XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

When did you realise?

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

When did you realise?

Postby Petrie_likethedish » November 13th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I have two questions M&S shippers:
When did you start shipping them compared to (looking back) when you actually think they started being significant others (although "not in the widely understood definition of that term" like Mulder says).

This is because I didn't realize until very late that they where actually together. Until All Things hit me on the head with the big suggestion. Yes, even Skully's reaction to Fowley and after Milagro I just did not take it too seriously. Blame my being too engrossed in the stories to notice. I always enjoyed the chemistry and the caring but I somehow never caught on to the seriousness of it. I'd like to know if there are many like me who where as offset I was.
Petrie_likethedish
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Re: When did you realise?

Postby Quest » January 26th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I think I shipped them probably from the pilot episode. I remember all the hype before the show aired, how the two characters involved weren't supposed to be a couple, there wasn't supposed to be any kind of romantic involvment between them. So I remember my attitude when the pilot aired that it was going to be this ground breaking show that was going to leave all the nonsense behind and simply concentrate on the story lines. Well, by the end of that first episode, when Mulder takes off looking for Scully after she's lost in the woods and he's telling her what he saw with Billy Miles and the bright light--I was done.

THE ANSWERS ARE THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THEM.
Quest
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber

Postby Shipperatheart » February 8th, 2013, 9:21 pm

I feel the same as Quest said fopr the pilot episode.
And in Tooms, when Mulder said it could be love if there is an ice tea in that bag. Oh! That's it! I'm sold.
Also the way Mulder looks as Scully is so dreamy. And their height different, it always looks like Mulder is about to lean down to kiss Scully.
And I love the way they whisper to each other in some episodes. Melted!
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby maurisap » February 14th, 2013, 10:02 pm

I was strictly NoRomo until Scully had cancer, and Mulder held her in the hospital. Then I gave in to the romo side!
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby JeSouhaite » July 8th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Quest wrote:I remember all the hype before the show aired, how the two characters involved weren't supposed to be a couple...

No way. Really?? I don't remember that at all. I don't remember the hype.

Regardless, I was oblivious to the relationship until around season 4. I might have wanted them to get together before that, but I didn't sense their feelings for each other until about season 4. After season 4, I knew they longed for each other.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123
JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby Milagro » July 15th, 2013, 8:59 am

During season 1 I realized that they love each other...but I did not ship them at that point.
"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it." (Scully)
Milagro
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby queenofhollywood » August 14th, 2013, 10:06 am

I only started watching it around season 4, so I already had the notion of them together in my mind. I rented the Tooms episode on VHS and like Shipperatheart pointed out, the root beer conversation showed me the love was there from the start. Maybe because I already had that in mind I felt like they were already attracted to each other in the pilot when I finally did get to watch it.

And also, (this is probably my hopeless romantic side speaking) it feels like they were playing hide the salami all throughout season 7, maybe even after Millennium, just off camera. Image :day
Sig and avvie shamelessly stolen from someone on Deviant Art. Thank you, whoever you are!
queenofhollywood

Postby AmorFati1220 » August 19th, 2013, 10:05 pm

I started watching around the end of season 4, and started shipping them with Demons. Scully was so devoted and Mulder was such a mess which I found incredibly attractive, lol. I think I never got the notion that they belonged together out of my mind after that, so while I caught up on the entirety of Seasons 1-4, I saw nothing but love, love, love everywhere I looked :day

queenofhollywood wrote:And also, (this is probably my hopeless romantic side speaking) it feels like they were playing hide the salami all throughout season 7, maybe even after Millennium, just off camera. Image :day

Haha... I wish I could say the same. I don't know if it was just me, but I felt completely robbed by the bee in FTF, and it was never really the same after. I *hated* the way that they didn't even acknowledge that happened in Season 6 and then the Fowey was mucking everything up. I mean, she was creating mad tension between our two leads in all the eps she was actually in, and then when she wasn't around it was like M&S were supposed to be "getting closer" and they were trying to give shippers little nuggets to hang onto in different eps, but I never forgot that the Fowl One would be around come the next mythology ep and it made my stomach hurt even when they were flirting in MOTWs. I have issues though.

I found Season 7 disappointing in that way as well, but in rewatches there are a few eps where I can see it. I am happy they finally got them together in later seasons, but I really enjoyed 1-5 and FTF the most in terms of relationship stuff. With a little HollywoodAD/Requiem/Existence/The Truth thrown in for good measure :)
AmorFati1220
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby queenofhollywood » August 22nd, 2013, 12:32 am

I have a friend who had never seen it before and during my re-watch I poisoned her in a total non-black oil way and got her wanting to see it. She's on The Host, watching it all in order. She knows they end up together so she's enjoying the ride. It's very interesting to see it through her eyes. She said something interesting, after having seen a clip of The Unnatural, that she loved seeing what their relationship will evolve into but also she is enjoying seeing the beginnings of it and how they get more and more comfortable around each other.

I definitely noticed it too on my own re-watch, but I always knew what was coming. She doesn't. So I'm loving to get her perspective too.
Sig and avvie shamelessly stolen from someone on Deviant Art. Thank you, whoever you are!
queenofhollywood

Postby Agent Skulder » August 22nd, 2013, 6:34 am

QOH - Kudos on converting someone new! I'd love to be able to introduce someone to the series, just to hear their reactions & perspective! #jealous (in a good way)! :)
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby queenofhollywood » August 22nd, 2013, 9:09 am

Thanks! 8-) I feel quite accomplished. Mom says I'm like the Pusher! I was quite proud of her for the reference. :) Although to be fair she did say "You're like that guy on that X Files episode that makes people do stuff." Close enough.
queenofhollywood

Postby ItsOutThere » February 7th, 2014, 6:01 pm

maurisap wrote:I was strictly NoRomo until Scully had cancer, and Mulder held her in the hospital. Then I gave in to the romo side!

Agreed, I would definitely say that is when I started seeing them become "significant others". From then on I jumped on the bandwagon for wanting them as a couple and spent each week hoping something would happen :P.

In saying that though, even from my young age when I started watching, I could see the "chemistry" but attributed this to a coincidence between GA and DD, not an intentional romantic interest written in by CC. I'm guessing this is why they also wrote out the infamous boyfriend Scully had because it would have been strange having a "forced" chemistry with him compared to the natural chemistry shared with DD? (My opinion, correct me if I'm wrong?)
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)
ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby TruthIsOutThere » February 12th, 2014, 1:58 pm

From what I've read/heard, though there was never an intention to have M&S have anything beyond a "chaste" relationship, they realized early on that they needed to delete that scene with Scully's 'boyfriend' (Ethan), as it just wasn't working (and slowed down the story).

Maurisap wrote (on this thread):

The addition of Scully's boyfriend was an attempt by the Fox executives to create the love interest that they felt wasn't there between Mulder and Scully. Chris Carter ultimately found that it was "very easy" to remove the character from the episode, both because his appearances seemed to slow down the scenes in which Mulder and Scully are together and due to the fact that Carter found Scully's relationship with her FBI partner to actually be more interesting and exciting than her relationship with her boyfriend.
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby SkullGirl13 » March 12th, 2014, 12:00 am

Oh this was easy for me. I started shipping them after my first episode. I was introduced to this series with the episode Small Potatoes. I clicked onto the Space Chanel back in the day just in time to see the entire couch scene for that. With my inner romantic blooming at ten years old I fell in love with that relationship, and was supper disappointed when it turned out to be a shape shifter(later found out to me as Eddie VanBlunhut). All I remember seeing was them about to kiss, Mulder breaking down the door and looking shocked, and to me, heartbroken/betrayed. From that point I became obsessed with the show and cheered Mulder and Scully on like crazy.
SkullGirl13
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby TruthIsOutThere » March 17th, 2014, 3:01 pm

You started with an awesome episode, SkullGirl. Love "Small Potatoes". :-)

"The 'h' is silent!" ;)
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby barchick » February 9th, 2016, 8:49 am

I started shipping during Anasazi / Paperclip... I saw the change in the relationship following Redux I & II but didn't think of them as moving having moved into a relationship until Theef. But then, as Trust No 1 proved, I was wrong about them actually being in a relationship at all.
barchick

Postby Andrew80 » February 9th, 2016, 11:20 am

It was obvious they love each other from the season 1 and it was inevitable they ended up together. Still, I was a no-romo from beginning till end (well, until they actually started their relationship in season 7) because I wanted all that stuff off-screen. They love each other-granted. Their love is beautiful-granted. Now, let's get down to important business-solving the cases.

Of course, it was not to be. Starting from season 6, they increasingly put soap-opera elements into the plotlines. That's exactly why Diana Fowley was so boring-not because she prevented relationship or hurt Scully's feelings (as shippers claim) but because it was totally obvious that her ONLY PURPOSE was to delay the inevitable for another season. Even the cancer-arc was a bit suspicious from that point of view-we all knew Scully would (more or less) miraculously survive, so why bother? But at least that part of story (unlike Fowley and William) was justified in previous mythology.

I was against breaking them up in the revival for the exact same reason I was against romance in the original series-it diverts attention from cases, conspiracies and paranormal.

As for when exactly they fell in love-I'd say mid season 1. Scully was clearly jealous of Phoebe Green and Mulder was clearly jealous of that agent Scully had a relationship with before the X-Files.
Andrew80
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby lostinlove » February 9th, 2016, 1:19 pm

From the pilot, it was love at first sight for both of them, though they took a little longer than me to realise it!!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby SculderLover » June 6th, 2016, 3:58 pm

For me, I shipped them from episode one. Personally I think they were attracted to each other from the very beginning. I think Mulder knew deep down the minute Scully walked into his office he had found Mrs. Right. :)
hug]
SculderLover
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships