SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division
SpecialAgent88

Who's the first to "Fall in Love" Mulder or Scully?

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 2nd, 2010, 8:58 am

In my personal opinion I would say Mulder is the first to fall in Love. I think it happened for Mulder around the middle of season 4 or Momento Mori. When Mulder finds out Scully has cancer, and would do anything to save her; he seemed so worried that he couldn't live without her.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control
GillyDreamer78

Re: Who's the first to "Fall in Love" Mulder or Scully?

Postby GillyDreamer78 » July 2nd, 2010, 9:05 am

I would say Mulder too. I think it was in Memento mori or perheps even before, like you said SA88, in the middle of the season 4. But I think he had really strong feelings for her even before, when Scully was abducted. But I think that Mulder definitely admited to himself he was in love with Scully in Redux.
And Scully, well, i think she was in love with him when she found out she had cancer, she just didn't realize that. She realized she was in love with Mulder in The End, when she saw Mulder with that Fowley witch.

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 2nd, 2010, 9:25 am

GillyDreamer78 wrote:I would say Mulder too. I think it was in Memento mori or perheps even before, like you said SA88, in the middle of the season 4. But I think he had really strong feelings for her even before, when Scully was abducted. But I think that Mulder definitely admited to himself he was in love with Scully in Redux.
And Scully, well, i think she was in love with him when she found out she had cancer, she just didn't realize that. She realized she was in love with Mulder in The End, when she saw Mulder with that Fowley witch.

I agree with a lot of your comments GD78, it just took them so long to admit it to each other or themselves. Plus, it's the UST that drove us crazy and fans just fell in love with Mulder and Scully.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » July 2nd, 2010, 9:36 am

SpecialAgent88 wrote:
GillyDreamer78 wrote:I would say Mulder too. I think it was in Memento mori or perheps even before, like you said SA88, in the middle of the season 4. But I think he had really strong feelings for her even before, when Scully was abducted. But I think that Mulder definitely admited to himself he was in love with Scully in Redux.

I agree with a lot of your comments GD78, it just took them so long to admit it to each other or themselves. Plus, it's the UST that drove us crazy and fans just fell in love with Mulder and Scully.

Yes, they fell in love with each other and we fell in love with them! :)

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 16th, 2010, 8:32 am

This has been in the back of mind for many years, but I've always wondered who fell first and maybe at what time period. I know this is a very open question because Mulder and Scully are so covert about everything, especially their love for each other. I don't think there is a right answer, but maybe if I could just get your best guess and estimate, it would help me out here.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » July 16th, 2010, 9:08 am

SA88, I already answered your question. Excuse me for saying this but I noticed you ask us the same question more times when we already answered and I don't mean just for this thread. And no offence.

Lish31
Rob Roberts, Food Service
Lish31

Postby Lish31 » September 4th, 2010, 1:26 am

I think that Scully fell in love first. I definitely think that Mulder cared about Scully more than anyone he'd ever known, but I don't think he was capable of loving her at first. He cared for her but there was no way he could be in love because he was so consumed with everything else in his life. In the Pilot he says that nothing else matters to him except finding his sister. I really think that this is true up until Closure. He may want to love her but I don't think he could. I always thought that she realized her feelings for him much earlier than he did for her. But she knew he couldn't love her back. He just wasn't ready emotionally, no matter how much he wanted to be. I think she knew how devoted he was to the truth and that's why she didn't tell him. This is just my humble opinion, of course. :)

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » September 4th, 2010, 8:23 am

Your opinion is very interesting Lish31 but I still think Mulder fell in love first. :D I think they were both just too stubborn to admit how they felt about each other.

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » September 4th, 2010, 8:48 am

Lish31 that is an interesting concept that you feel Scully fell first, it's always so nice to get different opinions. I always thought it was Mulder because he was the more intuitive one and I heard this from another show, that the guy just knows that they should be together and in love for the next 30, 40 or 50 years. And I agree with GD78, they were both just too stubborn to admit to the other that they loved each other, but I must admit I think Scully is more stubborn than Mulder.

PS: I heard that statement from the show Bones, Booth says it to Brennan (Bones).
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Lish31
Lish31

Postby Lish31 » September 5th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Both of them are definitely very stubborn! This is a hard question to answer because they're both so dead set on keeping their feelings buried.

I've been reading this book on the psychology of love and the author basically says this : Falling in love and truly loving someone are not the same thing. Falling in love is a powerful feeling. When you fall in love, it's not something that you can control. It's instinctual, basic. You need that person. Your happiness is dependent on their presence in your life. But needing someone isn't loving someone. It's a more powerful statement to choose to love someone when you don't need them to be happy. Being with someone because you need them is a selfish act. You're meeting your own needs, not theirs. Truly loving someone should be a self-less act.

Anyway, that's what the book talks about and I do think there is some truth to it. So, when I think about Mulder and Scully in those terms, I think Scully loved Mulder first. During Scully's abduction it was clear how much Mulder needed her. So, maybe he did *fall in love* first. But, when it comes to truly loving each other, I think Scully got there first. I always felt like she was able to assert her independence from him more than he could from her. Ultimately, she chose to be with him, but not because she had to.

Wow. Done rambling. That ended up being wayyy longer than I planned! haha

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » September 7th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I think Mulder was the first to fall and that his feelings for Scully started to change from platonic friendship to love in season 4. I thought Mulder started falling for Scully and fell in love with her in Memento Mori. Mulder was faced with the possibility of losing Scully forever because of her cancer and looked at that possibility as being unbearable for him. When Mulder returns to Scully’s hospital room, and can’t seem to locate her, Mulder panics that something terrible may have happened to her. Mulder has been a loner all his life, but I believe at that very moment Scully becomes the most important person in his life and he would do anything to save her. Mulder becomes a man on a mission to find a cure for Scully and bring the people responsible to justice. Mulder completely lets Scully into his life and his heart, and the hallway scene with Mulder embracing Scully so tenderly was filled with so much love. Mulder shows how much he cares for Scully and I felt at that very moment Mulder is showing Scully how much he loves her and has fallen for her.

As for Scully, I think Fight the Future is where she finally realizes her true feelings for Mulder is more than friendship. The hallway scene tells us that Scully has many issues that she has been struggling with. Scully was originally assigned to the X Files to spy on Mulder and feels that she slows him down and he doesn’t need her. Mulder runs after Scully in the hallway and pours out his heart to her and tells her how much he needs her and won’t continue with the X Files without her. Scully realizes what she has been feeling for sometime, but could not express her feelings to Mulder. Mulder pours his heart out to her with Scully now able to return those same feelings to Mulder. Both look into each others eyes and embrace those unspoken feelings with a passionate kiss (darn bee). I think Scully fell in love with Mulder at that moment when they are about to kiss in the hallway.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » September 7th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I agree with you completely about everything what you said SA88 except that i think Scully fell in love with Mulder before FTF, she just didn't admit to hereself. The first time she admited to herself was in "The End" when she saw Mulder with the Fowley woman.

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » September 7th, 2010, 6:52 pm

One of my favorite episodes is "The End"; Gillian is just so good playing a heartbroken Scully when she returns to her car after seeing Mulder and Fowley together in the hospital room. Gillian was just excellent in that scene, when Scully takes a deep breath and has to compose herself before calling Mulder on her cell phone, Gillian’s acting was just perfect and I felt so bad for Scully.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist
MartinaBC

Postby MartinaBC » September 27th, 2010, 10:05 am

I did never focus on when Muolder and Scully fell in love. For me the most important thing in the show was THAT they fell in love! ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hands"
( from The X Files, Episode "Amor Fati")

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » September 27th, 2010, 7:19 pm

I agree Martina, Mulder and Scully falling in love is what's important and not the when.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

MulderScullyGirl
MulderScullyGirl
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
MulderScullyGirl

Postby MulderScullyGirl » October 17th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Wow until now I always figured it was Scully who feel in love first but now my opinion is wavering. Scully always followed Mulder with out question, she may not have agreed with everything but she wasn't cocky or arragent about it. Mulder on the other hand could get so irritating, especailly in the episodes when Scully is reaching out and trusting her faith and religious feelings. Mulder always knocked them down. I don't know I always got the vibe that Scully fell in love first. But I think Mulder noticed it first. I think he realized he loved Scully before Scully realized she loved Mulder. If that makes any sense? Basically Scully was acts the way she does around Mulder because she was subconsciously in love with Mulder. In the episodes when Scully was abducted its easier for Mulder to show his worry, pain for Scully. He lost his sister to the aliens. The only other female in his life (besides his mother, who he was always on boarderline good terms with) who he connected with. The fact that he may also lose Scully, another female he is close with, would be psychologically traumatizing to a person like Mulder. Haha so I would say Subconsciously Scully fell in love first, but Mulder had the guts and personality to admit it to himself first.

Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
Agent Spooky

Postby Agent Spooky » October 18th, 2010, 12:29 pm

SpecialAgent88 wrote:I agree Martina, Mulder and Scully falling in love is what's important and not the when.

[agree] It's just nice to see that they even fell in love at all :).
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » March 7th, 2011, 2:14 pm

**CALLING ALL MODS - IF THIS SHOULD BE SEPARATE THREAD, SCALPEL!**

A good companion question to this thread may be: WHEN did each character fall in love... Scully? Mulder?

I know we saw Jealous Scully especially after the Fowley scene referenced earlier. But I think Scully actually fell or KNEW she was falling in love when she asked Mulder to provide the sperm to help her become pregnant ... Psychologically, I don't believe we fall in love when we experience jealousy. I've been jealous in my life and rarely was in love with the object of my jealousy (assuming it was a relationship dynamic). Strictly speaking, having feelings or being attracted does not equal being in love.

Re Mulder, I have no clue. While I think he loved her it was in his own way, and during the series, any woman in his life would ALWAYS come second to whatever monster or project he was following.... This could be its own topic (not by me) but... I got the sense that Mulder took for granted the fact that most women naturally fell for him, which could be why he so often took Scully for granted....
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013

JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.
JeSouhaite

Postby JeSouhaite » March 9th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Or, is the question: When did they get together?
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » March 10th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Hmmmm... Do you mean, get together mentally? (ye old forehead sex? would love to meet s/he who coined that!)
OR
Do you mean get together physically???? ;comf
Sep 18, 2013

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » March 10th, 2011, 7:34 pm

I first heard the comment of forehead sex from GD78. Maybe this can become their signature kiss. hug]
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » April 21st, 2011, 12:45 pm

Wouldn't it be funny... if the whole "forehead sex" thing came about because of their height differential? Standing Scully on a Scully Box makes sense when portraying "Super "Scully," but for tender moments her diminutive stature plays well to Mulder's height. And since her forehead naturally rests against Mulder's lips ... 
Sep 18, 2013

Thexfilesz
Thexfilesz
Thexfilesz

Postby Thexfilesz » April 24th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I think Scully fell in love first. Mulder wouldn't even let her call him Fox, and you can just see by the way that she looked at him from Pilot even that she was falling for him. If Mulder fell in love with her first, I think they would've gotten together a lot sooner, and perhaps give up The X-Files to be with her? I just think it's very clear that Scully was so devoted to him she almost followed him to her death several times, and she would've gladly. I just can't say that Mulder completely fell in love with her until later on, because if he had he wouldn't let her, and when he did he pushed her away because he was afraid of losing her. Usually it takes until the person you're in love with is either dead or dying for you to admit your true feelings for someone, which really kind of breaks my heart in Memento Mori and Redux and Redux II that Mulder didn't, even then. The only two reasons I can come up with was that he was either in denial that she was going to die and felt that if he told her what he felt for her that he'd be accepting her death, or that he respected her too much to try and turn their relationship into something neither of them wanted. Or the one no one wants to here, he didn't love her like that at that time. But even after almost dying of cancer, Scully didn't stop working with Mulder to go live her life, she continued working with him and was almost killed plenty of times again. I feel like Scully loved Mulder like Mulder loved his work, which is why he didn't fall in love with her until later on. And even in IWTB, Mulder still wouldn't give up his work for Scully, but Scully didn't give up on Mulder. And then there's all the stuff that happened in season 8 and 9 that I don't even like to talk about because it just makes me mad. . . Mulder comes back from the dead and leaves Scully and William the day after William is born for his 'protection' and magically reappears right after Scully gave up William for adoption. Anyways, she was the one sending him love letters when he was gone in season 9, and in IWTB Mulder said they'd run away together, but he only does it after the case he was working on was solved. I think it's pretty unbalanced, but it is the way it is. It's very rare that someone is as devoted to their work as Mulder was, and obviously he was the only one that did what he did, which he couldn't do without Scully. So there comes the question, when does he draw the line and give up his work for Scully? Never. I don't like that, but I respect it because even though a love like Mulder and Scully's is rare, someone giving up everything for what they believe in is even more rare. I guess it's just kind of sad that that isn't Scully. . .

IceQueen444
Phillip Padgett, Typist
IceQueen444

Postby IceQueen444 » May 13th, 2011, 4:42 am

I think it's hard to point out a specific time when they FELL in love I think Scully actually Realized it first though ..... I would explain my timeline but most people would throw sticks because I see them realizing it WAYYYY earlier than most do!

((YEs no longer a Fluke!!! ^_^ Goal of the Week complete!))

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 13th, 2011, 8:00 am

IceQueen444, why don't you share your timeline with us, we're really interested to hear your thoughts.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

IceQueen444
Phillip Padgett, Typist
IceQueen444

Postby IceQueen444 » May 13th, 2011, 3:56 pm

LOL If you really want but you can only throw celery and oranges no tomatoes! ^_^ J/k

We all know from day one they at least had sexual tension between them. They through the other was attractive and who could blame them! I guess I first saw scully start to realize that she might think of him as more than just a friend when the x-files first shut down and she got upset at him not recognizing her in the hall. She looked hurt and yes it could have been from friendship but there was something else there once she left the garage like he had hurt her more than even she realized. I remember sitting through one of the conversations they had a little before her abduction (I don't remember the exact episode) They're talking outside in the daylight and my friends were laughing at me becuase I was chanting "Say it!! Saaaaaayyyy iiiiiiiittt!" and fangirling. It was the tme I realized they never really needed to say anything ever and that almost all the dialog was the keep the viewers up to date! They could pretty much read each other's minds.

I think Mulder at least STARTED to realize how much he loved and needed her when she was taken. In my mind, and I may just be warped, when its two against the world and the two have that strong of an attraction to each other it wouldn't take them long to fall in love or to realize it.... just to actually MENTION it!

Make sense?

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 13th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Interesting point of view IQ444, and I agree with you, that Scully looked hurt during that hallway scene in Little Green Men, when Mulder just seems to be in another world and ignores her. This early in the series, Mulder’s major focus is on the X Files and understanding and trying to locate his missing sister, that’s what drives Mulder and motivates him. Maybe another factor keeping Mulder’s mind preoccupied is the fact that Mulder may have just broken up with Diana Fowley, and getting involved with another FBI Partner is the last thing on his mind.

Scully sees things a little differently; she’s a newbie or rookie FBI Agent, who just got partnered with some crazy agent and is initially sent to spy on him. Scully realizes very early that Mulder gave up a once promising career in Violent Crimes to search for Aliens with most people laughing at him and calling him nuts. I think Scully became enamored with Mulder and came to understand and respect him and his work ethic. Scully realizes Mulder’s a brilliant FBI Agent, and he’s very charming and a maverick, so Scully develops a little crush on Mulder.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

IceQueen444
Phillip Padgett, Typist
IceQueen444

Postby IceQueen444 » May 13th, 2011, 11:08 pm

True. There is definably at least a crush in the earliest of seasons. I guess the giddy little fangirl in me likes to think they jump into things. They're vary cautious but I still can't see it taking quite as long as the 5 or 6 seasons. I think they at the very least started to love each other long before that weather it was enough to sway their actions... honestly I could see both refusing to let feelings get in the way of doing their job so I never really took Mulder's quest into consideration of a change in behavior.

LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director
LondonLady

Postby LondonLady » September 5th, 2012, 1:06 am

Lish31 wrote:...I've been reading this book on the psychology of love and the author basically says this : Falling in love and truly loving someone are not the same thing. Falling in love is a powerful feeling. When you fall in love, it's not something that you can control. It's instinctual, basic. You need that person. Your happiness is dependent on their presence in your life. But needing someone isn't loving someone. It's a more powerful statement to choose to love someone when you don't need them to be happy. Being with someone because you need them is a selfish act. You're meeting your own needs, not theirs. Truly loving someone should be a self-less act.

This is the best distinction between loving someone and being in love that I have ever read. Thank you very much for posting this, Lish31.

Lish31 wrote:...So, when I think about Mulder and Scully in those terms, I think Scully loved Mulder first. During Scully's abduction it was clear how much Mulder needed her. So, maybe he did *fall in love* first. But, when it comes to truly loving each other, I think Scully got there first. I always felt like she was able to assert her independence from him more than he could from her. Ultimately, she chose to be with him, but not because she had to.

When I consider this topic in these terms, I have to agree with you, Lish. I read in a brilliant fanfic that Scully could have been quite happy if she had never met Mulder. I agree, and I could not say the same thing for Mulder. He needed Scully, which may have led him to fall in love with her, as you assert. I think that ultimately Mulder also chose to be with Scully, but I agree that his original "love" for her might have been borne of fulfilling his own need to be loved.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012

HristinaB
Big Mike, Staff Vet
HristinaB

Postby HristinaB » September 5th, 2012, 11:03 am

I'm surprised to read how a lot of fans think Scully realised she was in love with Mulder somewhere around "The End".

What about "Small Potatoes", people?? Scully is definitely smitten with Mulder in that one and although -- true to herself -- she hesitates a bit when he leans in for the kiss, she was ready to kiss him back!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it.

LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director
LondonLady

Postby LondonLady » December 5th, 2012, 1:22 am

Indeed, she was! hug]
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012

Dreamsavvy
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
Dreamsavvy

Postby Dreamsavvy » January 30th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I've literally just started this series and in a few weeks I'm now in season 4.

I've been impressed by the nature of her character, or possibly the inherent feelings of the actress herself, and that Scully fell in love with Mulder first. They both had an instant attraction of course, they're both beautiful people, but Mulder was distracted by his overt obsessions with finding "the truth". Scully initially viewed this as a kind of dedication for which she probably both related and admired.

I'm not 100% sure when Mulder falls in love, because I'm still in the beginning, but I have noticed a HUGE difference in how he looks at her after she discovers she has cancer, having only skipped to some later episodes. I think he loves her earlier in secret but disregards these feelings as something that can never be brought to fruition either by the fact that they work together and are therefor bound by obligation to a strictly platonic relationship, or that she may not share these feelings and Mulder doesn't seem the type to be very good with relationships anyway (judging by, among other reasons, the fact that he doesn't even kiss her until he's found a "past" her for which the REAL Scully will have no recollection. He also grabs her quite fervently which supports that he loved her in his own "spooky" secret Mulder way.)

There's also something very charming about Mulder, and Scully slowly begins to draw herself closer to him in her very body language starting from the first few episodes. And when I say slowly, I mean SLOOOOWWWLLYY.....

I had to skip ahead and watch kissing scenes and together scenes, just to make sure they DID get together, and because I was getting SICK waiting for it DAMMIT!!!!

...but also because I come from a Star Trek: Voyager background, and after years of waiting, Janeway and Chakotay never even kissed. I couldn't take that kind of heartbreak again and was going to stop watching if they didn't get together.

I'm happily appeased. :)
~Dreamsavvy~

"I feel these words as if their meaning were weight lifted from me... knowing that you will read them and share my burden as I have come to trust no other."

PiperMaru
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
PiperMaru

Postby PiperMaru » March 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Until I read this thread, I was convinced that Mulder had fallen in love first. Now, it is more vague than ever! lol. I can totally see Scully actually falling for and not realizing that she loved Mulder, and even when she did, I can see her hiding it extremely well. You all make very good points, but now I wonder who truly feel first.
In the end, I'm just glad they did. Awesome on screen chemistry that is nearly impossible to find and duplicate.

Righthere
Brad Wilczek, Systems Development
Righthere

Postby Righthere » April 4th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Great posts Lish!

I've never thought about Mulder and Scully falling in love. This is quite a strong feeling and it usually develops after meeting someone new, and it implies physical attraction as well. Mulder often made sexual references in his dialogues with Scully and looked quite concerned about her prettiness. However, he was reluctant or just unable to bring it to any level, so I do not think he ever fell for her in the accepted meaning of the word. Neither did Scully finding him little available for a relationship. To me they grew to love each other through years of friendship and saving the world and themselves. They merged one into another, not being able to stay separated, finding the truth in themselves.
Seeing is believing

Muldersgirl9
Muldersgirl9
Muldersgirl9

Postby Muldersgirl9 » April 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm

I think that Mulder was the first to fall in love. I think it happened for him as early as season 2. Everytime I watch the Ascension/One Breath arc I feel that Mulder is blatantly madly in love with Scully and would do anything for her.

Also, he is the one who actually seems to be IN love with her. He cares about Scully, he protects her, he is always flirting with her, he wants to spend time with her, he tries to do what he thinks will make her happy. He also touches her a LOT more than she touches him. Even in season 6 when she was in love with him she didn't seem comfortable with the touching

I think that Scully had a little crush on Mulder in the beginning but that wore off after a while. I would say she fell in love around season 4.

Amber Lynn LaPierre
Amber Lynn LaPierre

Postby Amber Lynn LaPierre » July 21st, 2013, 7:08 am

That's an interesting question and I never thought about it actually... Difficult. I think Scully was interested in Mulder from the beginning, how she looks at him sometimes or defends him against others (like Colton in Tooms). She even said he was cute to her friend (I did want to hear that so badly :) )... Well I think she gave up hope because he was so obsessed with his work. But I think it was just a little crush in the beginning that faded out a Little and came back to develop to real love... I wonder about my favorite quote in Rain King when she says: "One day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."

That sounds like she fell in love with him after a special situation/circumstance. Was it her cancer? The Fowley Thing? Or waaay earlier? I dont know. Maybe she doesnt either :dk
"Let them take you to Germany, they make nice cars" ... Thx Mulder, lol :dd

ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.
ItsOutThere

Postby ItsOutThere » July 26th, 2013, 12:38 am

I definitely agree with the majority in thinking it was Mulder. Though I guess you could say they both fell at the same time, were too stubborn to admit it to themselves and had different ways of showing it? All I can say, it I remember watching as a kid and thinking 'Wow, it's such a shame that she doesn't feel the same way'. Take for instance the episode Triangle, even though its in an alternate reality(and it isn't really Scully), he is the first to "make a "move" but also the first to say "I love you". Of course Scully passes this off as being whatever drugs he is on. In saying that though, when looking at how Scully reacts to the news that Mulder is in danger - threatening agents, going behind the backs of authority (What's news there) and kissing Skinner because she is overwhelmed! Maybe she said "Oh brother" as a defense.. had she said it and it was the drugs, it would have made things a tad awkward.

Looking back though there are so many "moments" where both or either character shows something that could be interpreted as "falling in love" - Scully's reaction to the Fowl One, Mulder as he struggles over the thought of loosing Scully to cancer, the hand touches and hugs and everything in between. Whatever it is, and whoever fell first, all I know is that THIS is what makes them one of the best couples of all time!
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

Squee
Squee
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
Squee

Postby Squee » March 2nd, 2014, 12:06 am

This thread is actually what made me want to join the forum!

I definitely think Scully was the first to fall. I wouldn't say Mulder didn't have a crush on Scully...he obviously cares for her deeply, but I think the crush turned serious for Scully first. It might be a little before, but definitely while Scully is in the hospital during her cancer phase...the fact that of all the people in her life she chooses to write to she chooses Mulder, is definitely telling. That was where her comfort was. That's who was in her heart and mind while she was potentially on her deathbed. Which is another good point - when you're close to death, things that may have been hidden from you before...the truth of your feelings and regrets pops up to the surface very quickly. I think it's only because she recovered and went back to a more "normal" life that she pushed those feelings back down again. I think if Scully was not going to make it, she would've confessed her feelings to Mulder in her writing.

Damn, I'm further along than I thought. I just watched Milagro se6ep18 last night, and I think that was cement proof to the viewer (the writer saying Scully is already in love) that Scully has feelings for Mulder.

I agree with someone else who said earlier that Mulder was just too driven and consumed with his work to even have any real room for entertaining romantic feelings.

LostCat19
LostCat19
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner
LostCat19

Postby LostCat19 » March 9th, 2014, 12:41 am

I'd actually have to say Scully.

Think about it - why else does Scully stay on The X-Files? Mulder has his beliefs and his work, but Scully doesn't share his beliefs and has other promising career options lying in wait for her. But she nevertheless chooses to stay with Mulder. Why? She's in love with the man. Clear and simple.

As for the specific moment it happened, I don't think that's a question that can ever be answered. Perhaps it was always the case, and there was just a point in the series when they were more open about it. Certainly you can see that with the hallway scene in Fight the Future and onward.

LittleStarbuck
LittleStarbuck

Postby LittleStarbuck » March 5th, 2015, 12:44 pm

I believe that Scully was the first to fall in love, and she did so rather early on, but was in EXTREME denial over her feelings for Mulder because -and let's be honest- he can be flibbing annoying at times.

If she hadn't have developed some extremely strong emotions for him early on, I don't think that as a cold hard scientist she would have put up with his solutions of aliens, aliens, aliens yadda yadda yadda. I mean, even I found myself going "No, Mulder, no" and I believe in the possibility of life out there. There must have been some powerful bond that made her follow him.

When did Scully accept her feelings for Mulder? I'd say after Existence.
Yes.
I believe that it took Scully nearly 9 years accept what she had been feeling since the beginning...
Silly Scully

As for Mr Mulder, I think that he cared a lot about Scully, and I mean a lot. I think that he developed a platonic love for her maybe the same time she developed romantic love for him, but he was much more open about his platonic love, especially in Memento Mori, I didn't see romance in that scene, only intense care and extreme friendshipy love.

I think he went from loving her to being in love with her in Fight the Future. In that exact scene where he is faced with the harsh reality of Scully leaving him and the X-Files, I think it was then that he came to realise everything. Urgh, so beautiful.

So with Scully being in love with Mulder so early on, and Mulder being in love with Scully from season 6, why didn't they just get together? My theory is that Mulder would have, but he thought that Scully didn't feel the same way because -as we all know- Scully is silly and denied her feelings.

When they did get together, finally admitting their feelings, it was all thanks to William.

Thanks William, we all owe you one.