XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

X-Files on the SAG Awards last night

X-Files on the SAG Awards last night

Postby TruthIsOutThere » January 30th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I only watched a few minutes of the Screen Actors Guild Awards last night, but I caught the bit where they play sad music and show us all the performers who have died over the last year. When they got to John Neville, they showed a clip (I believe it was from Fight The Future) where he is talking to Agent Mulder, and he says (dramatically) "You must find Agent Scully!".

It was nice to see TXF being shown in prime time again, even if it was for only a few seconds.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Re: X-Files on the SAG Awards last night

Postby Agent Skulder » January 30th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Neville's clip got picked up by a few "blogs..."

As William Davis would say (and paraphrased in his book) - while Neville was glad to be part of this franchise, he had such a large body of work (over NINETY roles) that it's astonishing for him to be primarily remembered for his relatively few appearances (8) in the show and 1st movie. Too bad Carter didn't utilize his talent more...
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » February 12th, 2012, 6:12 am

Oh, I missed it. I would have loved to have seen this. :-(

Agent Skulder, I agree. It would have been nice to see John Neville in more episodes. Indeed, that's why Nicholas Lea left at the end of the 8th series. I read an interview from soon after he'd left, and he said that he did so because he was being under-used, to paraphrase him.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 12th, 2012, 2:59 pm

While I agree that it would have been nice to see more (of both of them), I also think there's a lot of truth in what was said on the 'I Made This!' blog, too (found here, scroll to "Tunguska"). By not over-utilizing characters like Krycek (and WMM), an air of mystery was retained, and it really made things special when we got to see them show up for stories. Here's the particular quote from the blog:

Despite the potential heaviness of the subject matter, Tunguska is great fun thanks to the return of Krycek and the clear hatred Mulder, and even Skinner, have for the man. The fact that the character is effectively used as punching bag could become thuggish, but remains fun and really satisfying throughout. Skinner in particular pulls the best punch of all. It's great to see Nicholas Lea in the series again. It's struck me that for a character who has had a great deal of impact on the show, its characters and events, he wasn't overused by Chris Carter. At most, he usually appeared in no more than three of four episodes a season and his appearances seem to have made a greater impact as a result. Whilst most television shows would try and take full advantage of an actor and have them made into a regular or appear more often, The X Files never killed the fun of having both Lea and the character on the show, holding his appearances back for when he was appropriate to use, making his returns to the show major events.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LondonLady » February 13th, 2012, 3:45 pm

thank] for posting this, Truth, and the article does indeed make a very good point. However, from purely a fan perspective rather than a critical or artistic one, I still would have liked to have seen more of both characters.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Return to XFiles: Magazines, Articles, Reviews, Blogs, Etc