XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

A scene in Brand X

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

A scene in Brand X

Postby ScullyFBI » August 18th, 2011, 10:00 am

I posted this in the episode folder, but thought I'd post it here, just in case it's too shippy. I thought the character Darrel Weaver was skeevy enough. He looked liked the personification of a cigarrette. Unhealthy and insidious.His quip about the Korean man always makes me chuckle. But the scene I remember most from this ep is the one where Mulder introduces his bug theory to Scully and Skinner. Mulder looks at her like this Image

and Scully does this Image
Then she tries to look at him again, then she immediately looks down. Then she glances slightly in Skinner's direction,then back down, then she tries to look at Mulder again. THEN Mulder pulls out the bug, and she looks at that. GA does a masterful job at conveying Scully's sudden and slight discomfort in that moment. And I don't think it's supposed to be caused by a bug. It's very subtle, but it's there. Slo mo helps. It's all in GA/Scully's eyes. She can't look at Mulder in that moment, in front of Skinner. I really don't know what it is, but from the perspective of the timeline, I sense that she was feeling vulnerable, or distracted because of what was suppossed to have happened the night/morning before. Mulder seems more able to shelve his emotions during the case.
ScullyFBI
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Re: A scene in Brand X

Postby Agent Skulder » September 9th, 2011, 1:25 am

I agree ScullyFBI, Darryl Weaver (played by the great Tobin Bell, who turned in a similarly perfect turn in "The Firm") was perfect casting! Of course in the ep, he didn't smile much...

It's been a couple of years since I've sat thru this episode but I just thought Scully appeared repulsed by the bug, I didn't get any of the same impressions you did. Interesting insight....
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby SpecialAgent88 » September 9th, 2011, 8:08 am

ScullyFBI, Brand X is right after All Things, which is the episode that confirms Mulder and Scully are in a sexual relationship, so maybe Scully is feeling a little awkward about the situation around Skinner. That's an interesting twist on Scully's reactions to Skinner. I'm sure Skinner is quite aware of what's going on between Mulder and Scully at this point, he's quite intuitive and could feel the change in Scully's personality, she's just so much happier. :bannana
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby GillyDreamer78 » September 9th, 2011, 8:24 am

Agent Skulder wrote:...but I just thought Scully appeared repulsed by the bug, I didn't get any of the same impressions you did. Interesting insight....

I got the same impression as you did, that she was just repulsed by the bug. And yes, Brand X is after All Things but that doesn't mean that everything what is described by ScullyFBI happened the morning after.(All Things)
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Postby redfoxykiwiphroot » October 5th, 2011, 6:30 am

Interesting take on that scene - it's one of those things that are very ambiguous, as with many of the looks between M&S. The shipper in me likes to think it's one of those "I-want-to-look-at-you-but-I-Can't-make-eye-contact" awkward moments some co-wrokers get after indescretions at the office party, for example!
redfoxykiwiphroot
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby Muldersgirl9 » September 7th, 2013, 7:21 pm

A fascinating insight on that scene. I'm gonna have to watch it again.
Muldersgirl9
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships