SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division
SpecialAgent88

M&S attracted to each other from the Beginning?

Postby SpecialAgent88 » October 2nd, 2010, 1:29 am

I’ve always felt that Scully had a big high school crush on Mulder from the very beginning, maybe as early as the Pilot episode. Scully is just so fascinated with how brilliant Mulder is and wants to really get to understand how his mind works. To me, Scully’s major attraction to Mulder was his beautiful mind and sensitive heart. Mulder had an exceptional ability to solve crimes and could be considered a genius and was very gentle and sensitive towards people he trusted. These personality traits made Mulders personality very special in Scully's eyes.

I thought it took Mulder a little more time to really get to know Scully before really trusting her, but I can see very early in the series that he was very attracted to her. Scully is very rigid, analytical and scientific and challenged each of Mulder’s outrageous theories, but Mulder learned to respect Scully’s directness, rigid opinions and work ethic. Mulder knew Scully was sent initially to spy on him, but in a very short time, Mulder determined that Scully might enjoy their journey to find the truth.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.

scully_hair
Darin Oswald, Electricity
scully_hair

Re: M&S attracted to each other from the Beginning?

Postby scully_hair » October 3rd, 2010, 5:31 pm

Dana Doggett wrote: I think for him any first attraction was probably intellectual attraction.

Absolutely. She was clearly his intellectual equal and that's one of the most important characteristics he looks for in a woman imo.Then came platonic fondness which grew into something more rather quickly I'd say (certainly before Scully's cancer imo). I mean, that electrifying chemistry was bursting with UST very early on. But I guess he felt that he would be betraying his sister in a way, if he let Scully into his life and let go of his search for truth a little. I think that Scully understood that and therefore decided to be a good friend rather than taking the relationship to another level.

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » October 31st, 2010, 7:51 pm

Of course! But not attracted enough to act on it. I think they were well aware of the boundaries that were set by them being partners and knew that they couldn't move beyond "he/she is so good-looking."
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Salome
Salome

Postby Salome » November 9th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:I'm not sure that Scully understood that Mulder was interested in her as more than a friend until much later (I'm thinking season 6 or 7), so IMO it was Mulder who held back his feelings for her until she was ready and he knew that she loved him too. I think Mulder sat back and waited for her to catch up to where he was in terms of feelings for each other.

In total agreement!!

M&S is one of the sweetest romances ever on TV for precisely the reasons everyone has already mentioned. I think they were attracted to each other intellectually and emotionally long before they had any actual romantic feelings. Let's just say I think the audience was all aboard the Good Ship a few seasons ahead of the characters. M&S took a while to recognize their own feelings. But they were so awesome together, you had to root for them!

TV today should take a lesson. M&S was *more* romantic because it was innocent. Not that they weren't attracted to each other, but the chicken came before the egg and that wasn't what began or drove their relationship. Putting characters in bed together every other episode doesn't make it hot. ;) Case in point, remember that scene in bed in Requiem? Would it have been as moving if Mulder had made the moves on Scully? Instead he just cherished her for a minute, without any ulterior motive. That's powerful stuff.

Salome
Salome

Postby Salome » November 9th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I'm with you on the fake UST. I think part of the problem is that M&S seemed like a happy accident. David and Gillian just had it like that. These new shows are trying way too hard to create for the audience what has to feel natural. The ever elusive potential was a large part of M&S' appeal, these youngins nowadays are just way too obvious in their lust.

Salome
Salome

Postby Salome » November 9th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Exactly! Mulder and Scully worked because they didn't try too hard. We as the audience were more passionate about their love lives than the characters were, and that's as it should be. They keep trying to recreate that same tension in new shows but they fail because they make UST the point of the relationship rather than the byproduct of a natural evolution. CC clearly wasn't aiming for, in fact, he was avoiding M&S. Consequently, the tension between the characters happened organically, unscripted. The same way in real life friends find love where they least expected it.

To be fair, the whole culture of TV is different now. The X-Files had the luxury of becoming a major player on TV over the course of several season, so the characters' relationships and the mytharc matured gradually along with the show. Now, if you aren't a success right out of the gate, you're canceled. So writers/producers/execs aren't taking the risk that the audience will follow along patiently. They dangle an over-sized carrot and say, "Watch us and we'll give you a hot and heavy relationship you can live vicariously through!" :?

JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.
JeSouhaite

Postby JeSouhaite » November 10th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Dana Doggett wrote:
Salome wrote:I'm with you on the fake UST. I think part of the problem is that M&S seemed like a happy accident. David and Gillian just had it like that. These new shows are trying way too hard to create for the audience what has to feel natural. The ever elusive potential was a large part of M&S' appeal, these youngins nowadays are just way too obvious in their lust.

And nothing bothers me more, and pushes me away more (from TV shows) than forcing something like a romantic relatsionship on me as a viewer. If I don't feel that the UST is sincere, I don't buy it and will not support it. I hate how it feels like the writers and actors are trying so hard to create that UST chemistry. That's not something that you can write. That's not something that you can necessarily act out. Therefore it's just not sincere. It's fake and forced, and that does not work.

You guys are so right on this. I can't stand shows that attempt and re-creating the brilliant UST that existed in the X Files.

As far as M&S being attracted to each other from the beginning... From the real beginning in Season 1... I think not. Why? Well, because Scully was there to de-bunk Mulder. I think she'd really try to honor that mission for some period of time. Then later, she realized that Mulder had honest aims at getting to the truth. Inevitably, people working together are going to admire one another. I think this definitely happens. But the actual "attraction" between the two... hmm... rats, I'm not sure. Let me think about it some more.
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123

lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
lostinlove

Postby lostinlove » July 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am

Accept no imitations! hug]
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing

LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director
LondonLady

Postby LondonLady » September 5th, 2012, 12:37 am

I agree with you, JeSou, that Scully initially simply did the job that she was designed to do. However, as she grew to know Mulder as a person, not just an assignment, she saw how much integrity he has, and she grew to respect and admire him. These feelings gradually deepened into loving him. I don't know when she realised that she was actually in love with him, but this might be seen as a natural progression from the other feelings that she had for him, compounded by the fact that he is a very attractive, intelligent, single, and available man.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012