XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Why the Mulder/Scully relationship is so beautiful

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

Re: Why the Mulder/Scully relationship is so beautiful

Postby Agent Spooky » October 2nd, 2015, 10:55 pm

Andrew80 wrote:Agent Spooky, it is only the romantic aspect of their relationship that is broken, they are still great friends and obviously partners in the revival. CC's motivation is clear-lack of fresh ideas. He virtually admitted as much-saying that he broke them up because it was a great storytelling opportunity. But don't worry, they'll certainly end up together again, in this installment or the next, because this is Hollywood we're talking about and romances never stay broken up for long time there except when a character dies and there is no indication that's going to happen with S and M. :)

It makes no difference to me. -_- Word. But tbh, I disagree whole heartedly on it. It just shows what a weak writer he is imo. And tbh, looking back on things sadly, I'd probably be a noromo myself. Since he's shown that he isn't able to write romance. A damn shame, but it's there plain as day. As for that, things are still VERY uncertain. So saying platitudes such as that doesn't make up for bad writing. Her possibly going with Tad makes no damn sense. And neither does her leaving Mulder (if that's the case). Only way is if Mulder told her to go live her life.

This whole thing just reeks to me. Sorry. But I can't find anything worth while to 'hold' onto while Chris YET AGAIN plays more of his stupid, juvenile games. I've grown up and I'm sick and tired of that kind of thing. It's so damn disingenuous. It'll be another two years or so and god knows how long if things EVEN work out. If this flops, M & S could be screwed over royally, forever stuck in whatever 'unresolved' means for them and that would be a real shame.

But tbh, I don't give a damn about it either :(. I don't really think that there should be a s11. This one looks like it'll be a mess. And I'd hate for things to get even more messed up. The more I've learned about this, the more I wished that things would have been left be with IWTB.

/end rant

Sorry about that. I'm just feeling so conflicted about things right now. I'm feeling so sad about it.

Fallon wrote:
Andrew80 wrote:
Fallon wrote:I also believe things will work out. hug]

It is inevitable. It only depends on whether they have planned other seasons after this one. If so, they'll end this one with cliffhanger and their romance will be resumed in the next one (to create tension, anticipation and therefore boost ratings). If not, they'll have been reunited before/in episode 6.

That's what I think. No way they would be left in the dust altogether.

I hope you guys are right on it. Because right now I feel like crap.
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 2nd, 2015, 11:09 pm

FWIW, I think you're way wrong. CC is an outstanding writer, and his breaking up M&S doesn't mean a "lack of fresh ideas". It means he (and the other writers) recognize that there's more dramatic potential when they're not together.

Even as someone who doesn't really care if they're together or not, I can almost guarantee you they'll have them reconcile and be back together by the end of this six episode event.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Agent Spooky » October 2nd, 2015, 11:19 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:FWIW, I think you're way wrong. CC is an outstanding writer, and his breaking up M&S doesn't mean a "lack of fresh ideas". It means he (and the other writers) recognize that there's more dramatic potential when they're not together.

Even as someone who doesn't really care if they're together or not, I can almost guarantee you they'll have them reconcile and be back together by the end of this six episode event.

Guess we can agree to disagree on that then. When he's good he's good, when he's not... he's not. And this is from someone who likes a lot of his work. I love most of his eps, but it wouldn't be right or fair to say that he's perfect as a writer either imo. I find that to be just another excuse to use another worn out trope imo. They're doing something similar on Castle and on The Muppets... and frankly it's just bad.

I hope you're right on it.

Agent Spooky

Postby Andrew80 » October 3rd, 2015, 5:44 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:FWIW, I think you're way wrong. CC is an outstanding writer, and his breaking up M&S doesn't mean a "lack of fresh ideas". It means he (and the other writers) recognize that there's more dramatic potential when they're not together.

As I told you three times before, I want that dramatic potential invested into mysteries and paranormal, not into be together-break up-be back again plot. Not because I hate love or romances, but because mysteries, conspiracies and paranormal are what X-Files are all about. Ok, maybe not all, but 95%. If it had been Mulder and Doggett or Scully and Reyes investigating from Season 1 onward, I'd still be a fervent X-phile (no homophobia intended). So, when they have to resort to soap opera stuff, it is a clear indication for me that they're (or were) lacking creativity and fresh ideas in other departments. In addition, we also have to consider time limit-romantic issues can be a good back-up story in a 2-hour movie format, but in 40-minutes TV episodes there's simply not enough time to do both romance/break up/romance again AND conspiracies/paranormal/monsters thingies.

CC is not a bad writer, he is an outstanding writer, but after 204 episodes and two films we may have to accept the fact that he is finally spent. I certainly hope I am wrong and I certainly hope he and other guys will deliver a hugely pleasant surprise to all of us by dishing out 6 fantastic new episodes, MSR or no MSR.

P.S. Your message board activity in the last 3 months-you log on, you quote me, you tell me I am wrong, you log off. :D :D :D
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 6th, 2015, 1:17 am

I actually log on all the time and read every single new post.

And in this case I'm actually in complete agreement with what you just wrote. I'm hoping they stick with the paranormal, the conspiracies, and the mystery. Perhaps this "break-up" will be a chance to focus on those things instead of the MSR (though I know that would probably upset a huge portion of the fandom, so even that's not probably a wise approach for them).
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » October 6th, 2015, 2:46 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I actually log on all the time and read every single new post.

And in this case I'm actually in complete agreement with what you just wrote. I'm hoping they stick with the paranormal, the conspiracies, and the mystery. Perhaps this "break-up" will be a chance to focus on those things instead of the MSR (though I know that would probably upset a huge portion of the fandom, so even that's not probably a wise approach for them).

We actually AGREE on something? Will wonders never cease? :D :D

As for the revival, well...I still thing mythology is beyond repair, but my hopes are actually up for the MotW episodes. If Home Again lives to its pompous announcement and DM delivers another Bruckman- or Chung-like masterpiece, the reboot will be a relative success.
Andrew80

Postby Agent Spooky » October 7th, 2015, 9:19 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I actually log on all the time and read every single new post.

Here's the irony: With this break up, it'll end up bringing more attention to it imo. So instead of being able to focus on what you mentioned... the focus will be on the MSR.

Agent Spooky

Postby Andrew80 » October 8th, 2015, 2:36 am

Agent Spooky wrote:

Here's the irony: With this break up, it'll end up bringing more attention to it imo. So instead of being able to focus on what you mentioned... the focus will be on the MSR.

That is exactly my issue with it. I was against them getting romantically involved in the first place, exactly because it brought focus to the MSR. Now they did it, I am against the break up-exactly because it will bring renewed focus on the MSR. :)

The good news is-there will in all probability be more mini-series and specials after the reboot (CC announced it), so they will hopefully have enough time to handle MSR without affecting the other part of the story too much. Do not get me wrong-I absolutely love both Scully and Mulder as characters, but I prefer when CC leaves their romantic relationship (whether positive or negative aspects of it) off screen.
Andrew80

Postby TruthIsOutThere » October 8th, 2015, 3:06 pm

I have the same concerns, Andrew.

I'm optimistic that CC will not be focusing so much on their relationship; that's bolstered by what we hear from the reviews coming out of Cannes, like where that Frenchman says (from the link Joss posted) "We don't try to make a movie where they're in love. Not at all. These are the true X-Files."
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » October 8th, 2015, 4:12 pm

TruthIsOutThere wrote:I have the same concerns, Andrew.

I'm optimistic that CC will not be focusing so much on their relationship; that's bolstered by what we hear from the reviews coming out of Cannes, like where that Frenchman says (from the link Joss posted) "We don't try to make a movie where they're in love. Not at all. These are the true X-Files."

The reviews of the Episode 1 from the people that watched it really got my hopes up, not just for the relationship issues, for the whole thing. Let's hope they kept it action-packed, mysterious and scary in the rest of the show too. As long as they avoid the stuff we saw in Syzygy, Never Again, all things or Existence, it's good-I mean, I don't like watching MSR, but I don't like 'em arguing throughout the whole episode about silly trivial things like office desks or road directions either. :) They, as well as environment they live in, might not be compatible for romantic relationship, but they are not an old married couple that got bored with each other either. They're still soulmates and they care deeply for each-other. Their main unifying factor is their mutual love for truth, justice and mystery-solving. Intellectual MSR is the best MSR there is :)

In addition, there are of course technical issues I mentioned before-time-frame and necessity to allocate as much time to mysteries, conspiracies and paranormal as possible.
Andrew80

Postby Agent Spooky » October 9th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Andrew80 wrote:
TruthIsOutThere wrote:I have the same concerns, Andrew.

The reviews of the Episode 1 from the people that watched it really got my hopes up, not just for the relationship issues, for the whole thing. Let's hope they kept it action-packed, mysterious and scary in the rest of the show too. As long as they avoid the stuff we saw in Syzygy, Never Again, all things or Existence, it's good-I mean, I don't like watching MSR, but I don't like 'em arguing throughout the whole episode about silly trivial things like office desks or road directions either. :) They, as well as environment they live in, might not be compatible for romantic relationship, but they are not an old married couple that got bored with each other either. They're still soulmates and they care deeply for each-other. Their main unifying factor is their mutual love for truth, justice and mystery-solving. Intellectual MSR is the best MSR there is :)

In addition, there are of course technical issues I mentioned before-time-frame and necessity to allocate as much time to mysteries, conspiracies and paranormal as possible.

Not mine :notm( . I have no interest in the first 6 seasons of the XF again. We saw their 'intellectual' relationship played and stretched to its limit. To see it back there again is a pathetic joke to me.

It just shows that Chris isn't able to write M & S as two grown adults imo.

Andrew80 wrote:
Agent Spooky wrote:

That is exactly my issue with it. I was against them getting romantically involved in the first place, exactly because it brought focus to the MSR. Now they did it, I am against the break up-exactly because it will bring renewed focus on the MSR. :)

The good news is-there will in all probability be more mini-series and specials after the reboot (CC announced it), so they will hopefully have enough time to handle MSR without affecting the other part of the story too much. Do not get me wrong-I absolutely love both Scully and Mulder as characters, but I prefer when CC leaves their romantic relationship (whether positive or negative aspects of it) off screen.

The good news for me: I can turn the channel. Since it's becoming a bad joke. :P But all kidding aside, I have NO interest in seeing CC's games play out on screen anymore. NONE. Looking back on all of the implied/off screen stuff now shows that. That he loves to play games with the shippers and that he has no intention of ever letting the characters grow. At least from what I can tell.

Heck I'd be a noromo myself if I were watching today, given what I know now. It's not worth the hassle.

Agent Spooky

Postby Andrew80 » October 9th, 2015, 4:31 pm

You raised some valid points but still...what the hell did you expect? :D It is fiction, not real life, you know...
Andrew80

Postby Agent Spooky » October 10th, 2015, 10:26 am

Andrew80 wrote:You raised some valid points but still...what the hell did you expect? :D It is fiction, not real life, you know...

I know. :P

Didn't expect anything less from CC tbh. :lol:

Agent Spooky

Postby LyndaDay » October 12th, 2015, 8:12 pm

So.....is this the place for spoilers? Did anyone catch David's slips in his post Comic Con interviews? One word in particular jumped out, but i wasn't sure whether this was the place to discuss.
LyndaDay
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Andrew80 » October 13th, 2015, 2:22 am

LyndaDay wrote:So.....is this the place for spoilers? Did anyone catch David's slips in his post Comic Con interviews? One word in particular jumped out, but i wasn't sure whether this was the place to discuss.

There is a topic "Revival Up Dates" in the General Discussion forum, that is the place for all spoilers :)
Andrew80

Postby maurisap » October 23rd, 2015, 5:10 pm

Agent Spooky wrote:
Just don't get CC's reasoning for doing some things this time around. And I never will.

I don't understand either. Truthfully, this decision diminished my excitement for the revival--- NOT because I'm pouting over no love interest, but because this should be a non-issue for the show. M&S together=no big deal because it's already established. We could therefore focus on the x-files mysteries instead of relationships.

Now however, everyone is going to focus on relationships and we will get a lot of angst. I think CC did this just for the newsworthy factor of splitting them up and that makes me mad.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby Agent Spooky » November 1st, 2015, 11:00 pm

maurisap wrote:
Agent Spooky wrote:
Just don't get CC's reasoning for doing some things this time around. And I never will.

I don't understand either. Truthfully, this decision diminished my excitement for the revival--- NOT because I'm pouting over no love interest, but because this should be a non-issue for the show. M&S together=no big deal because it's already established. We could therefore focus on the x-files mysteries instead of relationships.

Now however, everyone is going to focus on relationships and we will get a lot of angst. I think CC did this just for the newsworthy factor of splitting them up and that makes me mad.

Word. Exactly. It doesn't make sense. I know he wanted to 'explore' their relationship, but there are so many ways of doing so that don't involve breaking them up. They could be going through some issues, and yet the focus can be mainly on the cases.

Yep. And that sucks. It seems as if it's for the money. I remember even reading an interview that DD did where he joked about it being 'greed'. But meh. At least we know that they'll bring it, even if Chris doesn't. And it's in part what frustrates me. Those two are diamonds. And he keeps on wasting them. :uh( IWTB didn't in part, but it's frustrating when he does.

One thing that really ticks me off is the fact that we've been hit over the head by it, along with some articles that treat us like we're children and are unable to think for ourselves or even have our own opinions. The arrogance of it ticks me off. And given the EW fest panel, it sounds as if CC still thinks we're children or something. :x Same goes with XFN.

I don't count on much in the revival when it comes to M & S. It just sounds like it'll be sad for a lot of it.

Agent Spooky

Postby TruthIsOutThere » November 2nd, 2015, 12:00 am

FWIW, I think most of the Shippers (from what I have seen, anyway) have it all wrong, and are making judgments based on assumptions that likely aren't even going to happen.

I think the #1 thing is that CC and co. thought about things and realized that they wanted to go back to the earlier years of the show. I think this is even reflected in who was chosen to be writers for the new episodes (especially when FS and VG weren't available). They decided that they wanted a M&S who wanted each other, were attracted to each other, who flirted, but who weren't in a relationship. They also wanted to get back to them being FBI agents, investigating things that "scared your pants off"; spooky flashlights with monsters in the dark and all. I think all that is reflected in what we're getting, and it's very intentional. They did all that while still remaining true to what the characters have been through (that they did have a relationship, that they had a kid together, left the FBI, etc.). They COULD have just done some sort of time-travel, or some other sci-fi explanation (like they had in "Dreamland") that had them take a different path (where they ended up in 2016 but weren't together, they were still in the FBI, CSM and TLG still alive, etc.). But instead they (well, CC) decided to go back to the formula the show had when it was the most successful (and really resonated with the audience).

I fully expect that the six episodes will not only be about really scary, creepy stuff (the MotW eps, anyway), but that M&S will, in working together, grow closer again. CC has said that the M/S "arc" will evolve and develop throughout all six episodes, and I expect that by the end they'll be at least where they were in FTF (where they both nearly kissed).

But I think many of the Shippers have seen a few hints about things, heard that M&S are broken up, and now see boogey men where none exist. They're convinced that CC's purpose in life is to come over to their house each night to let the air out of their tires and to piss in their Corn Flakes. How he loves to torment M&S like a child shining a magnifying glass on a bug. Frankly, I don't see it. I think these are irrational fears, and it's too bad they can't view these trailers like the rest of the world, seeing something that looks amazing, outstanding, and really well done. Some say they aren't even going to watch the new episodes, which strikes me as bizarre. So they spend hours daily whining online about a show they're not even going to watch? Yep, that's not crazy at all! :?
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Agent Spooky » November 2nd, 2015, 12:28 am

TruthIsOutThere wrote:FWIW, I think most of the Shippers (from what I have seen, anyway) have it all wrong, and are making judgments based on assumptions that likely aren't even going to happen.

I think the #1 thing is that CC and co. thought about things and realized that they wanted to go back to the earlier years of the show. I think this is even reflected in who was chosen to be writers for the new episodes (especially when FS and VG weren't available). They decided that they wanted a M&S who wanted each other, were attracted to each other, who flirted, but who weren't in a relationship. They also wanted to get back to them being FBI agents, investigating things that "scared your pants off"; spooky flashlights with monsters in the dark and all. I think all that is reflected in what we're getting, and it's very intentional. They did all that while still remaining true to what the characters have been through (that they did have a relationship, that they had a kid together, left the FBI, etc.). They COULD have just done some sort of time-travel, or some other sci-fi explanation (like they had in "Dreamland") that had them take a different path (where they ended up in 2016 but weren't together, they were still in the FBI, CSM and TLG still alive, etc.). But instead they (well, CC) decided to go back to the formula the show had when it was the most successful (and really resonated with the audience).

I fully expect that the six episodes will not only be about really scary, creepy stuff (the MotW eps, anyway), but that M&S will, in working together, grow closer again. CC has said that the M/S "arc" will evolve and develop throughout all six episodes, and I expect that by the end they'll be at least where they were in FTF (where they both nearly kissed).

But I think many of the Shippers have seen a few hints about things, heard that M&S are broken up, and now see boogey men where none exist. They're convinced that CC's purpose in life is to come over to their house each night to let the air out of their tires and to piss in their Corn Flakes. How he loves to torment M&S like a child shining a magnifying glass on a bug. Frankly, I don't see it. I think these are irrational fears, and it's too bad they can't view these trailers like the rest of the world, seeing something that looks amazing, outstanding, and really well done. Some say they aren't even going to watch the new episodes, which strikes me as bizarre. So they spend hours daily whining online about a show they're not even going to watch? Yep, that's not crazy at all! :?

Sorry, but not everyone thinks like you (and others) do about it. That's the beauty of having 'different' opinions. And they also view the trailers differently as well. Again, sorry that they don't see them as you (and others do).

CC does have a history there. And that's what most people are concerned about. It isn't irrational by a long shot imo. Just because you assume it is, doesn't mean that people don't have a right to feel the way they do about it.

They've basically treated fans like they're children in parts too. Read my share of articles where they told shippers to 'dry their tears' amongst other things and all it did was make me upset (not too much, but a bit). I don't blame fans for feeling the way they do now. To be belittled, condescended down to. It's like getting hit over the head over and over again.

I can see where you're coming from too, but at the end of the day, Fox and CC can be a bit much at times, and I don't blame people venting about it some what.

To go back to that just feels rather false to me now tbh. I know that CC wants to probably make up for it, but it's too little too late imo. After this, who knows if some fans will even bother watching. And I don't blame them for feeling that way.

To continue this... 'will they, won't they' nonsense just doesn't make a ton of sense to me anymore. It makes more sense to go after their son and focus on the cases as they come.

Agent Spooky

Postby TruthIsOutThere » November 2nd, 2015, 2:09 am

Agent Spooky wrote:
TruthIsOutThere wrote:FWIW, I think most of the Shippers (from what I have seen, anyway) have it all wrong, and are making judgments based on assumptions that likely aren't even going to happen.

Sorry, but not everyone thinks like you (and others) do about it. That's the beauty of having 'different' opinions. And they also view the trailers differently as well. Again, sorry that they don't see them as you (and others do).

Why are you sorry that not everybody thinks like me? I'm sure not. What a boring world it would be if everybody saw things the same!

Agent Spooky wrote:CC does have a history there. And that's what most people are concerned about. It isn't irrational by a long shot imo. Just because you assume it is, doesn't mean that people don't have a right to feel the way they do about it.

I don't agree that CC has a history there. And because I feel one way, what gave you the idea that I thought people "don't have a right" to feel the way they do? You are very much ascribing viewpoints to me that I did not even hint at.

Agent Spooky wrote:They've basically treated fans like they're children in parts too. Read my share of articles where they told shippers to 'dry their tears' amongst other things and all it did was make me upset (not too much, but a bit). I don't blame fans for feeling the way they do now. To be belittled, condescended down to. It's like getting hit over the head over and over again.

I've watched tons of interviews, with CC and others (all I can get my hands on) and I haven't seen or heard anything even remotely condescending. CC has said he is making this for the hard-core fans, and I take him at his word on that. He's suggested a few times (tongue firmly in cheek) that he might need a bulletproof vest, but considering the hatred, vitriol, and rhetoric, I don't find that insulting or condescending in the slightest. He realizes that his decision to break up M&S will make some Shippers upset.

Agent Spooky wrote:I can see where you're coming from too, but at the end of the day, Fox and CC can be a bit much at times, and I don't blame people venting about it some what.

From everything I've always seen, CC and FOX have been in two vastly different camps. They see about as "eye to eye" as you and I do. They even had to resolve a lawsuit, which suggests serious acrimony. I don't find them to be 'on the same side' of much of anything (other than finally both are promoting the show; something that didn't really happen with IWTB).

Agent Spooky wrote:To go back to that just feels rather false to me now tbh. I know that CC wants to probably make up for it, but it's too little too late imo. After this, who knows if some fans will even bother watching. And I don't blame them for feeling that way.

To continue this... 'will they, won't they' nonsense just doesn't make a ton of sense to me anymore. It makes more sense to go after their son and focus on the cases as they come.

But to be fair we don't even know if there will be any "will they or won't they?" That's all just assumptions. For all we know they will go after their son and focus on cases as they come. That's a huge part of my point. You're blasting something you haven't even seen! And to further confound things, you say you might not even watch it (and understand others who won't). I suppose if you don't watch it, and people tell you that you were completely wrong (about all of your assumptions), you'll continue to insist that it's not worth seeing?
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby Andrew80 » February 2nd, 2016, 2:01 pm

Episode 3 of the revival, Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Monster, shows exactly why their relationship is so beautiful. It's definitely the shippiest episode there is. It may not ponder their romantic relationship (past or present) but it shows something much more profound and authentic, a much bigger love between the two-the deep bond of hearts, minds and souls that, with the passage of time enriched both of them. Now Mulder the dreamer, the believer in everything fantastic (from flukemen to monsters to little green aliens) seeks for "internal logic" while Scully the hard-nosed scientist suddenly becomes a little girl who desperately wants a dog. That's what love is, ladies and gentlemen-who cares where and with whom they (or anybody else sharing such a thing) sleep.
Andrew80

Postby lostinlove » February 4th, 2016, 11:51 am

Andrew, I like your description of love very much.
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 4th, 2016, 5:10 pm

We're only halfway through the revival, but I find it interesting that:

a) the predictions of lots of angst and bitterness between M&S didn't really materialize (like I said way back when, those were assumptions, and they turned out to be wrong). M&S clearly care for each other and are moving closer as the season progresses.

b) and people aren't choosing to not watch the show. There's reports that the show is breaking world ratings records and that the entire planet is watching.

Note that I'm still concerned that CC might be completely retconning the entire old show, which would be very disappointing. But I'll continue to watch and see what happens, and hope that he won't do that.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby SculderLover » June 6th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Yes! I want them to continue the story they have already started. I don't want them to erase everything that happened that brought our characters closer together in the first place. They have too much rich histroy with each other for that.
SculderLover
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Previous

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships