XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Why the Mulder/Scully Reticence to Romance?

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

Why the Mulder/Scully Reticence to Romance?

Postby beekiller » June 26th, 2010, 2:57 pm

This is a question I've asked myself for years: Why don't Mulder and Scully admit they're in love with each other?

Obviously enough, the answer for the series creators was that the show would be ruined if they got together too soon. And they were right. We spend hours examining this beautiful, complicated love that they have for each other, based on mutual trust, friendship, partnership and understanding. There are probably millons of forum threads on the subject, and I've contributed to quite a few myself. Obviously this delay of gratification theory worked, as we're still talking about it years after the show has gone off the air. I'm definitely not disputing the utter rightness of the decision to delay Mulder and Scully's romantic relationship--that is NOT what I want to talk about in this thread.

What I want for us to do here is psychoanalyze the characters of Mulder and Scully. That's one of my favorite things to do, and if my suspicions about most of you are true, it's one of your favorite things to do too! What is it that makes them hold off on taking that final step towards a romantic relationship? Is it doubt? Is it fear? Is it the alignment of the planets? Is it because a mouse farted in Asia? What? Me, myself and I want to know what you think.
-Beekiller

"Please explain to me the scientific nature of the whammy."
beekiller
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Re: Why the Mulder/Scully Reticence to Romance?

Postby GillyDreamer78 » June 26th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Hmm, I often wondered myself the same question. I think when it comes to some things they are both very stubborn and here this was maybe one of the reasons. Both were waiting for the other to do the first step. And like you said, maybe they were both afraid. Afraid that if they had admited their feelings for one another , they would have ruined the friendship they had worked so hard to built. Although i doubt that. Then you have Mulder who was always concerned for Scully, for her safety and if they had become lovers earlier in the series, they would have broke them apart. You know how many times certain people tried to split them. And then you have Scully who built these walls around her. Like CSM said: "You'd die for Mulder but you won't allow yourself to love him."
For now these are my thoughts, if I think of something else I'll come back. LOL
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 26th, 2010, 5:52 pm

To tell you the truth, it’s my feeling that the UST is what made the show last so many seasons and the reason all of us are still so fascinated with the show. I started watching the X Files from the Pilot episode and never even thought about Mulder and Scully becoming a couple. I said what a great show, it’s about aliens and the paranormal, and cases were handled by two very nice looking FBI Agents. To me, it was always about the episodes and the investigations and I was hooked.

Cop shows are my favorite shows, so the X Files was right up my alley. I really don’t even remember when I became a shipper, but realized and noticed the wonderful chemistry between DD and GA. So one week, I said wow M&S have such great chemistry, they should be together.

CC knew the UST between Mulder and Scully started to really heat up and I think he took our passion for these two characters to the extreme. CC, DD and GA started to tease us and fans just went crazy; wanting the two to get together. And we tuned in each and every week, just to see if they ever would get together. It’s like waiting in anticipation for the start of the Super Bowl.

To answer your question beekiller, I think CC used the UST to hype the show and it helped carry the show to the top of the charts. Of course the show was excellent, the writers superb, the stories were interesting and DD and GA are pure lighting together, the X Files is just a great TV show. Why ruin it and have them get together too early, let it ride……………..and let fans speculate……………..
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby JeSouhaite » June 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm

I fully agree with SA88's discussion on UST. I whole-heartedly agree.
I think it is rare to see other shows where the main characters "aren't" in a relationship. In my professional experience, I think it is rare for two co-workers to immediately jump in the sack together. I'm glad that CC didn't succumb to that tactic early on in the series. In addition to great story lines and different formats for telling the stories, the UST made XF viable for years to come.

Although, I consider myself a shipper now, way back when I saw the series during it's original airing, I don't recall ever focusing on their relationship or thinking that they were destined to become a couple until maybe season 5.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123
JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 28th, 2010, 10:42 pm

JeSouhaite wrote: Although, I consider myself a shipper now, way back when I saw the series during it's original airing, I don't recall ever focusing on their relationship or thinking that they were destined to become a couple until maybe season 5.

JeSouhaite, that's a question I'd like to ask original airing viewers because to me it was never about the relationship, it was about the episode and mythology. I agree, I don't recall focusing on their relationship or even thinking about it until maybe season 5. I looked at the X Files as an excellent FBI show that was well written, interesting, different, exciting and the show had Mulder and Scully.

Can I ask original airing viewers when you became a shipper? I became a shipper around season 5.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88

Postby maurisap » June 28th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Aaah grasshoppper, I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the question. ;)

Are you asking why the show wasn't focused on their relationship from the beginning? I think if it had been, it would have flopped. It was a deliberate decision to have a platonic relationship, and that ended up driving the viewers crazy! I for one was happy that there wasn't a focus on the lovie/kissie stuff at first. I was a BIG no-romo because the show wasn't a romance story, it was a paranormal story.

Of course I was wrong and it turned out to be one of the great love stories, but what did I know? :D
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby beekiller » June 28th, 2010, 11:16 pm

GillyDreamer78 wrote:Hmm, I often wondered myself the same question. I think when it comes to some things they are both very stubborn and here this was maybe one of the reasons. Both were waiting for the other to do the first step. And like you said, maybe they were both afraid. Afraid that if they had admited their feelings for one another , they would have ruined the friendship they had worked so hard to built. Although i doubt that. Then you have Mulder who was always concerned for Scully, for her safety and if they had become lovers earlier in the series, they would have broke them apart. You know how many times certain people tried to split them. And then you have Scully who built these walls around her. Like CSM said: "You'd die for Mulder but you won't allow yourself to love him."
For now these are my thoughts, if I think of something else I'll come back. LOL

I think there's definitely something to your thought that they have fears their friendship might be ruined, but I don't think that's it exactly. It's not that the friendship wouldn't survive. I think it might be more likely that they're afraid that the good things about the friendship: the trust, the self-sacrifice, the borderline telepathy--would in some way be cursed if they allowed the relationship to be categorized as romantic. Perhaps they feel that their friendship is a unique kind of relationship, and that to even put it into the same category as relationships that billions of other people have would cheapen it somehow. (Not to mention that they're both gunshy because of particularly bad breakups--Phoebe and Daniel) It's the psychological labeling, grouping, categorizing and pigeon-holing of the relationship that terrifies them both, because if it can be labeled by anyone on the outside as something universal that everyone understands (a romantic relationship) then psychologically all the things that make it precious and unique and fragile and irreplacable in their minds will be reduced to something common. And in everyone else's immediate assumption of understanding their relationship, it might no longer feel as deep or as strong or as right or as life-altering as it would have been if they had left it undefinable.

Did that make sense? You think it's plausible? Maybe as a partial factor?
-Beekiller

beekiller
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 28th, 2010, 11:25 pm

maurisap wrote:Aaah grasshoppper, I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the question. ;)

Are you asking why the show wasn't focused on their relationship from the beginning? I think if it had been, it would have flopped. It was a deliberate decision to have a platonic relationship, and that ended up driving the viewers crazy! I for one was happy that there wasn't a focus on the lovie/kissie stuff at first. I was a BIG no-romo because the show wasn't a romance story, it was a paranormal story.

Of course I was wrong and it turned out to be one of the great love stories, but what did I know? :D

I'm fairly certain the show didn't focus on their relationship and I agree it was a deliberate decision to have a platonic relationship. It was supposed to focus on the paranormal, aliens and mythology, and to have two FBI Agents investigate cases. It just turned into something so magical because DD and GA have so much chemistry together on screen. I think Mulder and Scully fell in love right under the nose of CC and the X Files turned into a great love story, as you say.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby GillyDreamer78 » June 29th, 2010, 6:54 am

Yes, the show was about paranormal, mithology and aliens but I wouldn't say it didn't focus on their relationship. It did. After all, they were very good friends who trusted each other completely.
And SA88 to answer your question about when we became shippers. I don't remember the exact moment. My first epis were Tunguska/Terma and I have to admit that I felt already then that those two had an incredible chemistry and that they would have made a wonderful couple. But I wouldn't say I was a shipper tnen, I didn't even know what that was LOL. I think I became a shipper in the beginning of season 5 when Scully was fighting her cancer and Mulder was out of his mind. I think Mulder realized then he was in love with Scully.
GillyDreamer78

Postby beekiller » June 29th, 2010, 8:31 am

When did I become a shipper? All right, I'm going to shock everybody to the core with this one. I didn't even THINK about the possibility of becoming a shipper until post- All Things. When the deed was already done, so to speak. I think that may be why I'm so fascinated by their relationship.

Only now, looking back on it, do I realize how much love there was between them leading up to that point. Until then, I didn't consider anything except the paranormal aspect of the show. I was a sci-fi geek sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to watch reruns on FX with my dad's noise-cancelling headphones (ah, those were the days!) because I absolutely idolized Scully. She was hot but she had red hair and she wore glasses and used big words like me. Gave me hope that I could be hot someday too...though I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one. And the cases were SOOOO COOOOL! Maybe that's why it didn't occur to me initially.

Up to that point, I just remember thinking that they were so nice to each other, and why couldn't I have a friend that considerate? It seemed like they always thought of each other first. Now that I'm older and I have some good and not-so-good relationships under my belt, I realize that that's what REAL love is. In junior high, real love was when you made goo-goo eyes and kissed each other.

But after All Things, I had an epiphany--or rather, was whacked over the head with one. When I rewatched thereafter, I paid attention to all the things I had labeled as "considerate" before, and I quickly fell in love with their love. And the depth and encompassing nature thereof. So I guess you could say that in a small way Mulder and Scully taught me how to fall in love--real love. Which is something that you don't find on TV, especially not anymore. And it's quickly becoming a lost art in life as well. The depiction of their non-romantic relationship, as backwards as it sounds, taught me how to be a true romantic.

So, that's the answer as to when I became a shipper. Then, like everything I commit to, I did it with a fiery purple passion. And it still hasn't dissipated. When I decide I like something, I never lose interest. :)
-Beekiller

beekiller
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 29th, 2010, 8:38 am

Wow Beekiller, that's a shocker to me, you became a shipper around - post- All Things, I thought it would have happened earlier? What episode did you watch when the show first aired? And were you a weekly viewer?
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby GillyDreamer78 » June 29th, 2010, 8:49 am

Wow beekiller, that's really a shocker. But I would say you were a shipper before, you just didn't realize it until "All things."
And I just love how you say that you fell in love with their love and how Scully and Mulder taught you how to fall in love-real love.
Isn't it amazing how many things those two taught us?! You can't say that about many shows, especially not today.
GillyDreamer78

Postby beekiller » June 29th, 2010, 9:42 am

SpecialAgent88 wrote:Wow Beekiller, that's a shocker to me, you became a shipper around - post- All Things, I thought it would have happened earlier? What episode did you watch when the show first aired? And were you a weekly viewer?

Ah, memories! In answer to your question, I started tuning in weekly during the sixth season when I could. We only had 1 TV and if Masterpiece Theater came on, I was out of luck because that was my dad's show and he didn't miss it. My first episode to watch on the original air date was Terms of Endearment. So I had A LOT to catch up on. Basically all the mythology. I'd seen a few episodes with my mom--she's a sci-fi enthusiast too--I think the first ep I ever watched was Grotesque on a rerun. So cool. Then she took me to see the first movie the summer before 7th grade. I fell in love instantly. After that I started watching everything I could. I saved up my babysitting money and bought blank VHS tapes so I could tape the reruns and glued myself to 100 Nights of XF on FX. Then I tried to reconstruct the order of things. That was confusing to say the least. I enlisted the help of my cousin and he suggested that I join a forum. So I did. Little did he know he was creating a pint-sized Phile monster. So to answer your question, my XF education was extremely spotty. Episode guides and the forums were treacherous places because I wanted to talk about the newest stuff but I wanted to avoid spoilers of the random eps I hadn't yet seen.

Perhaps that's another contributing factor as to why I didn't become a shipper sooner. I was just trying to assimilate convoluted mytharc information as quickly as possible. Didn't have time for subtext, lol.
-Beekiller

beekiller
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 29th, 2010, 10:56 am

Beekiller, you need to join us in our re-watch project because the X-Files is really a story that starts with the Pilot and ends with IWTB. Watching from the start gives me a very good feel about why and how Mulder and Scully became so close; they started as partners, and then became best friends and finally lovers. It’s an extremely beautiful love story between Mulder and Scully and watching the series in order really gives you a better understanding of their relationship and the show. I’m a little strange in that I only watch the show in order, meaning I don’t skip episodes. This is the way I’ve been watching the show for the past 18 years, so why change now.

Please join us in the re-watch project; I think you will really enjoy the show so much more. I’ve got to honest with all you about something, this is the only X-Files forum that I’ve ever been a participant and it’s because of all of you that I enjoy this forum so much. I was a little selfish when I first joined because I planned to watch season 9 and wanted to get more out of it. Because I usually skip a lot of season 9, I joined to get a better understanding of the Doggett and Reyes characters. Now I love season 9, especially the friendship and sisterhood between Scully and Reyes, which I never realized until joining this forum.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Let me mention that seasons 8 & 9 are my least favorite because I miss Mulder. I thought Scully was perfect in both seasons, but to me the X Files are just not the same without Mulder.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby Scorpiowench » July 2nd, 2010, 8:47 am

SpecialAgent88 wrote:
JeSouhaite wrote: Although, I consider myself a shipper now, way back when I saw the series during it's original airing, I don't recall ever focusing on their relationship or thinking that they were destined to become a couple until maybe season 5.

JeSouhaite, that's a question I'd like to ask original airing viewers because to me it was never about the relationship, it was about the episode and mythology. I agree, I don't recall focusing on their relationship or even thinking about it until maybe season 5. I looked at the X Files as an excellent FBI show that was well written, interesting, different, exciting and the show had Mulder and Scully.

Can I ask original airing viewers when you became a shipper? I became a shipper around season 5.

I would like to answer that question. I watched this show religiously every week and it never occured to me that they could have been a couple until well into the series. I watched because it was a unique series and the stories fascinated me. It was only when I started surfing the net for x files fan sites that it was mentioned there was this sexual tension between them. It never occured to me there was. Then I started to see it and then there was "all things" and have been a shipper since.
Scorpiowench
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 2nd, 2010, 8:51 am

Wow that's interesting Scorpiowench, so you didn't become a shipper until All Things?
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby beekiller » July 2nd, 2010, 1:41 pm

Oh, good. I'm not all that weird then!
-Beekiller

beekiller
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 2nd, 2010, 7:18 pm

beekiller wrote:Oh, good. I'm not all that weird then!

Aw, we just enjoy Mulder and Scully's relationship, I don't think there is a correct answer as to when they became a couple; that is what makes it so interesting, as we continue to discuss this same topic year after year.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby MartinaBC » July 9th, 2010, 12:47 am

Lol, I had to wait many years until finding out that Scully and Mulder became more than partners and friends.

From the first episodes of the X files on I could see that there was a great chemistry between both, and I never missed any bit of the first 5 seasons, waiting that they would kiss for the first time, that there would be more than friendship and working together for the FBI.

Then we moved from Germany to Peru (marriage and work reasons) and lived in a zone with no electricity, and lived many hardships. And in Peru you could´n´t see the X filesd until years later.

Now I am back in Germany and see on DVD all I have missed out: Scully and Mulder getting closer, becoming lovers (though we never saw a love scene, but sometimes a small gesture between them like holding hands or a kiss or a scene or a dialogue said more than any bed or love scene would have done), having a son....

I think Chris Carter and all who wrote the stories and directed the X files are geniuses...they had the relationship between Scully and Mulder developed in a very subtile, caring, insinuated way. And as a fan of the X files I found that much more attractive and interesting and romantic.

David and Gillian did a great work as actors, too! As I said often a little gesture like the touching of a hand aor their looks said so much more than words.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hands"
( from The X Files, Episode "Amor Fati")
MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 9th, 2010, 7:44 am

MartinaBC wrote:Lol, I had to wait many years until finding out that Scully and Mulder became more than partners and friends.

From the first episodes of the X files on I could see that there was a great chemistry between both, and I never missed any bit of the first 5 seasons, waiting that they would kiss for the first time, that there would be more than friendship and working together for the FBI.

Then we moved from Germany to Peru (marriage and work reasons) and lived in a zone with no electricity, and lived many hardships. And in Peru you could´n´t see the X filesd until years later.

Now I am back in Germany and see on DVD all I have missed out: Scully and Mulder getting closer, becoming lovers (though we never saw a love scene, but sometimes a small gesture between them like holding hands or a kiss or a scene or a dialogue said more than any bed or love scene would have done), having a son....

I think Chris Carter and all who wrote the stories and directed the X files are geniuses...they had the relationship between Scully and Mulder developed in a very subtile, caring, insinuated way. And as a fan of the X files I found that much more attractive and interesting and romantic.

David and Gillian did a great work as actors, too! As I said often a little gesture like the touching of a hand aor their looks said so much more than words.

Glad you were able to see all the X Files, sounds like you enjoy the Mulder and Scully relationship, well you are in the right place because all of us love Mulder and Scully. Welcome to XFU MartinaBC.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby maurisap » July 11th, 2010, 8:11 am

I forgot to answer that part of the question - I became a shipper in season 5. I was always very protective of their relationship as friends, then it made sense that the friends become lovers. They were so close that it made sense to take it closer.

But I was afraid too. I thought of all the shows where romance messed it up, and I was worried that if M&S became lovers, the show would lose its focus on the unexplained. I want the evidence of total commitment to each other, but also the search for answers to the unexplained.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby GillyDreamer78 » July 11th, 2010, 8:17 am

I must say that The X-files is the only show (for me at least) where the show itself didn't stop being interesting when two main characters became lovers. I mean after all this time we still talk about them and we want to see them kissing even though we know they have been together as a couple for some years now.
GillyDreamer78

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 11th, 2010, 9:02 am

Great analysis GD78, you are right on the money on this one because I feel the same way.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby MartinaBC » July 11th, 2010, 10:42 am

I have been talking to young X Files fans in another chat room, at the age between 14 and 22, from USA, Germany, UK and other places. I am 47 myself. And I think it is great to see how the X files and the story and relationship of Scully and Mulder have still so many fans and peoples interested in them of 2 or 3 generations, from teenagers to old bugs like me, and all over the world. :D
MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby Funk Mulder » January 2nd, 2011, 10:44 pm

I hated when Mulder and Scully got together. :x

One of the best things about The X-Files for me was that the two leads didn't hook up for the longest time. When they did this "I love you; let's have a family" stuff, I was really turned off of the show, but I was always in the minority with that.
Funk Mulder
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby the host » January 3rd, 2011, 7:37 am

I think what made them not confessing their love was their mutual respect.

On the other hand, I think I became a shipper in small potatoes, where I realized I actually wanted to see them kissing (although it wasn't the real Mulder), just to see the picture. But I didn't want them to be together either, at least not until the end of the show. The relationship was so perfect that way... hug]
the host
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Funk Mulder » January 3rd, 2011, 11:49 am

the host wrote:But I didn't want them to be together either, at least not until the end of the show. The relationship was so perfect that way... hug]

This! [agree]

They could have waited until the end of the show for all that.
Funk Mulder
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby GillyDreamer78 » January 3rd, 2011, 11:54 am

I think they waited long enough as it was. Because all those innocent touches and looks, it was becoming all rather annoying so I was glad when they finally got together! hug]
GillyDreamer78

Postby maurisap » January 3rd, 2011, 10:38 pm

***COMMENT ON EDITS IN TOPIC

A member made a comment that I believe was a joke. I have edited comments that followed the joke, which was off-topic and does not contribute to discussion about the Mulder and Scully Reticence to Romance.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby Scullygolightly » January 10th, 2011, 4:02 pm

GillyDreamer78 wrote:I think they waited long enough as it was. Because all those innocent touches and looks, it was becoming all rather annoying so I was glad when they finally got together! hug]

Yes, I agree - the first episode I watched was Anazasi and I must say, from the first second I was hooked to their sexual/romantic chemistry. I remember wondering if they already were together or had been at that point because of the way they were with each other. I couldn't wait to find out and see them together - that played a great role in how I was hooked on the series - had I just known that I would have to wait years and years to see just that :D I also would have loved to have seen a tiny little bit more of them "pining" for each other before they got together - a la Mulder kissing Scully in his dreams in triangle -and Scully being so openly jealous whenever another female entered the scene - skillfully done ofcourse and still with a main focus on the cases.

To answer your question beekiller - I also think that fear of intimacy played a great role in why they didn't get together sooner and maybe reluctance in admitting to themselves that it was in fact love and not "just" attraction and friendly affection - I think that for Mulder, as a starting point nothing but finding the truth mattered - as he says in the pilot and scully knows this ("he's not a jerk, he's just obsessed with his work"). For Scully I think any serious relationship would take some time to "get into" - she's not a person that - in her own words - allows herself to get too close to people - I think it requires an enourmous amount of trust on her part and she would have to be absolutely sure, that he would want the same meaning her before anything else - which she isn't really at any point - not even in IWTB. So, I think that she had to become a little more risk-willing - which I think she did in the love-area after her cancer - and Mulder had to realise that he had fallen so hard for her that there was no ignoring it - truth or not :) Well, that was my 2 cents. Great topic btw bravo]
Scullygolightly
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby JeSouhaite » January 10th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Scullygolightly wrote:I think that she had to become a little more risk-willing - which I think she did in the love-area after her cancer...

Yeah, I think you're probably right on this subject. Facing her mortality probably did open her eyes up to dealing with her emotions and relationships differently than she had before.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123
JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby Agent Skulder » January 11th, 2011, 11:56 am

I think JeSouhaite makes a great point.  Anytime someone goes through a significant life event (like life threatening illness) their perspective often shifts on how they're living.  Many people ask themselves are they living the way they want to, realizing they now have a "second chance."

One other theory I just want to throw out there...  Not to stir the pot, just to consider.

When Scully was first assigned to Mulder, trying to project a professional image was probably high on her list.  Getting romantically involved with your colleague doesn't fit that image. So in addition to all the far more interesting theories here, that concern (which exists IRL as many of us have seen) may have been the major "practical" hurdle she needed to clear before she could even hear what her heart was trying to tell her.  And Scully was nothing but practical, especially early in her career.

As time passed and she was in the same job several years she established herself professionally.  She also matured psychologically.  Then she developed cancer - and beat it.  All this time she's seeing the shabby way the "Great FBI" treats her and Mulder... I think all these factors contributed to her allowing herself to start acting on her emotions.  And this premise may have been the foundation for all the diverse theories that make this thread so fascinating!
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby maurisap » January 11th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Totally agree AS. Professionals don't date their co-workers (Remember the Tailhook remark Mulder made). But the fact is, Scully was starting a new job, acting as a professional, and there shouldn't have been romance.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby gorgclaud » January 12th, 2011, 5:38 am

GillyDreamer78 wrote:I think they waited long enough as it was. Because all those innocent touches and looks, it was becoming all rather annoying so I was glad when they finally got together! hug]

well, I felt in the start it would have been 'nice' to have ended the show with them getting together, but as it did linger on for so many years, it wasnt so much for me that it needed to be done, but rather, in my opinion, that it seemed forced or unrealistic that they would then get together after so many years of not doing anything about it. It was becoming annoying to me too, cause the teasing was too old and samey. Would have prefered if the writers outrightly made them a propper couple or didnt at all. Like I didnt need to see them on a date or anything, but y'know, just have them have a seen where they talk about the two of them together romantically. Or a scene where they figure out they are not meant to be. Either way, sort it out!
gorgclaud

Postby maurisap » January 13th, 2011, 11:07 pm

I think CC and FS knew that most fans were salivating for more, and this kept us involved and frustrated, but not so frustrated that we quit watching the show.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby MartinaBC » January 15th, 2011, 12:29 pm

I think it was a perfect balance between the romance developing up to certain level and keepingthe fans waiting for really romantic scenes between Mulder and Scully.

In my thoughts and imagination I saw them both deeply in love and romantic all the time anyway, just hiding it from the public and their colleagues and bosses....lol :mrgreen:
MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby txf21 » July 10th, 2011, 11:57 am

so many things to think about with this topic!! I agree with most things that have already been said - I especially like this idea
beekiller wrote:I think it might be more likely that they're afraid that the good things about the friendship: the trust, the self-sacrifice, the borderline telepathy--would in some way be cursed if they allowed the relationship to be categorized as romantic. Perhaps they feel that their friendship is a unique kind of relationship, and that to even put it into the same category as relationships that billions of other people have would cheapen it somehow. (Not to mention that they're both gunshy because of particularly bad breakups--Phoebe and Daniel) It's the psychological labeling, grouping, categorizing and pigeon-holing of the relationship that terrifies them both, because if it can be labeled by anyone on the outside as something universal that everyone understands (a romantic relationship) then psychologically all the things that make it precious and unique and fragile and irreplacable in their minds will be reduced to something common. And in everyone else's immediate assumption of understanding their relationship, it might no longer feel as deep or as strong or as right or as life-altering as it would have been if they had left it undefinable.

M&S were in a relationship! Just not one that could - or should - have been easily defined! I've been a phile from the very start and to be honest I think I became a shipper from around season 2/3 and I remember watching every new episode just waiting to see if they would touch hands, gaze at each other etc! Maybe their uncertainty reflected our uncertainty as a viewer? We (and they!) knew there was something more there but were unsure how it would affect them and their ability to work together. Its only natural that they were hesitant and once it became obvious it was too late - they were already in love! After that it was only a question of when, not if!!
I WANT TO BELIEVE
txf21
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby LondonLady » September 5th, 2012, 12:30 am

Fascinating thread! This makes an excellent read. :)
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships