maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

One of the Greatest Romances -- MSR

Postby maurisap » November 7th, 2010, 11:25 am

Over and over we read that Mulder and Scully are one of the great romances on television. And I agree, but what made it that way?
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control
GillyDreamer78

Re: One of the Greatest Romances -- MSR

Postby GillyDreamer78 » November 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm

MSR was one of the greatest romances of all time and it always will be even if they didn't have any romantic scenes together wich I don't agree but I won't go into that. So yes, MSR is one of the greatest romances of all time! hug]

SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 7th, 2010, 12:54 pm

The Mulder and Scully romance may not have been typical, but was first and foremost a romance of the mind. Mulder and Scully started as partners, then friends and finally lovers, their physical union came after their mental connection was firmly established. hug]
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » November 7th, 2010, 12:59 pm

I think for me, it comes down to their deep friendship, their dedication to each other, and extreme loyalty.

The writers made characters that are utterly human...they bicker, they feel jealousy, they do the wrong thing, they show selfishness. But then, these same characters display a deep abiding love for each other that is amazing. In the face of paranoia, conspiracy, and all the hurtful acts in the episodes, they were loyal to each other.

I think that is maybe what fans loved the most...that M&S relied on each other and KNEW that they could depend on each other. Not many people have that in these times. And with a romantic society, it was natural for people to want them together in a romantic way.

But I submit that the romance came because of the friendship. Towards the end of season four, I began to ship M&S. Why? It didn't make sense for them to be apart any more.Despite their humanness, they were a unit, inseparable.

Sure, Mulder shows some self-centered qualities and is driven to find "The Truth."

And Scully has a bit of a wild side and is skeptical to the ridiculous extreme.

But along the way, Scully became Mulder's light in the darkness and Mulder became Scully's rock. Even if they didn't start off perfect for each other, each is now the other's perfect half.
I've seen life on this planet Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Lish31
Rob Roberts, Food Service
Lish31

Postby Lish31 » November 7th, 2010, 1:10 pm

I think it is a great romance only if we use the word "romance" in more of a medieval sense and not in a Danielle Steel kind of way.

Modern usage of term "romance" usually refer to the romance novel, which is a subgenre that focuses on the relationship and romantic love between two people; these novels must have an "emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending."[27] Despite the popularity of this popular meaning of Romance, other works are still, occasionally, referred to as romances because of their uses of other elements descended from the medieval romance, or from the Romantic movement: larger-than-life heroes and heroines, drama and adventure, marvels that may become fantastic, themes of honor and loyalty, or fairy-tale-like stories and story settings.

I never wanted to see Mulder and Scully in a lovey-dovey kind of way because, for me, it cheapened things. I think that modern labels of romance seem shallow or trivial compared to the kind of relationship that Mulder and Scully really share.

@ SA88, [agree]

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 7th, 2010, 1:36 pm

I see their romantic side of their relationship as the end result of their close mental connection they share with each other. I don't see Mulder and Scully reducing their romance to just a sexual relationship, but a whole lot more, they are each other’s best friend before lovers. They disagree and have heated arguments and banter with each other, which strengthens any relationship, but they are each other’s constant and perfect other and I don’t see anything coming between their special connections they have for each other.
Last edited by SpecialAgent88 on December 24th, 2010, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » November 7th, 2010, 3:20 pm

I agree with maurisap, completely!! hug]

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 7th, 2010, 7:01 pm

For me, the X Files has always been a romance. Mulder and Scully had an intellectual romance that’s very rare and restrained compared to so many relationships on T V. I think that’s what appealed to most Fans. Chris Carter
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 8th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Mulder and Scully are the heart and soul of the X Files; they are the characters that Chris Carter created, but it was the characters themselves that created the romance, not the creator. And we as fans continued to be fascinated and continued to follow their journey.

The chemistry between David and Gillian is what brought the characters to life and fans loved them, faults and all, which helped solidify just how intense of a bond Mulder and Scully have because both characters are not perfect. No matter how many other characters came into their lives or their lives changed or disagreements they encounter, their relationship endured. Mulder and Scully are deeply connected both spiritually and mentally and are together because their relationship is like no other; it’s exciting and magical and challenging all rolled into one; and Mulder and Scully would not have it any other way.

And to be very honest, neither would I………….
Made by Gillyinfatuation

scully_hair
Darin Oswald, Electricity
scully_hair

Postby scully_hair » November 10th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Dana Doggett wrote: I shake my head in disappointment that he did end up ruining it/threatening it when he chose to put them together in a boyfriend/girlfriend type relationship. Mulder and Scully deserved better treatment than that, they deserved so much more than what Carter created for them.

Now I'm depressed.

I'm actually glad they hooked up at the end because frankly, the cerebral nature of their relationship had lost its novelty by the end of season 5. Their intellectual bond and the UST was a lot of fun in the beginning, but it got really old during the later years, so having them become a couple felt new and fresh and exciting.

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » November 13th, 2010, 9:53 pm

scully_hair wrote: the cerebral nature of their relationship

Lol scully_hair -- is that the same thing as "forehead sex"?

scully_hair
scully_hair

Postby scully_hair » November 14th, 2010, 5:19 am

LOL :lol: :lol:

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 18th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I enjoy the Mulder and Scully Relationship because I found it to be a very caring, respectful, and intelligent relationship. Mulder and Scully have grown together and their relationship is very deep. I tend to see Mulder as a loner and focused on his obsessions. I thought very early in their partnership, Mulder’s respect and love for Scully really started to take priority over his quest for the truth. Mulder would sacrifice anything for Scully; and would give up the X Files for her. Mulder was a loner, but Scully was becoming the most important person in his life. Now I saw the same reaction from Scully, because Scully saw Mulder as a brilliant FBI Agent that was charming, charismatic and had the mind of a genius and Scully being a scientist wanted to find out what made Mulder tick, which eventually lead them to become best friends and lovers.

I’ve always felt that Mulder and Scully have such an intense devotion to each other; they balance and complement each others strengths and weaknesses. Their determination to stay together in spite of the odds, when Mulder gets abducted and then leaves to protect Scully and William spoke volumes of their strong bond and love and the sacrifices they made to stay together. The odds were stacked against them, but they managed to work through all these obstacles and still be together, they forged such a strong bond; that it would be impossible to tear them apart. These are some the reasons that I love the Mulder and Scully relationship and the reason I’m a shipper.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist
MartinaBC

Postby MartinaBC » November 29th, 2010, 7:42 am

SpecialAgent88 wrote:Mulder and Scully are the heart and soul of the X Files; they are the characters that Chris Carter created, but it was the characters themselves that created the romance, not the creator. And we as fans continued to be fascinated and continued to follow their journey.

The chemistry between David and Gillian is what brought the characters to life and fans loved them, faults and all, which helped solidify just how intense of a bond Mulder and Scully have because both characters are not perfect. No matter how many other characters came into their lives or their lives changed or disagreements they encounter, their relationship endured. Mulder and Scully are deeply connected both spiritually and mentally and are together because their relationship is like no other; it’s exciting and magical and challenging all rolled into one; and Mulder and Scully would not have it any other way.

And to be very honest, neither would I………….

Perfectly described and said! I 100 % agree with you! :)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hands"
( from The X Files, Episode "Amor Fati")

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » December 21st, 2010, 10:14 pm

On my gloomiest day, the romance between M&S can put a smile on my face and warm me inside.

ScullyIsMyHomegirl
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
ScullyIsMyHomegirl

Postby ScullyIsMyHomegirl » December 22nd, 2010, 9:29 pm

maurisap wrote:On my gloomiest day, the romance between M&S can put a smile on my face and warm me inside.

[agree] [agree] also i think there relationship is relateable on so many different levels and plus watching a good shipper vid or reading shipper fic (providing its in charachter puts a smile on my face)!!
W.W.D.S.D - What Would Dana Scully Do??

Check out my fic UnChanged in the Romance section :)

Salome
Salome

Postby Salome » December 22nd, 2010, 9:50 pm

Hear hear, Maurisa! [agree] bravo]

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » December 23rd, 2010, 8:02 pm

Some of those MSR videos are so good that they just put a great big smile on my face and I agree with you Maurisa. hug]
Made by Gillyinfatuation

the host
the host
Ed Jerse, Skin Care
the host

Postby the host » December 24th, 2010, 6:05 pm

I think that what made MSR so special, appart from all you've already said, was it's subtlety (I don't know if it is the correct word). I mean, there weren't compromised or forced scenes between Mulder and Scully like trying to show their attraction or love. There are many shows with a man and a woman as the main characters (like Bones, Castle...) which have the need to create scenes were both characters are found in an embarrassing situation, like when they're too close to each other and there's an uncomfortable silence as if they were going to kiss. Those kind of situations that make it obvious that they attract each other. And they use it from the beginning of the series. In TXF it was not necessary. Yes, we had that almost kiss in FTF, but it was after the 5th season, when it was already obvious that they attracted each other (or if you want in season 4 in small potatoes, with Eddie as Mulder). Most of the shows go to the easy thing, showing from the beginning that the characters are secretly in love, making us believe that they hold it until the end, and creating what I think it's a fake UST. Between Mulder and Scully it just happened, as something natural, it was there. It was all like...magic.

Mmmmm...I don't know if I made myself clear. I'm sorry. It's hard for me to express my thoughts in english. Hope you understood something... :lol:

PS: No offense to bones and castle fans. I like and follow those shows. But sometimes I feel like they're trying to recreate the UST between Mulder and Scully and they don't know how to do it! It's not the same. Cute, but not the same.

JeSouhaite
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.
JeSouhaite

Postby JeSouhaite » December 24th, 2010, 7:44 pm

"Subtle" is a perfect way to describe their relationship, host.
[agree]
-JX

Check out the XFilesUniverse FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/XFiles-Universe/147454255287123

maurisap
Site Admin
maurisap

Postby maurisap » December 25th, 2010, 12:01 am

I agree. It was like the viewer had 5 years to watch love grow.

ScullyIsMyHomegirl
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer
ScullyIsMyHomegirl

Postby ScullyIsMyHomegirl » December 26th, 2010, 1:06 pm

@ the host [agree] i think they tried to do the same thing in Torchwood with Gwen and jack but it really did not work. It either felt awkward or completely unsubtle.

Some of the credit should go to Gillian and David's fab acting skills and the fact they played off each other so well.
W.W.D.S.D - What Would Dana Scully Do??

Check out my fic UnChanged in the Romance section :)

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » January 3rd, 2011, 9:58 am

I didn't find the "Memento mori" kiss on the lips, if I had I would have included it here and I didn't add the "Post Modern Prometheus" kiss because we are still not sure if it is a manip or a blooper kiss.

Gillyinfatuation
Cassandra Spender, Hybrid Liason
Gillyinfatuation

Postby Gillyinfatuation » January 3rd, 2011, 1:51 pm

Beautiful pics DG.
I think part of the reason they had such a wonder romance is mainly because of the trust they had between each other. Not to mention everything they have been through and seen together.
“If you do that one more time, YOU’RE GOING TO LOSE A FINGER!!”
gillyinfatuation.tumblr.com

Salome
Salome

Postby Salome » January 3rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

the host wrote:I mean, there weren't compromised or forced scenes between Mulder and Scully like trying to show their attraction or love. There are many shows with a man and a woman as the main characters (like Bones, Castle...) which have the need to create scenes were both characters are found in an embarrassing situation, like when they're too close to each other and there's an uncomfortable silence as if they were going to kiss. Those kind of situations that make it obvious that they attract each other. And they use it from the beginning of the series. In TXF it was not necessary.... But sometimes I feel like they're trying to recreate the UST between Mulder and Scully and they don't know how to do it! It's not the same. Cute, but not the same.

Right on!! I feel the exact same way. [agree]

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » January 30th, 2011, 9:17 am

I found a screencap of the " Memento Mori" kiss on the lips. It's not good but you can still see it. So here are all the kisses Mulder and Scully shared, you can see the rest of them in my last post above! hug]

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » January 30th, 2011, 10:06 am

Such a sweet photo of Mulder and Scully, I'm so glad you found it and can share with us,thanks GD78
Made by Gillyinfatuation

CSM_Clone
CSM_Clone
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber
CSM_Clone

Postby CSM_Clone » February 6th, 2011, 6:38 am

thank] the pics GD :)
I don't know if it's just me. They are only still images but I can feel their love and tenderness radiate.
I once asked a friend (non-Phile friend) if she could feel it too. She said she didn't feel a thing.

Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support
Agent Skulder

Postby Agent Skulder » February 11th, 2011, 12:10 am

CSM - Maybe part of the reason your non-Phile friend can't feel what we do is even thou we're looking at an image, we know the back story and may subconsciously remember how we felt when watching the actual video.... Just a thought. I see the screen grab like the rest of us, but I can remember the context, which helps me conjure up the original emotions I felt...
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013

Quest
Eddie Van Blundht, Plumber
Quest

Postby Quest » February 11th, 2011, 5:23 am

OHHH GillyDreamer..do you actually have a picture of the Post Modern kiss? I would love to see it, even though we aren't sure if it's real or not. I've never actually seen it before.

THE ANSWERS ARE THERE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THEM.

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » February 11th, 2011, 8:21 am

For you Quest! But I'm sure you've seen these. Some people say it's a manip and some say it's not. The rumor is that there was a video on YouTube some time ago and Frank said that the kiss was not scripted but David and Gilly wanted to do a take with a kiss. Well, here is what he said, I'm sure you remember we discussed this.

The kiss was not scripted, but David and Gillian wanted to do a take with a kiss, so it was filmed. I honestly don’t know whether 20th Television has saved all the unused footage from the television series.

Later I read that Frank was talking about "Memento Mori" kiss and not PMP kiss, that he got confuesed. So we still don't know if PMP kiss really exists. Some people swear they had seen it on YouTube years ago. OK, here are the pics:

And from a different perspective:

SpecialAgent88
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » February 11th, 2011, 9:09 am

Wow these are a couple of very nice Mulder and Scully kissing photos, and it does look very real and it would be such a perfect moment for them to kiss. Thanks GD78
Made by Gillyinfatuation

dreamy
dreamy
Blane Faulkner, Wannabe Abductee
dreamy

Postby dreamy » February 11th, 2011, 11:44 am

I've heard about that kiss, too. But I also have heard that these pictures are manips. Maybe the second is manipulation but the first looks so real. Thank you for sharing!

P.S. I wonder, if someone has seen such a video on YT, why it doesn't exist now?

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » February 11th, 2011, 11:47 am

davidandgillianfan wrote:P.S. I wonder, if someone has seen such a video on YT, why it doesn't exist now?

They removed it, FOX probably.

dreamy
dreamy
Blane Faulkner, Wannabe Abductee
dreamy

Postby dreamy » February 11th, 2011, 12:09 pm

GillyDreamer78 wrote:They removed it, FOX probably.

I see, thank you. It's a pity...

sarahp87
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
sarahp87

Postby sarahp87 » February 12th, 2011, 4:51 pm

GillyDreamer78 wrote:For you Quest! But I'm sure you've seen these. Some people say it's a manip and some say it's not. The rumor is that there was a video on YouTube some time ago and Frank said that the kiss was not scripted but David and Gilly wanted to do a take with a kiss. Well, here is what he said, I'm sure you remember we discussed this.

The kiss was not scripted, but David and Gillian wanted to do a take with a kiss, so it was filmed. I honestly don’t know whether 20th Television has saved all the unused footage from the television series.

Later I read that Frank was talking about "Memento Mori" kiss and not PMP kiss, that he got confuesed. So we still don't know if PMP kiss really exists. Some people swear they had seen it on YouTube years ago. OK, here are the pics:

And from a different perspective:

I have always hoped this is real.. but the two different perspectives.... sorry but its the same image just flipped horizontally... look at the backgrounds, their identical just mirrored ;)
Sarah
http://xfscully.wordpress.com - My X-Files Blog

"What is the point of all of this? To destroy a man who seeks the truth? Or to destroy the truth so no man can seek it?"

GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78
GillyDreamer78

Postby GillyDreamer78 » February 12th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Sarahp87, i know it's the same image but the first one looks kind of real to me, better quality!

sarahp87
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator
sarahp87

Postby sarahp87 » February 13th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Ahhh ok.

Yeah i see what you mean, it looks more plausible.

I guess we will never know if it was real or not. :(
Sarah
http://xfscully.wordpress.com - My X-Files Blog

"What is the point of all of this? To destroy a man who seeks the truth? Or to destroy the truth so no man can seek it?"

LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director
LondonLady

Postby LondonLady » September 5th, 2012, 12:41 am

Whether it's manipulated or not, it's still a beautiful picture. :day
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012