriminating herself for not having the courage to stay with him (and to hell with consequences), not towards this. After all, she's made a sacrifice, an enormous one: she sacrificed her wish for motherhood and condemned herself to lifetime of guilt and self-recrimination over that decision just to make her son safe. You can agree and disagree with that course of action, but neither she, nor anyone else, can accuse her of treating her son like trash. It's simply illogical.

However, these are problems with William arc in general and it would've been much better for the show had he never been born, to tell the truth. It was also a huge mistake to address it in the revival-all William arc does is muddy the water and make things confusing.

To conclude: in some way, this episode mirrors the whole revival-incredible highs mixed with terrible lows and all put together. No wonder all this makes X-Philes feel strange. Still, you shouldn't skip the episode-there are some terrific, truly beautiful moments in there. I would rate it 3 out of 5, because Founder's Mutation (I gave it a 4) was more coherent and an X-file was much, much better developed, but it's still a fairly good episode. Strange and full of flaws, but good nevertheless.

Great review

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » February 10th, 2016, 5:07 pm

barchick wrote:
Great review

Thank you :)

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 12th, 2016, 6:35 pm

Agreed. Great review. The only thing I'd add is that it's not that uncommon for normal, very serious and non-hysterical people to suddenly become that way (momentarily) when dealing with something like this. I chalk a bit of that up to Scully being in an environment where she's normally very "in charge" (the top of the food chain, for the most part), so she starts barking orders like she has any authority at all there.

I also thought Band-aid Nose Man was a great villain and quite scary and memorable, though I thought he was too similar to what we saw in "Arcadia" (him being a Tulpa, I thought that was out of character for Mulder not to remember or reference that one, and I thought "Arcadia" was more similar to this, whereas "Kaddish" dealt more with unrequited love bringing back somebody as an undead golem (with motivations of vengeance).

I also agree with barchick, that Scully's gung-ho insistence to get back to work seemed strange as well (they probably tried to do that to rationalize why she would pick the case up again so soon after dealing with family trauma).

Did they actually show the funeral? (I remember them talking about why Bill couldn't get there, but not them showing the actual funeral).

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » February 13th, 2016, 12:17 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:Agreed. Great review. The only thing I'd add is that it's not that uncommon for normal, very serious and non-hysterical people to suddenly become that way (momentarily) when dealing with something like this. I chalk a bit of that up to Scully being in an environment where she's normally very "in charge" (the top of the food chain, for the most part), so she starts barking orders like she has any authority at all there.

Scully's mom was at least 80. It surely was a painful event for Scully, but it couldn't have been completely unexpected, especially considering she was a doctor.

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I also thought Band-aid Nose Man was a great villain and quite scary and memorable, though I thought he was too similar to what we saw in "Arcadia" (him being a Tulpa, I thought that was out of character for Mulder not to remember or reference that one, and I thought "Arcadia" was more similar to this, whereas "Kaddish" dealt more with unrequited love bringing back somebody as an undead golem (with motivations of vengeance).

I agree about the motivations, but the idea of monster-creation is the same: you create a spiritual entity out of your thoughts, beliefs and emotions to do your bid. And for me (it's subjective of course) he wasn't particularly memorable. Not in the way Tooms or Roche or Pfaster or Leonard Betts have been, for example.

[quote=TruthIsOutThere]I also agree with barchick, that Scully's gung-ho insistence to get back to work seemed strange as well (they probably tried to do that to rationalize why she would pick the case up again so soon after dealing with family trauma).

Did they actually show the funeral? (I remember them talking about why Bill couldn't get there, but not them showing the actual funeral).[/quote]

There was no funeral, Scully's mom got cremated and she (and Mulder) received her urn.

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » February 13th, 2016, 12:18 pm

And of course, thanks a lot for the compliments :)

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » February 14th, 2016, 9:56 am

I would give this a 4 of 5. Maybe.

Good parts were dialogue, acting, chemistry. It's so good to see M&S fogether, and I am going to interpret Scullys last lines as a reconciliation. She said she was always going to be with him. Last week she said she had forgotten how much she enjoyed the work. So to me- they're back together.

I found the "I've got to work" a little odd, but I have to admit I went to work the day After my mother died unexpectedly for two reasons- to wrap up things only I could do and to try to fill my mind with something but the pain.

I am livid that CC brought back Mama Scully only to kill her off. This was senseless and another typically senseless ending to a character that XF writers seem to enjoy. I cannot think of any reason that her death helped forward the story. This was no "Beyond the Sea" where her fathers death placedher in a situation that caused her to move forward into questioning the supernatural. It didn't bring about character development. All we found out was that Charlie is estranged. Now, after YEARS of Internet discussion and jokes about the disappearing Charlie, it was kind of cool to see this addressed but does anyone believe MAma Scully would be estranged from her own child? Maggie? With the character development she's had, after losing a child? No.

The trash man was a big ripoff of Arcadia, with some Grotesque added to the mix.

Unless all the William talk is adding to find in him,I want it done. Scully needs help dealing with the guilt and I have to wonder if she was part of their breakup reason and not just Mulder's depression.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Andrew80
Andrew80
Andrew80

Postby Andrew80 » February 14th, 2016, 12:19 pm

maurisap wrote:
Unless all the William talk is adding to find in him,I want it done. Scully needs help dealing with the guilt and I have to wonder if she was part of their breakup reason and not just Mulder's depression.

Maybe it was Mulder's reticence and/or inability to help her. Imagine an Oxford-educated psychologist who also happens to be a love of your life not helping you dealing with the guilt. Must ha've been a terrible letdown :)

However, since the revival is shippier than anything we've seen from them (including I Want To Believe and Seasons 8 and 9), I don't see any reason for MSR fans to be angry. I mean, they literally hugged or comforted each-other or shared some other kind of emotional moment in every single episode so far. In Season 7, as far as I remember, they kissed once, hugged once and had couple of beers together on screen for the entire season, and those were supposed to be the times when they started their romance. They've already exceeded that quota in 4 episodes here :)

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 16th, 2016, 5:38 pm

maurisap wrote:I found the "I've got to work" a little odd, but I have to admit I went to work the day After my mother died unexpectedly for two reasons- to wrap up things only I could do and to try to fill my mind with something but the pain.

I am livid that CC brought back Mama Scully only to kill her off. This was senseless and another typically senseless ending to a character that XF writers seem to enjoy. I cannot think of any reason that her death helped forward the story. This was no "Beyond the Sea" where her fathers death placedher in a situation that caused her to move forward into questioning the supernatural. It didn't bring about character development. All we found out was that Charlie is estranged. Now, after YEARS of Internet discussion and jokes about the disappearing Charlie, it was kind of cool to see this addressed but does anyone believe MAma Scully would be estranged from her own child? Maggie? With the character development she's had, after losing a child? No.

Good point about Scully jumping back in to not have to wallow in the pain; that actually makes sense to me.

As for Ma Scully's death, we now see that it's somewhat tied in to "Babylon", giving a reason why Mulder didn't want to trouble Scully with a life/death issue, so soon after her own mother's death.

lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
lostinlove

Postby lostinlove » March 2nd, 2016, 10:49 am

Sad to see Scully's Mum die, and from the same thing her Dad did, but lovely acting by Gillian in these scenes. Is it because our televisions are more sophisticated than when the original series was shown that the gory scenes looked, well, more gory! Feel like I've always felt that M/S are still together in mind and heart, even though not sharing same abode at present, loved all the closeness in this episode.
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing

lostinlove
lostinlove

Postby lostinlove » March 3rd, 2016, 3:04 am

Me Again! Can't seem to find the voting thingy for this one!

lostinlove
lostinlove

Postby lostinlove » March 3rd, 2016, 3:07 am

Found it, woke up now!