XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

MSR and its effects on your viewing of the show

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

MSR and its effects on your viewing of the show

Postby HotScully » August 23rd, 2011, 7:23 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed watching through the X files. I remember watching the first few episodes when I was younger on TV probably up to around series 3 or 4 but for some reason or another I did not stick with it. I decided to get the boxset on ebay last year and watch through them again and see what I had missed. I have just finished watching through them all, including both films. It has taken me just over a year but I have enjoyed every minute of it. What can I say, such a great show. Easily the best TV series ever made. I knew it would be right up my street as I like the ideas of alien abduction, conspiracies and unsolved crimes that have a strange twist or mystery to them. What I did not expect was the growing relationship between Mulder and Scully and the effect it had on my viewing of the show and how my views to the show changed. Obviously I remember them from when I first watched the show back when I was a kid but it was interesting to see them again and how close they got to each other as the show moved on. I was so chuffed at the end of the series when they got together even though allot of the mythology of the show was not concluded in the Truth episodes (Lets hope this gets resolved in the X files 3 film) It was like my main focus and reason for watching the show changed. Suddenly my favourite episodes were no longer the alien abduction episodes or the strong MOTW episodes but I started to prefer episodes that had a strong focus on M&S and there relationship. For example I loved Arcadia it was funny to see M&S live out this fake marriage and see how it would be like if they did live together. I guess over time i turned in to what you would call a shipper.

I watched the Pilot episode again straight after I had finished the IWTB film because I did not want to say goodbye to the characters that I had watched for over a year and also because I wanted to see how the M&S relationship started in the Pilot again. There was certainly allot of chemistry between them in this first episode (the motel scene) and this was interesting to watch again knowing what would happen as the show evolved. It makes me want to start watching through the series again just to see all those early M&S moments that maybe I had not picked up on.

I guess I just wanted to know if anybody else who was a fan of the show for the reasons I was originally (aliens, conspiracies) then had a change of heart and then loved the show more because of the M&S relationship and this then became there priority in terms of what they wanted to get out from the show and how it was to be concluded.

By the way this is a great site and forum and it has been interesting reading other fans views on various topics.
HotScully
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Re: MSR and its effects on your viewing of the show

Postby ScullyFBI » August 23rd, 2011, 8:57 am

Hi HotScully!

I was reluctant to answer your question because I've already told this story in at least two other folders, but it's still mindboggling, to me, how I watched TXF for six seasons for the SCAREY STORIES. I loved the warehouses, the mutants, the CSM in the basement of the Pentagon, doing nefarious things. I was sooo into the dark possibilities of aliens and human conspirators that I completely missed what was going on with M&S. But Milagro, S6, stopped all of that in its tracks. I actually blame CC for turning me into a shipper, because if it hadn't been for that episode, I probably never would've noticed that the characters were falling in love. It was THAT subtle, to me. It's not like it wasn't always there, it was just as if the characters were naturally coming together, and not being written that way, if that makes any sense. I'll put it this way, and this is somewhat embarrassing because I consider myself to be a rational, intelligent, you know.."normal" person. But M&S are the only fictional characters who, for me, took on a life of their own outside of the narrative. Almost as if they became lovers behind the writers backs. And one could argue that they were severely punished for that, too. But that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Now, when Scully is attacked in her apartment, I'm looking at her furniture, looking in her closets, looking at what she keeps in her drawers..and Mulder too. I'm way more interested in them as people, how they live, how they are together, than I am anything else. The next XF movie could just be a weekend at home with M&S and I'd be fine with that.
ScullyFBI
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby HotScully » August 23rd, 2011, 9:20 am

Ha Ha, you have hit the nail on the head. When I think about what I would want from the 3rd film if it gets made I would be more than happy with it just being about M&S and maybe them getting married and some kind of comedy vacation like National Lampoons.

I would never of said that 4 months ago when I was still only on series 4. Since April I have watched from series 5 to the end and my views just changed. I can't put an exact time on it like you but it was at some point in series 6. Maybe at a guess it was the Arcadia episode when I just thought there was more to the show then aliens and conspiricies. After that episode I think for me I it was more about the M&S relationship and the comedy moments between them and all the other shipper moments.
HotScully
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby kyouryokusenshi » August 23rd, 2011, 10:21 am

Hi, HotScully, love your name btw!

I feel the same way! After 9 years , the show just wouldn't have been the same with out MSR! I love the paranormal, but it's even better with a twist of romance! I started watching at ss8 when I was 11 and I absolutely loved the relationship between M & S! Even though Mulder wasn't around much in ss8, their relationship is so compelling that you can still feel how immensely they care about one another!
kyouryokusenshi
Blane Faulkner, Wannabe Abductee

Postby SpecialAgent88 » August 23rd, 2011, 2:06 pm

I’ve been a fan since the Pilot and from the moment I watched that episode, I knew something was very special about the X Files and I couldn’t get enough of it. I’m also a fan of the paranormal and cop shows and found the X Files a learning experience. I enjoyed Mulder and Scully’s search for answers and how they solved each case. It’s like opening an encyclopedia into the paranormal and I wanted more and more. The X Files had great stories, great directors and great writers, but Mulder and Scully became the heart of the show for me.

It certainly helped that the X Files had two attractive leads that were whip smart and had amazing chemistry. I just couldn’t get over how darn intriguing it was to watch the banter and chemistry between Mulder and Scully, as the show kept me hooked week after week. Mulder and Scully’s relationship became just so interesting and exhilarating because they cared so much for each other. I think I started getting really interested in their relationship around One Breath, when Scully is abducted and Mulder’s just going crazy without Scully.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby JeSouhaite » August 23rd, 2011, 9:06 pm

I started watching purely because of the stories associated with the paranormal and the unexplained. However, I will admit that this thing called "MSR" crept in from somewhere unknown.

For brevity's sake, I have to say that NOW, as I re-watch eps... I'm not as intrigued by the paranormal stories because I know what happens. However, to this day, I still adore the banter and the interaction between M&S. Personally, I am most fond of all of the funny eps. I probably will always treasure the banter and the UST that was developed between those characters. It is such a pleasure to watch, and it is unparalleled.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123
JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby muldersalias » September 8th, 2011, 7:11 pm

For a new perspective, I originally signed on because of what I'd later discover to be the MSR. I began with season 8, Within or Without, I can't remember. Long story short: I stuck with it initially because of Scully's search for Mulder and I stayed with it for the next nine years (I might as well say for the rest of my life, because it's such a major part of who I am and how I got here) because of the conspiracy, the monsters, the characters. Sure, the romance is indelibly mixed in and is also a reason I love it, but it's only part of the whole.

Without the mytharc or the basement office or the monsters of the week, it wouldn't have the same feel of Mulder and Scully against the world. It would've been like any other show out there as far as the romance is concerned. I haven't really found another show that has done the same thing with its main characters, really putting them into a world of their own, just them. Not to detract from the multitude of supporting cast, but having only two central leads is a big part of what makes the show so unique. I mean, for me. It's actually kind of hard for me to put to words.

Anyway, welcome! I'm not entirely positive this answered your question, but if you want clarity, just ask ;)
look to the stars
let hope burn in your eyes
and we'll love, and we'll hate, and we'll die
all to no avail, all to no avail
-muse
muldersalias
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby redfoxykiwiphroot » October 5th, 2011, 6:36 am

For me, I startied watching it as I have alwasy had an interest in the parnormal and UFOs/aliens etc, but then a developed a HUGE crush on Mulder/DD, and then as the relationship with Scully developed, that became nearly as important to me as the monsters/aliens plot. I lived for those little shipper moments, and even now I love them!
redfoxykiwiphroot
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby IceQueen444 » October 6th, 2011, 12:36 am

WEll... I've been a shipper since I was about 6 years old and saw my first episode of Xena in England (technically slash but what ever ^_^) I have always kinda been more interested in shows if I have a pairing I like. It's why I watch most shows I do and while there are some I don't they're few and far between. When I saw "Fire" on BBC I last spring break I saw how jealous Scully and it sparked my interest so much and I instantly wanted to see more. I hijacked my Best friend's Netflix and got through it all (In quite the record time really). So MSR UST was really my initial reason for even watching the show and defiantly kept me hooked. I stayed for so many more reasons than the romance but it was what sparked it for me.
IceQueen444
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby SpecialAgent88 » October 6th, 2011, 8:31 am

Interesting point of view, "the MSR UST is really my initial reason for even watching the show", thanks for sharing IQ444. Just proves that the power of the Mulder and Scully Relationship can draw in so many fans. I just love it....... hug]
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby Salome » October 11th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I know I'm late to this party but...

ScullyFBI wrote:It was THAT subtle, to me. It's not like it wasn't always there, it was just as if the characters were naturally coming together, and not being written that way, if that makes any sense. I'll put it this way, and this is somewhat embarrassing because I consider myself to be a rational, intelligent, you know.."normal" person. But M&S are the only fictional characters who, for me, took on a life of their own outside of the narrative. Almost as if they became lovers behind the writers backs. And one could argue that they were severely punished for that, too. But that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

I wish I could ditto this to the 10th power.

I started watching this show because it was weird - my first episode was Gender Bender which is about as weird as it ever got. And one of the first things I remember thinking was how odd it was that Mulder displayed no jealousy after he found his pretty partner ready to succumb to the inexplicable charms of a stranger. "Oh, so they're really not interested in each other. *shrug*"

They're relationship was just so opposite of the typical television standard. It was underplayed and without any ulterior motives. That isn't what initially drew me in, but it definitely became my favorite part of the show. And that's saying something because I love the mystery, the science, the gore even. Ultimately, Mulder and Scully outshine it all.

ScullyFBI wrote:The next XF movie could just be a weekend at home with M&S and I'd be fine with that.

Can I sign that petition please?
Salome
Darin Oswald, Electricity

Postby Agent Spooky » October 12th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Salome wrote:I know I'm late to this party but...

ScullyFBI wrote:It was THAT subtle, to me. It's not like it wasn't always there, it was just as if the characters were naturally coming together, and not being written that way, if that makes any sense. I'll put it this way, and this is somewhat embarrassing because I consider myself to be a rational, intelligent, you know.."normal" person. But M&S are the only fictional characters who, for me, took on a life of their own outside of the narrative. Almost as if they became lovers behind the writers backs. And one could argue that they were severely punished for that, too. But that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

I wish I could ditto this to the 10th power.

I started watching this show because it was weird - my first episode was Gender Bender which is about as weird as it ever got. And one of the first things I remember thinking was how odd it was that Mulder displayed no jealousy after he found his pretty partner ready to succumb to the inexplicable charms of a stranger. "Oh, so they're really not interested in each other. *shrug*"

They're relationship was just so opposite of the typical television standard. It was underplayed and without any ulterior motives. That isn't what initially drew me in, but it definitely became my favorite part of the show. And that's saying something because I love the mystery, the science, the gore even. Ultimately, Mulder and Scully outshine it all.

ScullyFBI wrote:The next XF movie could just be a weekend at home with M&S and I'd be fine with that.

Can I sign that petition please?

I'd ditto that one as well. It kind of came out of nowhere. Heck I became a shipper due to it being so unexpected... not to mention Chris being so against it back in the day :lol:.

Definitely. There was no baloney to mess it up persay (aside from Diana Fowley and a few other things...) and the love itself was based off of respect for one another.

Can I sign that petition as well?
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby txf21 » October 14th, 2011, 6:23 am

I'd have to agree that the M&S dynamic was definitely what attracted me to the show. My first episode was none other than our favorite liver eating mutant (which I made my parents watch over dinner one evening lol!!) and I was hooked from there! I def think there was a strong chemistry between them from the Pilot and a big part of why I tuned in every week was for the shipper moments!! I obviously enjoyed the paranormal and motw aspects of the episodes but, as others have said, in the later series I was much more interested in M&S as people and in The Truth when Scully says 'It's us i'm fighting for' I think we all agree with her!! By this point it's all about what M&S have been through together and while they may not have overcome the syndicate and their conspiracies they have survived it despite abductions, cancer, the loss of their son and even death!! As many ppl have said before its a huge testament to the M&S relationship and all the talent involved in creating it that there are so many of us still talking about it for so long after the series has ended!! hug]
I WANT TO BELIEVE
txf21
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby LondonLady » September 5th, 2012, 12:00 am

Well said, txf21. However, i must say that what first attracted me to "The X Files" was the brilliant story-telling. I only chose to see "The X Files: Fight the Future" because I somehow knew that it would be an excellent action film. I only started watching the TV series after watching the first film in the cinema. However, I think that I became a shipper fairly soon after I started watching. :)
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships