XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Q&A with Chris Carter about TXF

Q&A with Chris Carter about TXF

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 5th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Some of you may have read or seen this article at smithsonian.com before, but I never had. It's got lots of good information - especially about the iconic poster in Mulder's office - that I had never seen before.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Re: Q&A with Chris Carter about TXF

Postby Agent Skulder » February 5th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Thanks for posting. Interesting write up, especially for newer fans.

One site that's an excellent resource for articles like this is Eat The Corn ... http://www.eatthecorn.com/

There have been so many insightful articles and interviews published over the years, it's impossible to keep track. But reading a database of articles in chronological order helps put different franchise "events" into proper prospective, like Duchovny's decision to leave and the impact on the show, in addition to eps like Jump The Shark and all the notes Carter claims he wrote after 2002 for the 2nd film which mysteriously "got lost" (or he tossed in a snit), causing him to start from scratch for IWTB... Lots of interesting, documented backstory just sitting on different sites that are still being maintained.

Another great site for background: http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby smoking man 2012 » February 6th, 2012, 2:08 pm

From what i gathered , Fox is not moving ahead ... yet...

As I said before , the may wrap up the mythology in a 2 aor 4 hour minseries on t.v.

beter than nothing.

cancer]
smoking man 2012
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 6th, 2012, 2:20 pm

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

My feeling is that they could still do a great job with such a project, and release it either on TV or direct to DVD/Blu-ray like they have with the Stargate mini-movies. I'd prefer to have a theatrical release, but if they made things with the same level of quality as the show (and with the way that digital effects have grown in the last decade), it could still be really well done.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LondonLady » February 12th, 2012, 6:02 am

You know, Truth and sm2012, I don't know why, but whenever fans have asked Chris or Frank about doing a, "The X Files" mini-series about the alien invasion, they have always said that they would not do so. I don't know whether FOX won't allow them to do one, or whether they believe that a film will be made eventually. However, it's already February 2012, so a December 2012 release date seems unlikely now. If 1013 release the film after December 2012, would people still be interested? I mean, of course, we diehard Philes would watch a film about Mulder and Scully watching paint dry (LOL!), but I wonder whether the general populace would be interested.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 12th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Although I too agree that the dates are already such that we'll probably never seen an XF3 in 2013, one thing to keep in mind is that the colonozation is only set to begin in 2013 ("the date is set"). I think we all have this vision of flying saucers laying waste to cities (as we saw in "Amor Fati"), but as slow moving as X-Files Mythology tales were, I figure we could always get a movie, say, in 2014 or 2015, and in said movie they could start the invasion/colononization in 2013.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Agent Skulder » February 12th, 2012, 1:35 pm

LondonLady wrote:... If 1013 release the film after December 2012, would people still be interested? ... I wonder whether the general populace would be interested.

I think people will be interested if something is released to coincide with the 20th year TXF anniversary during Q3, 2013.

As for the "general populace" - they won't care about TXF at all unless the marketing gurus give them a powerful reason. This film will get fan support, that's it.
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » February 13th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Excellent point, Truth. An alien invasion would likely take years to overcome, just like any other war. Realistically, it would not start and end in December 2012! Based on what you've said, I actually now think that it could be a very interesting film if we meet Mulder and Scully in the middle of the invasion, not the beginning. I'd also love to see a, "The X Files 4," about the aftermath of an alien invasion, but let's get to, "The X Files 3" first!
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
LondonLady

Postby LondonLady » February 13th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:As for the "general populace" - they won't care about TXF at all unless the marketing gurus give them a powerful reason.

Completely [agree] Marketing can really make or break a film. I think that people will go and see just about anything if it's marketed effectively. The only question is: how much of a marketing and promotion budget will, "The X Files 3" receive?

Agent Skulder wrote:This film will get fan support, that's it.

Not if it is marketed and promoted effectively. ;-)
LondonLady

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 13th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I completely agree, LL. If the marketing is done well (like with a viral campaign), it can be done without spending gazillions of $, too. Check out the success of the recent flick Chronicle for an example of well-done marketing. They released small clips of the movie and got a good buzz going, and it ended up being the #1 movie in the U.S. (coming out in February helps, of course).
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 13th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Just saw the weekend numbers for Chronicle. It reportedly cost $12 million to make, and in just two weeks it's hauled in a global tally of $63.2 million.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LondonLady » February 14th, 2012, 3:00 am

No way! That's fantastic! However, Truth, there might still be a problem. $63.2 million means a $51.2 million profit for a $12 million film, correct? Correct. That's a huge profit. However, it seems that unless a film makes, I don't know, a $100 million profit, regardless of how much it cost to make, the film is considered a flop. "The X Files: I Want to Believe" did make a profit at the worldwide box office, but it just wasn't the juggernaut of, "The Dark Knight," which I thought was rather rubbish, actually, when I finally saw it on DVD last year. So, IWTB is considered by many to have been a flop, even though in purely business terms, it was not.

Also, if, "The Dark Knight" had been marketed and promoted like IWTB was, would it still have been the phenomenal success that it was? I doubt it.
LondonLady

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 14th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Well, remember that that $63+ million is in only two weeks. Doubtless it will do much more over the next month, and then oodles more when it is released in DCD/Blu-ray.

From what I've heard, a movie needs to do double it's cost in order to basically break even. Then anything after that is gravy (profit). That's because it (generally) takes the same amount of money budget for the marketing. So for Chronicle, it would be considered a success when it hits $24 million, and after that everything is profit for the studio. That's probably not an exact science, though.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby LondonLady » February 19th, 2012, 10:45 pm

I think I heard something similar, Truth, that a film has to make double its cost, and then anything additional is profit. If that's the case, IWTB made $63 million, or was it $89 million? Maybe it was $89 million including DVD sales. The film cost about $30 million to make. However, if they then spent another $30 million marketing the film, I don't know where on earth that money went! Did they market the film on the moon??
LondonLady

Return to XFiles: Magazines, Articles, Reviews, Blogs, Etc