XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

"The X-files" in The Ten Greatest Cult TV Endings in History

Discussion about the XF History

"The X-files" in The Ten Greatest Cult TV Endings in History

Postby GillyDreamer78 » November 21st, 2010, 8:57 am

"The X-files" made it into the critic's Ten Greatest Cult TV Endings in History. "Millennium" is also on that list. Here is what it says about "The x-files"; The Truth:

Those who endlessly repeat the myth that The X-Files somehow got tired and old in its last two seasons, obviously weren't watching it during that spell to speak truthfully about it.

Case in point, the final episode of the series: "The Truth." It not only featured a terrific demise for the most iconic villain of 1990s television, The Cigarette-Smoking Man, the episode also brilliantly summarized a decade's worth of conspiracy clues into one relatively concise and clear-cut "courtroom" trial, as Mulder was prosecuted by the F.B.I..

But if you take away the brilliant narrative structure, what really makes "The Truth" sparkle so much is the final, intimate scene between partners and friends Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson).

Importantly, it takes place in a motel room, which Mulder notes is the same locale where he first tried to convince his new, inexperienced partner, about he world of aliens and government conspiracies. So, much like the MST3K denouement, there's a "we've come full circle" aspect to this final episode. The end brings us back to the beginning.

But the importance of the final scene, finally, comes in what Mulder "wants to believe." He speaks to Scully in earnest, beautiful, thoroughly human terms:

"I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us," he says. "That they speak to us as part of something greater than us; greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves."

This beautifully-worded, passionately-delivered monologue is the heart and soul of The X-Files: the universal human yearning to believe in something greater than what we see and hear around us everyday.

The truth is not out there, it's in here...in the hearts of Mulder and Scully, and in the love they share for each other. That too tells us something important.

When you can't believe for sure in Ultimate Knowledge; it helps to have someone you love very much who believes in you, and vice-versa. That's the note that we leave this wonderful series on: that if Scully and Mulder can't believe in UFOs, aliens, or even God, they can take solace that they believe in each other.

Here is the link where you can read the whole article!
http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.b ... story.html
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Re: "The X-files" in The Ten Greatest Cult TV Endings in His

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 21st, 2010, 9:24 am

Such a beautifully written article thanks for sharing. GD78
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby MelissaLScully » November 21st, 2010, 11:54 am

It's always great to see The X-Files getting recognized. Thanks for the article, I agree 100%
"It's like looking in a mirror."
MelissaLScully
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby scully_hair » November 21st, 2010, 1:11 pm

I'm happy for The X-Files although I totally disagree with the author. The final episode was horrible and should not have made the list.
scully_hair
Darin Oswald, Electricity

Postby GillyDreamer78 » November 21st, 2010, 2:06 pm

I agree with the author 100 %!! I couldn't have said it better myself.
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Postby Gillyinfatuation » November 21st, 2010, 4:43 pm

WOW! This is beautifully written and I agree 100% w/ what was said. I think The Truth was one of the best epis of all time!
“If you do that one more time, YOU’RE GOING TO LOSE A FINGER!!”
gillyinfatuation.tumblr.com
Gillyinfatuation
Cassandra Spender, Hybrid Liason

Postby maurisap » November 21st, 2010, 7:14 pm

I'm glad XFiles made the list, and the final scene and the final words were wonderful. But I have to say that I hated the rest of the episode. Chris Carter promised us a finale that would answer our questions and wrap up the conspiracy. It didn't. Instead it left us with even more.

I also disagree with the author about how CSM died. That was an "eyeroll" moment if I ever saw one! I think I even gave a deep groan as I rolled my eyes. :D

In fact, when the credits rolled, I stormed out of the living room muttering something about how angry I was and how CC wasted the two most important hours of air time.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
]
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby MF Luder » December 16th, 2010, 8:09 pm

You know what annoyed me so much about the final episode of The X Files, after nine years, just over 200 episodes, a feature film and some of the most truly outstanding, frequently brilliant television ever produced, Chris Carter ends the show, possibly one the most definining pieces of pop culture ever made, with a clip show, in court. I mean, has anyone ever seen the final episode of Seinfeld, it's the exact ending, only they did it first. I was watching The Truth waiting for the Seinfeld music to be played instead of Mark Snow's music, it was strange. I will say this, the final scene is wonderful, a beautifully performed and written scene that does so much what the preceeding eighty five minutes somewhat failed to do, and I will give credit where credit is also due, Mulder's closing statement, his closing argument of anger over how meaningless his victories have been in the pursuit of the truth is one of David's best ever moments on the show, it's the type of thing that really ought to be played at an awards ceremony.
MF Luder
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby maurisap » December 16th, 2010, 8:12 pm

MF Luder! Welcome to our site! I remember you from the "old site."

Glad to have your comments in the forums.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
]
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby Agent Skulder » January 7th, 2011, 10:00 am

I don't want to detract in any way from the thoughtful and well written posts that precede this. I just want to point out a small but to me, meaningful detail within that final scene.

Chris Carter doesn't just have Mulder and Scully in the same motel room - he rotates them (physically) almost like the hands on a clock. The next time you happen to watch the Pilot, see if you can pop in the Finale... I don't remember which was which, but while Scully started out leaning for example on her left side with her head propped up on her left hand, she concluded that final scene on her right side, also with her head resting on her right hand. And I think Mulder spent the entire scene in the Pilot sitting on the motel floor, looking up at Scully, whereas in the Finale he started on the floor but then got up onto the bed - visually being on the same level - in the same place mentally - as Scully.

This attention to detail is one of the many reasons there will never be another show like the XFiles for me.
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Quest » January 7th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I actually did notice that too Agent Skulder. And yes it is the "little" things like that that bring these characters so much life. I think CC and FS really respected these characters and loved them like children. And it's their dedication to the integrity of Mulder and Scully that makes the show stand out amongst so many others.

THE ANSWERS ARE THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THEM.
Quest
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber

Postby TruthIsOutThere » December 14th, 2011, 5:10 pm

A well-written piece. While I understand some of the frustration with "The Truth", I too found it to be an excellent episode that (mostly) wraps up the series nicely.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Return to XFiles History