The Great Mutato
Rob Roberts, Food Service
The Great Mutato

Were any of you part of original XF fan forums?

Postby The Great Mutato » March 2nd, 2013, 8:39 am

Hi,
I'm quite new here but already feel at home, thankyou everyone for that!
Anyway, last night I was wondering whether any of you were part of some of the first XF fan groups in the 90's. It will be really interesting to hear some of your XF histories!
Thanks,
Mutato
Many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased.

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Re: Were any of you part of original XF fan forums?

Postby Agent Skulder » March 13th, 2013, 2:12 pm

So glad you feel at home!

Perhaps others will chime in (like the Admin maurisap who has posted elsewhere on XFU that she was active on early forums).

I worked with computers all day, so THE LAST thing I was going to do was look at another computer once I crawled home. XF was "appointment TV" for me, during the early years but finding a chat group didn't appeal to me, especially after I heard about all the posturing and squabbles some participants engaged in.

You'll find that THE most knowledgeable users were part of the early chat rooms and what's called the "OS" or Original Site, at one time FOX sanctioned, still open thou occasionally it "disappears."

(I first joined an XF site - a sister to this one, now defunct called XFilesUltimate in 2010. I joined here next, followed by Haven (actual name IdealistsHaven)).
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013

Righthere
Brad Wilczek, Systems Development
Righthere

Postby Righthere » March 13th, 2013, 2:53 pm

I used to be a member of xfilesforum.net about 3 years ago but unfortunately it was shut down last summer. RIP. But we still keep in touch with the forum core and those guys are awesome.
When X Files first aired in Russia I didn't have a pc yet. Happy times! So my only chat buddy was my shipper friend. We used to watch X Files together at night and this was something thrilling.
Seeing is believing

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » March 13th, 2013, 3:01 pm

(RT ... Check it again. I think it had new ish posted a few days ago. If not visible to you I'll PM you the link...)
Sep 18, 2013

Righthere
Righthere

Postby Righthere » March 13th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:(RT ... Check it again. I think it had new ish posted a few days ago. If not visible to you I'll PM you the link...)

As far as I know it was shut down completely and since then never been restored. Send me the link, please, Agent Skulder. :-)
Seeing is believing

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » March 16th, 2013, 8:46 am

As Agent Skulder mentioned, I was a member of several sites back in the day, including The official FOX site. Some I posted actively, some I just read and lurked.

I can't remember where I posted this, but I had a cycle. The first part of the week was trying to find clues about the next episode. There was one site on particular that I loved b/c it posted bots o script for the upcoming ep etc.

We would all speculate what those bits meant. Then I watches the ep, and immediately afterwards I was back on the web to discuss the ep. Then the whole cycle started over.

When the series ended, it wa so sad! No pursuit of clues each week, nothing new to discuss... The official site eventually closed. I eventually quit going to the sites and many of the sites closed.

Not until IWTB was announced did I become active again.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » March 16th, 2013, 8:59 am

I want to add a couple I things- back then is when I noticed that forums have a distinct "flavor". Some focused on msr, others on the mythology or were noromo. Some were hostile to anyone who discussed anything that did not meet their unspoken focus, others were a free-for-all. Some became very adult. Some became fan sites of the stars. Some sites were wonderful!

That's where my philosophy for a forum developed. At XFU, we can talk about just about anything. You may motice there is a broad spectrum of topics to discuss at this site- that's so we can talk about whatever we want! If you want to focus on Gillian, or talk mythology, love msr or wish there had been dsr... There is space for that here as long as talk remain respectful. No bashing!

We have to keep it pg-13 bc of regulations; i expect cordiality, respect for opinions, and for people to support xfu. But that doesn't mean there can be healthy debate.

I've never understood those people who join a site and then "badmouth" it. Or join and badmouth other sites. That doesn't treat either site with respect.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

The Great Mutato
The Great Mutato

Postby The Great Mutato » March 16th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Great to hear everyone's XF histories. As I'm so young (13), it all seems a little alien to me, but it sounds fantastic. Especially attempting to work out the trail of clues for the next week's episode.
I started watching the series 24 on Lovefilm earlier ( I don't know if Lovefilm is just an English thing ) and it seems decent so far, anyone else watched that?

Righthere
Righthere

Postby Righthere » March 17th, 2013, 6:04 am

What I've noted reading some other forums usually this series does some kind of a natural selection of people (sure there is always somebody stupid or arrogant, but this is life) and the core of such communities is really nice and respectful.
I mean if you like TXF you are probably a good person. This is my theory. cancer]
Seeing is believing

The Great Mutato
The Great Mutato

Postby The Great Mutato » March 17th, 2013, 7:10 am

I've haven't seen any hate or even bad language on this forum in the few months I've been here. Every other forum seems to have individuals who join simply to be racist or have a go at ethnic minorities. XFU strays from the norm.

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » March 17th, 2013, 9:35 am

The Great Mutato wrote:... Every other forum seems to have individuals who join simply to be racist or have a go at ethnic minorities.

Do you mean, XF specific forums (sites)? Or general "boards" on IMDb?

The ones I "watch" publish very narrowly defined hate posts, directed at the actor - Gillian Anderson. There are 4 specific users who make this their hobby, like cyber bullying. (None belong to XFU). There's a specific sewage site where they play. Periodically it overflows onto XF threads film, movie and actor threads on IMDb.

OT - IMDb is full of bigots on assorted (non XF) film and actor boards, which usually contain racist comments. Some are purposely racist (troll-like), but others read like the user is ignorant (uninformed / immature). If that's where you're seeing what you refer to, please use the REPORT feature. Your identity is not released. And most posts that I've reported (not as Skulder) DO get "removed by moderator." You probably know this, but never engage someone who's spewing hate. It's not worth the energy and can get out of control.
Sep 18, 2013

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » March 17th, 2013, 10:02 am

Agent Skulder wrote: You probably know this, but never engage someone who's spewing hate. It's not worth the energy and can get out of control.

Good tip AS.

The Great Mutato
The Great Mutato

Postby The Great Mutato » March 17th, 2013, 10:54 am

I was talking about any forum, not just XF related forums. Great advice on trollers and haters Skulder. It seems that most videos on Youtube have hate comments, if people try to have a different view on subjects people seem to latch onto it and rip the s**t out of them.
It all comes from people feeling a sense on animosity from behind their screens. The internet is a powerful toll, too many people abuse that power.

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » March 17th, 2013, 11:14 am

The Great Mutato wrote:... It all comes from people feeling a sense on animosity from behind their screens. The internet is a powerful tool, too many people abuse that power.

You've got that right - the anonymity seems to unleash their rage - genuine or contrived. I'm a cynic so I think many folks like to sound angry, they think this makes them "important" when they weigh in on (e.g.) "the lack of accents in a Russian film." (See Phantom IMDb board for some insane posts.)

YouTube is THE worst for mean, angry comments, I think because each time someone comments they can select a new weird alpha/numeric "name" and never become "known" by their YT name. There, only the channel owner can delete comments. (This behavior also tells us there's a lot of unbridled rage out there, on the interwebs, from users too chicken / uninformed to address real issues, like dangerous legislation.)
Sep 18, 2013

Righthere
Righthere

Postby Righthere » March 17th, 2013, 11:23 am

Writing comments on web is like expressing your thoughts. Many people are jealous and full of hatred and what they usually try to hide in RL they spill it all in the virtual space because no one knows them and they feel relieved showing their dark side that may be unknown to the people around them in RL. It is like going boxing but the punching ball is the audience in this case. I find it stupid and useless writing lousy comments on celebrities and strangers as it brings you nowhere. You cannot improve your self-esteem/financial position/personal life by throwing dirt on other people. I think the energy you give to the world comes back and hits you or heals you depending on its quality so there is just no valid reason to spread negativity.
Seeing is believing

dnb_junkie
dnb_junkie
Duane Barry, Chauffeur
dnb_junkie

Postby dnb_junkie » June 28th, 2014, 5:17 am

Righthere wrote:I used to be a member of xfilesforum.net about 3 years ago but unfortunately it was shut down last summer. RIP. But we still keep in touch with the forum core and those guys are awesome.
When X Files first aired in Russia I didn't have a pc yet. Happy times! So my only chat buddy was my shipper friend. We used to watch X Files together at night and this was something thrilling.

Ah, I was a member there. I tried to find it after being offline for a while and couldn't find it anywhere. I was told it had been taken down. I had no idea up until then.

dnb_junkie
dnb_junkie
Duane Barry, Chauffeur
dnb_junkie

Postby dnb_junkie » June 28th, 2014, 5:18 am

The Great Mutato wrote:Great to hear everyone's XF histories. As I'm so young (13), it all seems a little alien to me, but it sounds fantastic. Especially attempting to work out the trail of clues for the next week's episode.
I started watching the series 24 on Lovefilm earlier ( I don't know if Lovefilm is just an English thing ) and it seems decent so far, anyone else watched that?

24 is a great series. I started to re-watch it again recently on Netflix.

AJBlack
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
AJBlack

Postby AJBlack » October 25th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Sadly I came to the internet too late to be part of any TXF forums, given it was three years after the show ended I first discovered forums existed. A real shame.

Can you imagine if we had the tech available then how much the show would have been pored over? Sites for shows like Lost or Game of Thrones don't know how lucky they are.

TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic
TruthIsOutThere

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 26th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Good thread necromancy! I think I've missed this thread before, and I found it quite interesting.

I was on the net back in the mid 90s, but I didn't have my own computer until the late 90s. I saw those threads on FOX, and participated a tiny bit, but for the most part they were pretty overwhelming, there were so many people posting back then.

I didn't get really active on XF forums until the last 4-5 years.