XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

My Struggle 2: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

My Struggle 2: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Postby Andrew80 » February 23rd, 2016, 12:39 pm

There were some marginal improvements compared to My Struggle: the acting was good, it was internally consistent (of course, in a wider mythology content it was totally nonsensical) and the cliffhanger almost certainly means there'll be more X-Files episodes and at least some of these will feature Mulder and Scully. Therefore, I rate it 2 out of 5. Of course, almost everything else is wrong, as it was expected: no mystery and all action, Scully and Mulder doing things that normally take weeks to be figured out in seconds, man surviving a direct hit from a hellfire missile and living for another 12 years, story that is totally inconsistent with original mythology (ABH, black oil, hybridization anyone?)and so on. However, after the strong run of four MotW episodes (with two really excellent ones) and great ratings it must be said Season 10 was a big success.

Favorite moment: Alien Scully. She was so cute :)

Least favorite moment: The whole FBI could not figure out where Mulder was, came Miller and tracked him with a program on MULDER'S computer in MULDER AND SCULLY'S office. Seriously, how stupid was that? :)
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Re: My Struggle 2: Favorite/Least Favorite Moments

Postby syzygy620 » February 23rd, 2016, 4:28 pm

I haven't rewatched this yet, which I've done for all the other episodes at least once. But I'll say I enjoyed My Struggle II more than My Struggle (the premiere). I liked how "large scale" the episode felt. Have we ever had that many extras in an episode? You definitely caught the immediacy of what was happening, and that was an intriguing direction.

As for everyone saying the "new conspiracy" contradicts everything that came before, I don't agree, and I don't really think that's CC's intention. I mean, there are aliens. No one's contradicting that. I really hope that when X-Files returns for either Season 11 or (hopefully) another movie that CC carefully relates his new direction to what came before. Because I feel he can, for the most part, incorporate the "conspiracy of men" with what all's come before. Why else have Scully narrate so much of what was in the original series? I think he needs more time (more than 2 45-minute episodes, that's for sure!) to lay it out exactly what he sees with this new conspiracy.

Again, the same problem with My Struggle: CC is trying to accomplish WAY too much in 45 minutes. I don't understand why we couldn't have had a 2-hr finale. I liked that it was more action-oriented than My Struggle because the premiere relied too much on exposition/dialogue.

The cliffhanger... that was certainly abrupt. Personally, I think it's a lazy cliffhanger. The show's done it too many times before.

You think there's a shot in hell that CC reads or cares about what fans/critics say or write? I really hope he gets some fan input for the next XF chapter. I personally think he should work again with Spotnitz or Rob Bowman to keep himself in check.
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby barchick » February 23rd, 2016, 4:39 pm

My Struggle.....what, what and what?!

I'm glad we have returned to a mytharc where I don't really have a scooby what is happening again... I think.

Favourite moments.... I'm not sure I had any. The fight scene was pretty well done I guess... I'm really reaching here though.

Least Favourite - most of them.

Scully comes up with a cure in a matter of minutes, sequencing your genome is apparently a 10 minute job, I mean Scully and Einstein managed to do a DNA blot twice in one episode after all. The leap that everyone in the US was about to come down with some kind of virus or illness was illogical and I actually found myself siding with Einstein on all of her arguments, Scully was making some pretty huge leaps.

Miller turning up at CSMs home to get Mulder out...made me want to buy the phone tracking software, but was still pretty ridiculous. I'm amazed that no one else thought of using the software. It was admittedly a nice nod to the fact that Mulder had a bit of bad luck in the original series with keeping a handle on his phone.

Monica sold out! That genuinely shocked me, following her impassioned speech about the truth at Mulder's trial in the finale, she suddenly decided she wanted to save her own hide and ignore the truth after all? Completely out of character, I used to quite like her. It feels like they just brought her back for the sake of bringing her back, much like TLG.

Scully's final diagnosis that Mulder needed stem cells to survive, and that those had to come from William.... huh?

The whole episode has left me scratching my head and not particularly wanting to watch it again to even try to understand it, I doubt it would make any sense the second time around either. I just hope that Mr Carter has thought this one through better than the last mytharc because at the minute I can't see this lasting more than one more run.

More MOTW, less Mr Carter next season please?
barchick
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby Andrew80 » February 23rd, 2016, 5:29 pm

Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 25th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Many of you have posted some of the ridiculous things from this episode, but allow me to add a few more (even though I enjoyed much from this ep, like the pacing and the overall large scenes of panic and society breaking down):

- So the Mulder who is paranoid enough to cover the camera on his laptop not only has a "find my phone" app on his desktop, but leaves his laptop open and it HAS NO PASSWORD!?!

- Scully - all 5' nothing of her - can just shout at a bunch of looters and they all skulk away like chastised children?

- Monica Reyes is suddenly a turncoat, for "reasons that made sense to her at the time"? He couldn't have come up with something better than that? (like that she did it to keep William safe, for example?)

- I've done many DNA swabs of people before, and the instructions are to swab the mouth for 30 seconds; like all the rest of it, they simply decided to make things quicker (by a factor of 10 to 100) for the sake of TV

- Scully is the only one who can drive on the sidewalk, and only she is able to navigate around all the other stuck cars?

Things like the above are just plain bad writing and direction. Overall I've been a staunch supporter of CC, but he clearly needs someone else to rein him in and help him out.

FWIW, though, he says that he does read reviews, so hopefully he'll accept some of the constructive criticism for the inevitable Season 11. I think this article puts it perfectly, how he's got great ideas, but just needs to have some help at times.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby lostinlove » March 17th, 2016, 6:34 am

Least favourite moment, they weren't together much but at least they were at the end. Liked this episode much more than Babylon, reminded me of the old days quite a lot, won't go into the wrongs and rights of whether CSM should have returned or not, that's been well covered, but it was intriguing that he's still there mixing it up! Cliffhanger ending I liked, hoping for season 11, but if we don't get that, there is also fanfic to finish the story off. Hope we see William if there is one, would like to know how he is, and will he want to get to know Mum and Dad, or does he know about them already? Will give this episode a 9 and a half, taken half away for the being separated most of the time. Nice to see Reyes again, wish we'd seen more of Skinner in the episodes. Now it's all over, I''ll go and lie in a darkened room I think !!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby syzygy620 » March 24th, 2016, 6:20 pm

I really want to believe that the direction CC seems to be taking the mythology is more thoroughly described next time around. I honestly think I won't be able to fully form an opinion on "My Struggle II" until the series returns in whatever form. Because there's so much dropped within 45 minutes that needs explaining, if the next episode does delve deeper into aspects of "My Struggle II," namely how it relates to the original mythology (please, no retconning) and Reyes' role with CSM, then this episode could rate much more favorably in my eyes. So much hinges on what comes next!

The fact that CSM is alive... I can accept this. Should he have stayed dead, and should a new nemesis have been introduced? I think so. But he's here, it doesn't appear he's a clone, and so I can accept that he is just the luckiest man alive. Skin can melt off your face and with medical technology, OK, new skin can be grafted. I can buy this. I can buy this more than I can buy the idea that CC is neglecting his original mythology and just doing whatever he wants.
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Spooky » April 5th, 2016, 12:14 pm

@TheTruthIsOutThere:

I agree with what you said.

- So the Mulder who is paranoid enough to cover the camera on his laptop not only has a "find my phone" app on his desktop, but leaves his laptop open and it HAS NO PASSWORD!?!

Word. That makes NO sense. Why would he ever leave his computer unprotected? Especially given the environment these days? It doesn't fit his character.

- Scully - all 5' nothing of her - can just shout at a bunch of looters and they all skulk away like chastised children?

She's a superhero, don'tcha know? :roll: I just hate that they made her into this, but made Mulder into a loser. WTF?! :x

- Scully is the only one who can drive on the sidewalk, and only she is able to navigate around all the other stuck cars?

Same as above. ^ About the superhero thing.

- Monica Reyes is suddenly a turncoat, for "reasons that made sense to her at the time"? He couldn't have come up with something better than that? (like that she did it to keep William safe, for example?)

Exactly. Such a cop out. But that's nothing new. He did the same with Mulder's depression. Nothing like glossing things over.

Things like the above are just plain bad writing and direction. Overall I've been a staunch supporter of CC, but he clearly needs someone else to rein him in and help him out.

Definitely. That's why IWTB was at least decent. Frank was there helping out.

I HATED the end scene. It felt so sterile. The way Scully reacted to Mulder made no sense. It could have been to anyone. :dwc I liked the lead up, so seeing it end so anti-climatically felt all kinds of off. :dk
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby TruthIsOutThere » April 14th, 2016, 4:38 pm

I should mention that I briefly spoke to Joe Harris, the writer of the S10/S11 comics, at Emerald City Comic Con last week. I told him that his S10 was better than CC's S10, and his facial expression told me that he completely agreed. All he could say was "no comment". But it was clear that he agreed when I said that CC f'd up the Mythology! :-o
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby orodromeus » April 24th, 2016, 4:30 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I should mention that I briefly spoke to Joe Harris, the writer of the S10/S11 comics, at Emerald City Comic Con last week. I told him that his S10 was better than CC's S10, and his facial expression told me that he completely agreed. All he could say was "no comment". But it was clear that he agreed when I said that CC f'd up the Mythology! :-o

Thanks, interesting! ;-) And not too surprising either.
I thought as much in my last review for the Season 11 comics, which had to be rushed to a conclusion because of the revival: http://www.eatthecorn.com/2016/04/24/s116-8-the-lowdown/
EatTheCorn.com: XF mythology - analysis - 1013 interviews - S10 news
orodromeus
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Return to X-Files General Discussion