XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Least favorite X Files episodes?

Moderators: ItsOutThere, Quest, TruthIsOutThere

Re: Least favorite X Files episodes?

Postby JeSouhaite » April 1st, 2011, 8:58 pm

OH, RM! You're breaking my heart. Hollywood AD and JCFOS are two of my favs. I can understand your frets over Hollywood AD, but JCFOS is brilliant. If I weren't so sore from doing yard work, I'd be able to come up with something to convince you that JCFOS is indeed a brilliant piece of work. In fact, this will be on my "to do" list.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123
JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby SpecialAgent88 » April 2nd, 2011, 9:06 am

JX, I'll really be waiting for your review because JCFOS is one of the few before season 8 episodes that are on my NOT favorite lists too. I don't know what it is, and I've tried to watch it many times, but each time I find myself having a hard time watching JCFOS?
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby Agent Skulder » April 2nd, 2011, 4:47 pm

Just a suggestion for anyone having trouble getting through JCFOS: watch it like you'd watch Monty Python or a (good) SNL series of skits. It's not the story as much as it's the rich satire, the dialogue, all the tongue in cheek ... Where else can you find Jesse Ventura, the late Charles Nelson Reilly and Alex Trebeck (not known for poking fun at himself) in one place? Plus the mockery of all the ridiculous, ludicrous and hypocritical censorship on TV?

Also - on the IMDb.com there's no lack of lousy User Reviews. For this episode, everyone for once was unanimous with their praise.
One example:
The best X files ever!
10/10 | bearian | 25 Sep 2006
There are so many great things about this episode: 1. Charles Nelson Reilly steals the show. He is a comic genius. 2. The show highlights many of the urban legends, myths, and nomenclature used in UFOlogy. 3. All of the acting is fine. 4. Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebeck as MIB. 5. Are the government agents really aliens? 6. Great lines, such as: "I read it because I wanted to, not because I had to." "Crazy?!(underline)" "I'm making a whole new genre." 'I know how that is." 7. Is Scully actually a man in drag? 8. Did Mulder really eat a hole pie? The list could go on forever. This is quintessential X files, a must-see if you see even one of the show's episodes.
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby AllThingsScully » April 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:My top 2:

S P A C E (imagine screaming)
The Field Where I Died (and nearly lost my sh*t trying to follow the plot.)

From the top of my head; these are the 2 episodes that came to mind aswell. I can't really think of other episodes I didn't like, mostly also because even when I think the story is not all that great, the characters make the episode still worth watching. But Space is the one I truly remember I litterall my fell asleep with! At first I also didn't like any of the episodes that didn't have any or very little Scully in it (Musing Of The Cigarette Smoking Man, 3, etc. etc.) but after watching them again I learned to appreciate them. I also used to hate Doggett when I was younger and I remember hating John Doe aswell because it was all about Doggett, but again I grew older gave him another chance and now I don't really hate him anymore. He's alright. /end rant xD
AllThingsScully
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Eugene Victor Tooms » April 2nd, 2011, 6:06 pm

Skulder has said it all :dd
Eugene Victor Tooms
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby ReynardMuldrake » April 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

yes ok but i still think Jose chung sucks! lol thats my opinion

RM
ReynardMuldrake

Postby Agent Skulder » April 2nd, 2011, 7:16 pm

..... which is the beauty of forums! We'd all be asleep at our keyboards or keypads if we had the same opinions. :D
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby SpecialAgent88 » April 2nd, 2011, 8:00 pm

AS, what's really weird is that I know lots and lots of X Files fans love JCFOS and I would say the majority of fans like the episode. I've tried to like it and given it so many chances, but it just falls short to me and I don't really think its that funny, it put me to sleep the last time I watched it. Maybe it's because I'm not a Monte Python fan either, so I guess that could explain the reason. It's still one of the few episodes that I skip during my re-watch of the entire series.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88

Postby redfoxykiwiphroot » April 3rd, 2011, 9:16 am

Just gonna add my 2pence to the discussion...

I liked JCFOS, because twisted, dark humour is my kinda thang! I also looove Bad Blood & Humbug, plus War of the Coprophages & Syzygy. And Small Potatoes is one of my all time faves too!
The first time I saw TFWID I wasn't keen on it, but I watched it again and shed a little tear at the acting, and the thought that souls come back together time and time again is an appealing premise to me.

The episodes I can happily skip through on my DVDs because I feel they are the weakest in the season they are in are;
Miracle Man, Born Again,
Firewalker, Excelsis Dei,
Fearful Symmetry, 2Shy,
Teso Dos Bichos, Hell Money,
Teliko, El Mundo Gira,
Schizogeny, All Souls,
Alpha, Agua Mala,
First Person Shooter, Chimera, FightClub,
Invocation, Alone,
Hell Bound, Daemonicus

Im also not keen on the Emily/Christmas Carol and NIHT two parters, but I still watch them!
redfoxykiwiphroot

Postby SpecialAgent88 » April 3rd, 2011, 9:27 am

Wow redfoxykiwiphroot, that's a pretty long lists, and I love Emily/Christmas Carol. Some of the others I really like because they have such good Mulder and Scully banter moments, some are just classics to me. Looks like you love the comedy episodes, they contain some of my favorites too.

The witty, intelligent and feisty banter between Mulder and Scully is one of things I love the most about the X Files.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby redfoxykiwiphroot » October 5th, 2011, 8:43 am

I know... I don't HATE the eps, they're just not my faves. I could just skip through them for the little M&S bits!
redfoxykiwiphroot

Postby Daedroth » September 22nd, 2012, 2:32 am

Pretty much the entire first season (some exceptions like "Deep Throat", "Ice", "Fallen Angel", "E.B.E", "Darkness Falls", "The Erlenmeyer Flask" and perhaps another one or two). A few from the second season ("Dod Kalm", "Fearful Symmetry", "Excelsis Dei", "Firewalker", "3"). Most of the mythology in the last two seasons.
Daedroth
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby LondonLady » September 29th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I think that my least favourite episode is, "Improbable." I thought that it was just plain silly. However, there might be more to that episode than I think, so I might watch it again one day. As it is, I have never seen it again since its original broadcast.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby OneShoe » May 12th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Okay, I thought I would resurrect this thread because I watched The Field Where I Died today, which seems to top a lot of people's lists.

There really aren't any episodes that I hate, and I actually kinda like The Field Where I Died, mostly because of the guest stars: Michael Massee and Kristen Cloke. Plus, I find the dissociative identity disorder thing interesting.
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby TruthIsOutThere » May 13th, 2015, 9:51 pm

I think this is one of those threads I missed before, so it was fun to read through. I too don't hate TFWID.

I don't really hate any episodes, but I don't really care for Fight Club, and Space is pretty bad, too.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LittleStarbuck » May 14th, 2015, 4:49 am

To be honest, I'm not too keen on The Field Where I Died, it's a bit too awkward and cringy for me to watch, and also I've never actually had a problem with Space, season 1 wasn't my favourite so it just kind of blended in with the others.

Any episode without both Mulder AND Scully I don't watch, I don't watch most of season 8 (the episodes without Mulder), however I do like season 9 so I watch all of them, like most people I don't enjoy Fight Club or First Person Shooter and from season 7 I also don't like En Ami or All Things (sorry Gillian.) Episodes with past flames or one night stands I don't like to watch (Fire, Never Again, 3) however for some evil reason I actually kind of maybe a tiny bit like Diana Fowley (probably because I like Mimi Rogers)

But like most people, I don't 'hate' any episodes.
LittleStarbuck

Postby OneShoe » May 14th, 2015, 8:40 pm

I think "All Things" is an excellent episode by itself, even though there's not much of an X-File in it, and it's a little artsy compared to the rest of the series.

I also enjoy "Space", but maybe I partially enjoy it because it is bad.

It's been a while since I watched the entire series in order. I just remember that my last time through, there were only maybe a couple of episodes I didn't really enjoy...but I can't remember what they were. I remember some episodes I didn't like the first time I saw them, but I can't remember which ones I liked better in more recent viewings.

I wasn't fond of "The Sixth Extinction" episodes at one time. I honestly can't remember if I like Diana Fowley or not. I need to rewatch those.

I remember the middle of season 8 being a bit dull, around "Sure Kill" and "Salvage". I think when I watch episodes at random, the less interesting episodes are easier to take than when I run into a stretch of them.

I like "Fight Club", but I can see why it's not a favorite.
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby TruthIsOutThere » May 18th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Ooohhh, you just reminded me about how much I just to detest "The Sixth Extinction". I can tolerate it a bit better now, but I was really, really disappointed when it aired.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LittleStarbuck » May 19th, 2015, 3:16 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:Ooohhh, you just reminded me about how much I just to detest "The Sixth Extinction".

It wasn't great, but the ending of Amor Fati really made up for it. That scene with Mulder and Scully outside his apartment talking about "touchstones" and stuff was one of the most beautiful scenes in the show. It's difficult to hate an episode with an ending like that.
LittleStarbuck

Postby Agent Spooky » May 25th, 2015, 9:06 pm

First Person Shooter -- I HATE, HATE, HATE this episode! It's downright sexist!
Two Fathers/One Son -- Three Words, The Fowl One and :sck.
The Field Where I Died -- Mulder and Scully as forever friends, only as men though in past lives :to) :uh( :nott.
Milagro -- This one just creeps me out -- PERIOD :dwc.
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby Doug Hutchison » June 7th, 2015, 5:12 am

First Person Shooter is appalling and the actors play it like they knew that as they were filming.

Provenance/Providence is the one mythology part that I can't stand. I forgive the mythology 99% of its flaws because it still made for great TV even after the supersoldiers turned up but William was the worst thing to ever happen to the show.
Doug Hutchison
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby Agent Robin » June 21st, 2015, 6:46 am

Badlaa.....urg.
Agent Robin
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby dnb_junkie » June 22nd, 2015, 5:57 am

Agent Robin wrote:Badlaa.....urg.

This is the only episode that genuinely creeped me out to the point that I usually skip it.
dnb_junkie
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Postby TruthIsOutThere » June 23rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

"Badlaa" is one of (I think) two episodes that my oldest daughter has never seen, as just seeing the little guy in the wheelchair (which she must have seen before when I was watching it) absolutely creeped her out.

I actually really like that episode.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » August 8th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Syzygy (simply wrong), War of the Cophrophages (murderous cockroaches are simply too much even for the X-Files universe), Talitha Cumi (shameless Dostoevsky ripoff), Never Again (zero extrinsic value, moronic plot), Patient X/The Red and the Black (intergalactic wars belong to Star Wars and/or Star Trek, not to X-Files), All Things (too shippy, X Files are not soap opera) and complete seasons 8 and 9 (Doggett/Reyes infested episodes are not X-Files to me and most of them are either generic crap or rehashed earlier ideas).
Andrew80

Postby barchick » August 9th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Teso Dos Bichos
Hell Money
Travelers
The Unnatural (with exception of the Mulder/Scully moments)
Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Alot of season 8 and 9 (but less than I hated them during the original screenings)
barchick

Postby bidown » August 10th, 2015, 10:19 am

KEZMULDER wrote:Space - yawn :roll:
All things - :oops:
Salvage - baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad :|
Lord of the flies - the only good thing about this ep is Jane lynch from glee is in it. :P
Improbable - god awful :x

Whyyyy All things?
It is one of my favourite eps. I like Scully's monologue that were so deep and emotional.
bidown
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby AJBlack » October 23rd, 2015, 5:02 am

'Teso Dos Bichos', 'Shapes', 'Fearful Symmetry' and almost all of Season 9 are probably TXF at its worst.
AJBlack

Postby syzygy620 » October 23rd, 2015, 4:16 pm

Fearful Symmetry. I'm going to have to give this another try, but I remember being so bored I couldn't keep the plot straight.

The Blessing Way. There are just parts of the episode I have a hard time with, especially the Native American healing rituals. Paper Clip, on the other hand, is awesome!
syzygy620
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby FlyingSquirrel42 » November 1st, 2015, 7:29 pm

A few off the top of my head:

Lord of the Flies - The one time I was tempted to just turn the TV off in the middle of an X-Files episode.

First Person Shooter - It's as if Beavis and Butt-head were writing an X-Files episode. "Let's make an episode with lots of GUNS and EXPLOSIONS!" "Yeah, yeah, and like, that Mulder dude should carry around a big sword, and at the end they have to fight a chick with big thingies." "Huh-huh-huh, this is cool."

Space - Note to aspiring writers: this is what happens when your antagonist is a rock formation.

Nothing Important Happened Today 1&2 - Lived up to its name. One of the worst mythology installments ever - lots of running around and vague dialogue with almost nothing interesting actually happening.

Teso Dos Bichos - Actually one of the first XF eps I saw. At the time I was just thinking, "Wait, so the curse...made a bunch of cats kill people?" Not surprised to find out that it was considered a bomb.
FlyingSquirrel42
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby TruthIsOutThere » November 1st, 2015, 10:51 pm

It's nice to have you posting over here, FlyingSquirrel (I've seen your moniker over on Haven!)

You picked some episodes that were pretty bad. Though you left off the worst ("Fight Club") ;)
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby FlyingSquirrel42 » November 2nd, 2015, 8:54 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:It's nice to have you posting over here, FlyingSquirrel (I've seen your moniker over on Haven!)

Thanks! I joined Haven a while back but didn't really start posting until I heard about the spoilers for the revival.

You picked some episodes that were pretty bad. Though you left off the worst ("Fight Club") ;)

The first rule of "Fight Club" is that we're not supposed to talk about it.
FlyingSquirrel42
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby TruthIsOutThere » November 2nd, 2015, 12:28 pm

FlyingSquirrel42 wrote:
TruthIsOutThere wrote:It's nice to have you posting over here, FlyingSquirrel (I've seen your moniker over on Haven!)

Thanks! I joined Haven a while back but didn't really start posting until I heard about the spoilers for the revival.

I joined awhile back, too, but with the new revival things have really picked up. It's fun to have so much activity again.

FlyingSquirrel42 wrote:

The first rule of "Fight Club" is that we're not supposed to talk about it.

Well played, FlyingSquirrel. Well played. :sun
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » February 9th, 2016, 4:08 am

My Struggle. Definitely my least favorite episode so far.
Andrew80

Postby barchick » February 9th, 2016, 5:43 am

Andrew80 wrote:My Struggle. Definitely my least favorite episode so far.

Controversial!

Whilst I am there with you and thinking it was pretty poor, let's put it into context... we need to remember some of the bombdive episodes that really shouldn't have made it to air...in my opinion only of course.

Teso Dos Bichos.. (s3) the cat ate the rat, the dog ate the cat... sigh, just plain awful.
Space (s1)
A lot of season 9... I'd have previously put season 8 in there too but on rewatch I actually quite liked those stories
The Walk (s3)
Shapes (s1)
Fight Club (s6)
Synchrony (s5)
Agua Mala (s6)

I'm surprised that I can think of that many that I have disliked actually.

I am certain there are lots lots more.
barchick

Postby ItsOutThere » March 3rd, 2016, 3:52 pm

maurisap wrote:but I LOVE X-Cops! .

This was my favourite episode for so long. It's all the subtle elements that had me laughing; like how Scully keeps forgetting she is on camera, and then when she notices tries to subtly hide behind a car door or tree. I know some people say its "not X-files", but it is a cross over and has ample elements from the traditional episode, just filmed in the format of Cops (which I also love).

Least favourite:
1) Fight Club
2) Providence
3) Shapes
4) Provenance
5) Nothing Important Happened Today

barchick wrote:A lot of season 9...

barchick wrote:Alot of season 8 and 9 (but less than I hated them during the original screenings)

It had taken me 8 years since watching the original series to watch season 9. I had seen the final two episodes, but I could never push myself through watching the season. I'm not a particular fan of either of those two seasons.
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)
ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby FunkyFiles » March 3rd, 2016, 6:45 pm

Heres my list...a little controversial too xD
Season 1: Space
S2: Fearful symmetry
S3: DPO, Syzygy (almost hate), Hell money (almost hate)
S4: The field where i died (almost hate), Teliko, El mundo gira, Small potatoes, Demons
S5: The post modern prometheus, Schizogeny, Minds eye
S6: Dreamland, The unnatural
S7 (the worst for me): Orison, Signs & wonders, Sein und zeit, Closures, First person shooter, Fight club
S8 (my fav)
S9: Daemonicus, Lord of the flies
S10: Home again

When I watch the 6th and 7th season I get bored... A lot of episodes are cheesy for me...
S8 an S9 my favs by far. I love the chemistry between JD, MR & S and the development of the personality of Doggett.
FunkyFiles

Previous

Return to X-Files General Discussion