XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

The Relationship of Mulder and Scully

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

The Relationship of Mulder and Scully

Postby Killashandra » June 13th, 2010, 6:10 pm

I have some odd things I saved from th old forum that I'll me pasting over the next few days. If I remeber this was one of Dole's posts

I think you perfectly summarized the entirety of their relationship with this line: They have not two truths but two sides of the same reality. This, for me, has always been the essence of what made Mulder and Scully work so well. I suppose it's also why it irks me when I see movie critics calling their relationship 'on-again, off-again' or 'volatile,' or see a small handful of non-canon fans call their relationship 'failing' simply because they did not like having the relationship take on more of a focus in IWTB. To me, these classifications are not only incorrect but downright insulting to the extensive character development that they both underwent - and continue to undergo - together. Opposites attract but compliments last, and Mulder and Scully are each of these qualities. They are complimentary opposites in that they bring out the best in each other in ways no one else ever could, challenging the other's ways of thinking and, in doing so, encouraging the other to open their mind and look at all perspectives. Yet, when you strip away their opposite viewpoints, they really aren't that different at the core. They're both flawed individuals who are extremely independent and stubborn; they're both single-minded and passionate about what they believe the truth to be (Mulder in the paranormal, Scully in faith and science); they were both workaholics who chose to sacrifice their personal lives to their quest for the truth; and, as you so eloquently pointed out, they've shared similiar experiences with past relationships because of their inability to emotionally let anyone into their world. For Scully, her main defensive mechanism was to focus on her strength, refusing to show the slightest weakness. For Mulder, his main defensive mechanism was dedicating himself so obsessively to the paranormal, thus detaching himself from having to deal with the normal.

I also think how you broke down their past relationships is quite interesting and accurate. Phoebe Green and Diana Fowley are indeed cut from the same cloth - they are 'domineering' and, noticably, seemed to hold a superior mentality in alluding they didn't think he could manage without them. Likewise, Jack Willis and Daniel Waterston are cut from the same 'father figure' cloth, men who were in a position of authority over her with whom she could seek approval from. Incidentally, if you consider how Mulder and Scully were in the Pilot, they would fit these exact prototypes to each other. Scully was an emotionally unavailable woman to Mulder, assigned to be his antagonist and shut him down. Mulder was an authorative man to Scully, the senior agent of the X-Files division.

However, their first assignment together seemed to break these standing prototypes for them. In Mulder's hotel room, they defy the very nature of their characters to this point. Scully, the strong one, turns to Mulder when she is afraid she might have contracted the same bumps as the victims of their case. She bears all to him - literally in stripping down to her bra and underwear, and figuratively in showing vulnerability to him. She is putting her emotions out there for him to see. He, in turn, responds by revealing his deepest vulerability to her, telling her about Samantha and her abduction.

This, so early on, was the turning point. Instead of becoming enemies, which the FBI intended them to be, they are becoming connected on a much more personal level. She saw the man underneath the 'Spooky' nickname, and was geniunely fascinated by him. She knew that he had been on the fast track to a highly respectable career as the best analyst in Violent Crimes, but chose to leave it behind to pursue the road less traveled. This brazenness, this defiance, in itself must have appealed to her. Because of her need for approval, and how bothered she was not having her father's approval when she made her decision to join the FBI, she probably admired this quality in him. He is someone who simply didn't care if he had approval or not. She wanted to know what made him tick. There was just enough unexplainable about him to keep her wanting more, hoping to put reason to it. For Mulder's part, I think he was fascinated by her interest in him. It had him clearly taken aback initially, then left him wondering exactly why a scientist like her would care. He was trying to figure her out. He was unlike anyone she had ever met, and she was unlike anyone he had ever met.

This broke their previous molds. Suddenly, Mulder had someone who was associating closely with his quest. She cared more about him personally than anything she could get from him. Neither Green or Fowley were capable of expressing such intense devotion to him. And, suddenly, Scully had someone who didn't treat her as a subservient. He valued her as an equal, openly acknowledging that she made him a whole person. I highly doubt Waterston or Willis would have done this.

I saw their impulse resistence to this shift that was taking place in their one-night stands. After Scully's abduction, Mulder is left with the shocking realization of how affected he is by her absence. He risks his life to try and find her, and goes into a blind rage on Duane Barry from the thought of him hurting her. He turns to the dangerous Kristen to rebel against his feelings, the sense of loss he never wanted to endure again, only to tightly clutch Scully's cross necklace in his hand when this proves to be a disaster and does little to ease his pain. Scully, beginning to feel like Mulder's quest is her own, tries to rebel against how intertwined Mulder has become with her by turning to the dangerous Ed. Mulder's near confession of "yes, but it’s m --" caught her attention and, I think, her realization that their lives are merging. What happens to her happens to him, and vice versa.

Once these hurdles were cleared, I think it was a matter of nature versus the heart. By nature, like you pointed out, they viewed emotional vulnerability as a mistake. They've both been burned by it and, given their intimate friendship, were absolutely terrified of being burned by what was gradually deepening into love. Scully is the one person that Mulder cannot lose, and Mulder is the one person that Scully cannot lose. A rejection from the other would have been the greatest kind of pain. It was easier to skirt around their feelings than surrender to them and risk a broken heart. Yet, by the desire of the heart, they were continually drawn to each other like a moth to the flame. They were willing to risk their lives for each other, confide in each other, trust in each other above all else, fiercely fight for each other, and offer strength when the other was at their lowest.

The only real hurdle they truly had was themselves. They had been each other's "constant" and "one choice" all along, but they needed to do away with their old selves. They needed to finally free themselves of the fear holding them back.

Mulder's release came with 'The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati' and 'Closure.' In Amor Fati, he directly confronts his internal struggle. Diana Fowley represents everything that he used to be, and his dreamed life with her is the path that he could have taken. He could slow down and have a more normal, simple life. He could have someone who believes in the paranormal just like he does. But, he is not that person anymore. His time with Scully has caused him to grow, and through Scully helping him to realize what a lie it would be to deny who he has become, he realizes it is just as much of a lie to deny who has really had his heart. His words to her - "you help me," and the touchstone profession - are admissions of love without ever saying it. He is extremely open and tender. More importantly, she actually responds this time by returning the sentiment. It has become a love requited for him. Closure, like you pointed out, provides Mulder with the resolution to what had haunted him for so long. While Samantha's death will always be his inspiration to tread in the paranormal, he is finally free of his guilt. He knows the truth of what happened to her. He got the miracle he had been searching for, seeing her one last time and seeing that she is at peace. It lifts his burden from him. It allows him to dedicate himself fully to his relationship with Scully. He just has to wait for her to be ready.

Scully's release comes from 'Milagro' and 'all things.' We knew from Rain King that Mulder is the best friend who has become the only person she can imagine herself with, but Padgett's study of her outright declares it's impossible for her to fall in love when she's already in love. Observing how she interacts with Mulder, he discovers that he had misjudged her. She's unconsciously trying to get Mulder's attention. It becomes clear at the end of this episode that she already has it. All she had to do was reach out to him, and he holds her while she clings almost desperately to him. For once, she has initiated this contact. She found the courage to drop her guard and allow herself to be a woman seeking comfort instead of resisting it, and he responded to her by providing it. all things is then to Scully what Amor Fati was to Mulder. She is faced with who she used to be, the normal life she could have had if she didn't join the FBI. Daniel Waterson represents her former beliefs in how he rigidly regards science as the only answer, dismissing the alternative thinking that may have saved him. He used to be her like mind, but through her interactions with him, Scully can see she isn't this person anymore. She, too, has grown from knowing Mulder. The woman who told her sister that she didn't believe in fate is now questioning if fate has shaped her path, and the woman who hid behind a wall is at last ready to love and be loved. Everything had lead them to that defining moment.

So I flash-forward to IWTB. For me, this movie was a character study of the beliefs which subtly spanned the course of the show. Mulder and Scully left their quest behind them to create a home together and live a fairly low-key, normal life. But, because their quest was left so abruptly, there were aspects remaining unresolved. Each needed to undergo individual journeys to reinforce their overall journey. The Truth created an uncertainty for Mulder, a question of what to believe that he could only answer by looking back into the darkness he has known. Scully - afraid of losing Mulder to the darkness that forced them painfully apart in seasons 8 and 9, and afraid of causing her young patient to suffer because of a faith in God that she questions - needed to accept that denying their past was denying a big part of herself. As Mulder pointed out to her, he wasn't the one who had changed. She needed to look inside herself just as much as he did. Their sparring, more blunt now that they're a couple in love, reminded me of their sparring from the earlier seasons. It was still rational versus paranormal, but in a different context. I saw Mulder's "that's why we can't be together" as a direct challenge to her. Throughout the whole movie, she was the one who he wanted to work with. He missed being an investigating team with her like they used to be, and was hurt by her turning away. When she seemed to backtrack from what she said in the locker room, reaching out to him, he retaliated with this line to remind her of her words. He wanted her to come around, but understood she had to do so on her own and at her own pace. As it turns out, looking into the darkness allowed her to save Mulder and be there to witness the conclusion of the case. It also solidified the message she had once told him in Little Green Men: "don't give up." Don't give up on faith and, more importantly, don't give up on each other. They are strongest when they're together, and together they can overcome the darkness. And Mulder also found his answer in giving Scully the confidence to take a leap of faith and treat Christian at the end - she, not his quest, has become the most important thing to him. He's able to walk away from it and escape with her at the end. Like you said, they found solace and emotional completion by turning inwards to one another.

This natural and realistic progression through time is what makes theirs the most beautiful and profound love story I have ever seen.
Killashandra
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Re: The Relationship of Mulder and Scully

Postby Killashandra » June 13th, 2010, 6:12 pm

and this was Menagerie's reply

Oh, my above post reminds me of a poem I once wrote on this topic! I will post some small snippets of the poem here (the whole thing was deleated in the great forum purge but I have it saved on my computer)

Here are the snippets...from the verse I wrote called "Inversion"

"I want to see you both bound together
By something greater than
Your friendship and your own attraction
Your compassion for each other’s circumstances
I want to see you both bound together
By a truth that severs you from the bright lights and glory
Until you are the only participants and witnesses
In a love that neither one will admit
And a conspiracy that is knocking knocking knocking
On your door

That is why Mulder the faithful believer
Is an agnostic
A lion with betrayers and a lamb with those who mourn
And Scully the skeptic
Balances harm science with faith in God
And can allows the same passion that rages against injustice
To fill her eyes with tears
Aristotle once said
That no realistic character
Can be totally good or totally evil
If the story is to be real
I suppose the same goes for personalities
So too must we see
That these new characters
Are not mixed-up copies of the originals
Cold and faithless
Warm and faithful
Extracting and combining the softer and harder elements
To make them more even and yet always familiar
So that we will swallow them thoughtlessly
Because I will always compare them to a skewed reflection of
The sorrow
The compassion
The journey
The pain and the passion
Nine years of character development
And finally, the love they have fought for
Even though they are ultimately left only with
“Maybe there’s hope.”
The ghosts will always be standing behind them in the window
And I will never see them as original characters
Only as shadows of the people that they could be."

"I have never enjoyed the main
Pairing of a fandom
I root for the minor characters
The unpopular ones
The underdogs
Out of the spotlight
Restricted only to unspoken longing
For the few moments when they will both share the screen.
I am always mildly disgusted
By the blatant advertising of a relationship
Because it’s always the minor characters
Who are only allowed a kiss
The one brief instance
That they strive for all season
A concentration of the passion
That no one else cares to see.

And yet here I am
Drawn in by a re-run
Of one main character kissing another
In a dream sequence (a hallucination an apparition) on a boat
I sense his hesitation
All of the passion
He has been concentrating for six years
And for one brief moment he abandons his selfish insecurity
And his self control
To speak the truth
“So if we never meet again…”
And we know his intentions
Even though he continues to hide them
To protect both of them
To protect her tender heart
Love is always a sacrifice
You cannot copy someone else’s altar
Like taking pick-up lines from a well-worn book
You must make the journey alone
It must be your own blood on the stones
Your own heart
Your own story"

"Everyone knows
That any male/female combo
Or partnership with any tension on television
Will eventually burst
They will work through their emotional issues
They will find compassion and a truth in each other
Because it is not forbidden
To love someone who is not your partner.
Everyone knows
Because Mulder and Scully did it first

They will not have to wait
While the creators claim that
It will always be platonic
They will not have to wait
While friendship is tested and torn apart
While both of them die or are left for dead

For all of the racy fanfiction
That we all must admit to reading
The human soul longs for
Chastity
Purity
Commitment
And we have found it
And they have found it
Because we waited for them
To fall in love in spite of
The writers
The conspiracy
And
Each other

I suppose that we must blame the originals
For ruining the surprise
But for everyone else it is just a matter of time.

I am tired
So tired
Of trying to substitute for the original.
But everything else just scrapes the surface
And I will never catch
The subtle glance
The quavering expression
The tiny frown in the brow
The invisible lines of the soul
Nine years of everything
In another’s eyes."

-----------------------------------

There's more if you want to read it...I am not a particularly good poet and it is quite frankly a bit shameful for me to write poetry for a fictional phenomenon but really people do the same for classic and mythology, so...
Killashandra
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby maurisap » June 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Killa
I am SO glad you saved this! What a crime for this eloquent writing to have been lost. Thank you for posting!
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.
maurisap
Site Admin

Postby joancrow » June 14th, 2010, 10:49 am

Good post. Lot's of insight to the whole relationship in the series.
joancrow
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Postby MelissaLScully » June 22nd, 2010, 3:55 pm

This is fantastic. This topic reminds me of a research paper I did for my english class last smester on The X-Files.
We had to pick a topic that involved a sort of art-form and its impact on culture, so I used the X-Files as a cult TV show and focused on the reasons why it became a cult show.

To sum up my paper, I will simply put my conclusion paragraph here :]

Excerpt:
So, why is The X-Files a cult phenomenon? It all boils down to the underlying message of the show itself: life is about the journey, not the end result. As stated by Wooley, “On The X-Files, the importance of “the Truth” lies not in its promise of fixed and final answers, but in its ability to produce such relationships as Mulder and Scully’s” (43). In other words, as much as the fans wanted answers, and as much as the shippers wanted Mulder and Scully together, the show emphasized the search for such ends, not the ends themselves. The X-Files is not a show about two people finding the truth, it’s about the possibility of a deeper relationship forming through the mutual pursuit of the truth. This is what makes The X-Files so easily relatable, even to someone who was in third grade when they started watching the show (me), because everyone understands the journey through life, and we would all like to believe a relationship like Mulder and Scully’s can exist.
End Excerpt

The "Wooley" I referred to is an English Professor who wrote her own article on X-Files fandom (I referenced it for my own research). If anyone ever wants to see it I'm pretty sure I have a copy of it saved somewhere.

But Anyhow, I just wanted to point out how after all the reading I did for this paper I came to the same conclusion that I had in mind all along, that Mulder and Scully's onscreen chemistry is largely responsible for the show's success. Whether you supported the relationship or not (which I did, clearly) it was riveting to watch because it was so well developed.
"It's like looking in a mirror."
MelissaLScully
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby GillyDreamer78 » June 22nd, 2010, 6:17 pm

MelissaLScully, thank you so much for sharing that with us. This conclusion paragraph is great and everything you said is so so very true! And I would love to read the whole paper so feel free to share it with us! ;)
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Postby MelissaLScully » June 22nd, 2010, 11:06 pm

GillyDreamer78 wrote:MelissaLScully, thank you so much for sharing that with us. This conclusion paragraph is great and everything you said is so so very true! And I would love to read the whole paper so feel free to share it with us! ;)

Thank you very much :] It means a lot coming form another XF fan, as my teacher didn't particularly know too much about The X-Files. I will have to do a little bit of searching to find the Final draft of the paper, but when I do I will post it. I'll probably make a new topic for though because it is rather long.
MelissaLScully

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 4th, 2010, 1:26 am

MelissaLScully wrote:
GillyDreamer78 wrote:MelissaLScully, thank you so much for sharing that with us. This conclusion paragraph is great and everything you said is so so very true! And I would love to read the whole paper so feel free to share it with us! ;)

Thank you very much :] It means a lot coming form another XF fan, as my teacher didn't particularly know too much about The X-Files. I will have to do a little bit of searching to find the Final draft of the paper, but when I do I will post it. I'll probably make a new topic for though because it is rather long.

I would also be interested in reading your paper, interesting topic MelissaLScully, please share your final paper with us.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby Quest » July 4th, 2010, 7:38 am

What a wonderful discussion. You all have such great insights. I too would love to read the whole paper.

THE ANSWERS ARE THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THEM.
Quest
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber

Postby MelissaLScully » July 10th, 2010, 2:16 am

Thank you for the support ^^

I posted my paper up in the General Discussion forum, you can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=217
MelissaLScully

Postby Agent Spooky » September 30th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Killashandra wrote:So I flash-forward to IWTB. For me, this movie was a character study of the beliefs which subtly spanned the course of the show. Mulder and Scully left their quest behind them to create a home together and live a fairly low-key, normal life. But, because their quest was left so abruptly, there were aspects remaining unresolved. Each needed to undergo individual journeys to reinforce their overall journey. The Truth created an uncertainty for Mulder, a question of what to believe that he could only answer by looking back into the darkness he has known. Scully - afraid of losing Mulder to the darkness that forced them painfully apart in seasons 8 and 9, and afraid of causing her young patient to suffer because of a faith in God that she questions - needed to accept that denying their past was denying a big part of herself. As Mulder pointed out to her, he wasn't the one who had changed. She needed to look inside herself just as much as he did. Their sparring, more blunt now that they're a couple in love, reminded me of their sparring from the earlier seasons. It was still rational versus paranormal, but in a different context. I saw Mulder's "that's why we can't be together" as a direct challenge to her. Throughout the whole movie, she was the one who he wanted to work with. He missed being an investigating team with her like they used to be, and was hurt by her turning away. When she seemed to backtrack from what she said in the locker room, reaching out to him, he retaliated with this line to remind her of her words. He wanted her to come around, but understood she had to do so on her own and at her own pace. As it turns out, looking into the darkness allowed her to save Mulder and be there to witness the conclusion of the case. It also solidified the message she had once told him in Little Green Men: "don't give up." Don't give up on faith and, more importantly, don't give up on each other. They are strongest when they're together, and together they can overcome the darkness. And Mulder also found his answer in giving Scully the confidence to take a leap of faith and treat Christian at the end - she, not his quest, has become the most important thing to him. He's able to walk away from it and escape with her at the end. Like you said, they found solace and emotional completion by turning inwards to one another.

This natural and realistic progression through time is what makes theirs the most beautiful and profound love story I have ever seen.
[agree] Awesome, awesome post. I'd comment on more of it if I had the time to today... but what you said about IWTB and their relationship is pretty much how I viewed it as well. They've come a long, long way from where they were when they first met -- and I'm very proud of them :).
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby SpecialAgent88 » October 31st, 2010, 7:48 am

"Scully loves Mulder and Mulder loves Scully."

Chris Carter
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88

Postby ScullyIsMyHomegirl » December 22nd, 2010, 6:40 am

I think what's great about Scully and Mulder's relationship is that is relate-able on so many levels. The bicker like brother and sister or an old married couple. they seem to have adversarial views at work but always working to the same goal. And then it (very slowly) turns into a romatic relationship. IMHO i believe this starts in series 5!!
W.W.D.S.D - What Would Dana Scully Do??

Check out my fic UnChanged in the Romance section :)
ScullyIsMyHomegirl

Postby Agent Skulder » March 28th, 2011, 6:54 pm

Here's a quote from David Duchovny, date unknown. It sums up his view on this relationship:
""I do not think that Mulder trusts any one other than Scully. He s very solitary. She is the only one who takes him seriously. I don t know if they re in love. In a way, their relationship is deeper than that, because they cannot live without each other." -
source: http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/wri ... vny/57140/
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby CSM_Clone » March 31st, 2011, 12:48 pm

SpecialAgent88 wrote:
"Scully loves Mulder and Mulder loves Scully."

Chris Carter

Awwww this is my life motto, you know ...hehe
CSM_Clone
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber

Postby Agent Spooky » April 20th, 2011, 2:31 pm

I just found a nice article that talks about their relationship from the Early Show back in 08'.

link to it

It was informative.

A couple of quotes, one from Gillian and one from David:

"That relationship was so intimate for so many years," Anderson said. "The friendship and the camaraderie and the love that these people shared for each other goes beyond any paper they'll sign or any sex scene. It's so much deeper than all of that. They should just, you know, leave it alone."

Agreed there. Hinting is nice, but seeing a sex scene isn't needed. The character's relationship is more than that, they love and care about one another and that's the most important thing in any relationship. Any making out, would be welcome though ;).

"Like in life you have chemistry with people. You also have that as an actor, and you don't have any control over it as in life," Duchovny said. "We were lucky."

Definitely :).

Agent Spooky

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 4th, 2011, 8:14 am

Do you think Scully has thought about Mulder in a sexual way?

“I think there have been times when she has been completely charmed and touched by him. I don’t know if she’s ever actually imagined him naked.” - G.A. Rolling Stone Magazine
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby Agent Spooky » June 6th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Good find. And interesting answer by her too.

Ironic as well, considering how things turned out :lol.

Agent Spooky

Postby SureFineWhatever » December 2nd, 2011, 10:57 pm

I'm in the mindset right now that if Mulder had shown Scully early on in the series he was attracted to her, she totally would have gone for it. Early in the series Scully is sometimes flirty, overwhelmed and intrigued by Mulder's intelligence and reputation, and it's said that she thinks he is cute. If she wasn't into him even a little she never would have followed him to such great lengths in the beginning. I used to think it was a mutual progression, but now I think Scully was in love with Mulder from the beginning and it's kind of making me rethink their whole relationship. It makes me wonder if Mulder gradually started in fall in love with her because he know he had her. Does anyone else feel this way?
Mulder: Scully?
Scully: Yes?
Mulder: Marry me.
Scully: I was hoping for something a little more helpful.
SureFineWhatever

Postby SpecialAgent88 » December 3rd, 2011, 3:50 am

I tend to think that Mulder was the first to fall in love with Scully rather than the other way around. In the beginning I’m sure Scully was swept off her feet, not by romance, but by Mulder’s fascinating and brilliant mind. I’ve always felt that Scully had an initial high school sort of crush on Mulder, but that seemed to wear off because of the dangerous type of work that’s involved in being an FBI Agent. I think they started out really trusting each other, first as partners, then best friends. It would have been hard to start a romantic relationship because they were both workaholics and solving cases was their number one priority.

For Scully, she wanted to establish a career at the FBI and distinguish herself first and tended to get much more mature as the seasons progressed. I’ve always felt that she loved Mulder as friend, but didn’t FALL IN LOVE with him until sometime in season 5. I’m going to bring up Diana Fowley, as I’ve always felt she was the catalyst that made Scully realize her true feeling for Mulder. Scully’s worst nightmare at this point in the series was to lose Mulder romantically to another woman.

I truly didn’t think Scully realized just how Mulder felt about her until the hallway scene in Fight the Future, when Scully wants to leave him and Mulder spills his guts out to her about how much she means to him and can’t go on without her. In that hallway scene, you can see the love in Scully’s eyes as she realizes that Mulder needs and wants her and is so ready to kiss her.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SureFineWhatever » December 4th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I can definitely get the high school crush analogy. That makes more sense now that I think about it. She was more enamored by his reputation and passion in the beginning and by more season 3 it's a friendship/strong partnership for her. Which episode do you think Mulder fell in love with her? I think Memento Mori could be the start of Mulder feeling differently about Scully. The catalyst is he obviously does not want to loose her, and he the hospital hallway scene where Scully says she is going to fight for her life is when Mulder really falls for her.
Mulder: Scully?
Scully: Yes?
Mulder: Marry me.
Scully: I was hoping for something a little more helpful.
SureFineWhatever

Postby SpecialAgent88 » December 4th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I believe Mulder had very strong feelings for Scully as early as Duane Barry when she gets abducted because Mulder would give up everything for her, even the X Files. Mulder even goes as far as giving Skinner his resignation letter because he feels that he’s responsible for losing Scully and can’t continue without her. Mulder was upset at the fact that someone close to him is taken away, much like his sister. Mulder knew this early that Scully was someone that was special to him, maybe because Scully was the one person that understood and defended him against all others.

However, though we may all have our different opinions of exactly when Mulder FELL IN LOVE with Scully, I would totally agree with you that if I had to pick a moment that it’s the hallway scene in Memento Mori. The way Mulder looks into Scully’s eyes, I could feel just how much Scully means to him and it’s a look of being IN LOVE. The way Mulder holds Scully in that scene, you could feel that Scully means more to him than anything in the world, and I knew that he would never leave her and continue to support and be there for her and risk his own life to find a cure.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 2nd, 2012, 10:19 pm

“…I don’t think of love as some kind of greeting card sentiment. Love has to be fierce. It has to be strong. It has to be worthy of being tested and endure in battle. It’s not this flowery, limp kind of thing that so many people imagine it to be. If it’s going to stand up to all the forces that are arrayed against it, it takes a lot of strength and courage. And I think that’s what Mulder and Scully had.”

— Frank Spotnitz (via yousavedtheworldscully)
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » May 3rd, 2012, 2:42 am

Well said, Frank!

I first read this quote from, "Ulysses" by Alfred LordTennyson, in a fabulous fanfiction story by one of my all-time favourite authors, RivkaT, in the extended and completed version of her story, "Folly," which she kindly sent to me a few years ago. Anyway, since first reading it, I have fallen in love with this quote as a reference to Mulder and Scully. Here it is:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 3rd, 2012, 8:55 pm

The quote is a wonderful reference to Mulder and Scully, thanks for sharing LondonLady
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » May 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm

You are very welcome, SA88. I just think that the quote fits our beloved Mulder and Scully so well. I especially love,

"Tho' much is taken, much abides;"

and,

"strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Mulder and Scully forever! LOL :sun
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
LondonLady

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 28th, 2012, 8:31 am

ImageImage

perfectopposite - Tumblr

The Blessing Way

Mulder: “I have been on the bridge that spans two worlds. The link between all souls by which we cross into our own true nature. You were here today looking for a truth that was taken from you, a truth which was never to be spoken, but which now binds us together in dangerous purpose. I’ve returned from the dead to continue with you, but I fear that this danger is now close at hand, and I may be too late.”

SA88
Mulder and Scully have such a strong connection that Scully learns from this dream that Mulder is still alive and that he will return to her.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » May 28th, 2012, 9:53 am

I completely agree, SA88. I know that we can have prophetic dreams about loved ones, and dreams telling us what we really need to know about them. It has happened to me on several occasions, and I'm certain that other people have had similar experiences.

"The link between all souls by which we cross into our own true nature."

Wow. This seems very religious to me. As a Christian, this quote indicates to me that Mulder, and maybe even Chris Carter, believes that as human beings, our true nature is not actually in this earthly life but in the next life. It is very interesting that Mulder, an avowed atheist, would say this quote.
LondonLady

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships