XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

A Short History of The X-Files Fandom - Part 1

A Short History of The X-Files Fandom - Part 1

Postby scully_hair » May 26th, 2011, 11:22 am

The fan activity surrounding the show dates back to December 1, 1993 and the creation of the usenet group alt.tv.x-files (ATXF), which quickly became the #1 place for XF discussion. As of today, the total post count is 782,181. The most prolific posters in the history of the group are:

1. Laura Capozzola - 18,942 posts
2. Alan Hurshman - 12,042 posts
3. Gizzie - 10,503 posts

Gizzie is one of the most prominent figures in the fandom and besides being a major force behind the character based RPG X-Ville (more on that in part 2), she's probably best known for her "Messenger" series (fanfics focusing on Byers) and is still today remembered for her warm, cheerful and loving personality.

She was also one of the perpetrators of the famed Limerick Hoax, a hilarious rumour that there was a "lost" X-Files episode written by Darin Morgan and set in Boston where Mulder encounters a leprechaun (http://home.i1.net/~bakke/deli/limrick.htm).

The fandom grew steadily and alt.tv.x-files.creative, ATXC (ATXF's fanfic-friendly partner) was founded in May 1994. ATXC was an unmoderated and a fairly relaxed community and along with fanfiction, people discussed regular fiction, posted feedback, story recommendations, requests for forgotten stories etc.

In the late nineties some of the members began voicing their concerns over the amount of sexually explicit fanfiction being posted to the group. This lead to the creation of alt.tv.x-files.creative.mature in 1999.

Around 2000, the majority of the fanfic-related discussion in the community moved off of ATXC, and over to the http://www.idealistshaven.com/.

The next big step for the fandom was the creation of the very first XF fanfiction archive, http://www.bedlam.rutgers.edu/xfiles/mcgrew, which was listed as the Cool Site of the Day for September 26, 1994. Of course, these days we have Gossamer. For those unfamiliar with the Gossamer Project (http://www.gossamer.org/), it's a group of specialty archives which, combined, contain the vast majority of X-Files fan fiction on the Internet. In the mid to late 1990s, the Gossamer Archives/Project was one of the "big three" single media fandom-focused archives on the Internet, and remained the largest single fandom fanfiction archive until the emergence of various Harry Potter archives in the early 2000s.

This is the end of Part 1. I hope you enjoy it cancer]
scully_hair
Darin Oswald, Electricity

Re: A Short History of The X-Files Fandom - Part 1

Postby orodromeus » May 26th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Great write-up! Thumbs up, and keep those parts coming!

As for the episode trivia threads, I must ask: Is this your original work/research? Do cite sources if you're taking this from somewhere else.
EatTheCorn.com: XF mythology - analysis - 1013 interviews - S10 news
orodromeus
Duane Barry, Chauffeur

Postby scully_hair » May 26th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I use a variety of different sources for my trivia threads. There are some great sites out there, but it's impossible to find everything in one place. That's basically the whole point of my trivia write-ups, to gather all the available information on this forum.

My sources: different XF timelines, XF Wiki, regular Wiki, the interview archives at Gillians official site, different episode guides (the entries often include a couple of interesting tidbits and fun facts), old forums, random Google searches etc.

I can of course link to my sources in my posts, if people want me to.
scully_hair
Darin Oswald, Electricity

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 26th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I really enjoy reading all this trivia, thank you for putting this together, please keep them coming. I think it's a good idea to add the links, it's a nice gesture to recognize the site where the information is found.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby TruthIsOutThere » December 14th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Although I was never part of any of those sites or groups, it's really fun to read about the history. Great job, and thanks for taking the time to post this! :D
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby HristinaB » August 19th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Aw, I wish I were a member of ATXF, it sounds like so much fun! However, I *do* know Gossamer, it's an *awesome* place to get fanfiction and it's very well organised, too!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it.
HristinaB
Big Mike, Staff Vet

Return to XFiles: Magazines, Articles, Reviews, Blogs, Etc