XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

David Duchovny in "Goats"

Moderator: ItsOutThere

Re: David Duchovny in "Goats"

Postby LondonLady » August 10th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Thanks for the link, Agent Skulder. The film sounds strange but interesting. I'll see if I can catch it locally before it disappears.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby Agent Skulder » August 11th, 2012, 12:01 am

As of Aug 10: available via
- On Demand (based on Carrier)
- iTunes

More info / reviews:

http://community.idealistshaven.com/for ... y.php?f=30
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » August 14th, 2012, 11:24 am

Background & release notes...

Aug 9, 2012

From conception to being “in the can,” Goats took 10 years to make. Director Christopher Neil optioned the material from Mark Poirier and worked with the author to adapt the script. Producer Daniela Taplin Lundberg first saw the script through Oliver Stone producer Eric Kopeloff while she was at Plum Pictures and tried to find financing. Eventually she formed Red Crown Productions and decided to make Goats her company’s first project. “We brought it to David Duchovny who loved the character of the Goat man and said it was like something he hadn’t done before,” Lundberg said. The film concerns a freshman who leaves his Tucson home for his freshman year at an East Coast prep school, leaving behind his New Age mother and the man he knows as his father, the Goat Man.

While in pre-production in 2010 the project’s largest financier pulled out. “That was gut-wrenching,” said Lundberg. “But in early 2011 we got the financing together” (about $3.5 million).

“As challenging and difficult it was to get it all together, it was honestly one of the best production experiences I’ve had,” Lundberg said. “I’ve done 20 films. The cast came together and there were no egos on this.” Following a long editing process, production finished in late fall. “Sundance was the best place to premiere.”

Image will open Goats in New York, Los Angeles, Tucson, Phoenix and Dallas this weekend [Aug 10, 2012] with additional cities to follow.

http://deadline.com/2012/08/movies-coming-out-2-days-in-new-york-goats-meet-the-fokkens-red-hook-summer/
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » August 16th, 2012, 1:08 am

Agent Skulder wrote:As of Aug 10: available via
- On Demand (based on Carrier)

Yes, I was surprised to see an advert on Dish last weekend, advertising that "Goats" is available on a DIsh Cinema pay-per-view channel. It only costs $4.99, as opposed to approximately $8 in the cinema. I have to assume that the producers of "Goats" will receive revenue from Dish and other satellite and cable TV providers, and not just from cinema ticket sales. I, for one, will now watch the film from the comfort of my own home, rather than trying to find it in a local cinema.
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » August 16th, 2012, 1:52 am

Apparently Dish has a better rate than Comcast which is charging $6.99 at least in the mid-Atlantic states.

Since this is an Indie Film it's very possible SHO or other premium stations will offer it around the end of the year. I think that the more people who see it, the more buzz will build which can only help DVD sales in the end. Films like this that are character driven seem to do better on smaller screens anyway.

Even the social media are slow in getting started. The Facebook page didn't cross the 500 Likes mark until after the movie opened, so we may see this pick up steam as summer turns into fall...
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » August 20th, 2012, 11:51 pm

I hope that it gains more publicity. I wonder how long it will be on Dish Cinema. They need to show it for long enough for people to have a chance to watch it and then tell others to do the same. :-)
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » August 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm

More write up than review. Cute. Clever even....

http://blog.sundancenow.com/on-the-couc ... ouch-goats
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » August 30th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Funny review. It reminds me of when I really, really wanted a sheep for some reason!
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » September 10th, 2012, 11:51 am

DVD drops TUES Sept 11

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » September 11th, 2012, 3:27 pm

To coincide with today's DVD release, Goats is now offered via NETFLIX....

Let the stampede begin... A little goat humor
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » September 14th, 2012, 3:02 am

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » September 18th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Posted to Facebook Sept 12; posted to YouTube Aug 30, 2012

Check out Academy Conversations with the director, cinematographer and producer of Goats :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcv84jrL_pc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » September 21st, 2012, 11:06 pm

Thanks for posting the video clip, Agent Skulder. :)
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » September 26th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Featurette - Posted Sept 21 2012.... Vid sourced via Goats on Twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3hMW3z0cVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » September 27th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » September 28th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Featurette re what drew the cast to the film, posted to YT Sept 21 2012

http://t.co/lzVnYjYT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxgYkOZE ... ata_player
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » October 2nd, 2012, 12:03 am

Thanks fo posting the video-clips, Agent Skulder. :-)

"You still have me." LOL :)
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » October 6th, 2012, 12:02 pm

SEPT 30, 2012 REVIEW
From Tumblr (by a user, not affiliated with a publication, who apparently prefers goats to weed...)

Despite a decent cast (David Duchovny with a beard and Vera Farmiga), good cinematography, a great “indie” score (Coconut Records at the end, for example), and the addition of goats throughout, this was just another rehashed “dysfunctional family” story that didn’t go anywhere. Very little character development, very little story flow, and too much stuffed into ninety minutes to the point that they didn’t really know what to do with all of it other than introduce it. None of the characters, with the exception of the cliche intellectual youth, were likable, and the usual situation of such a character sandwiched between two vaguely wealthy, inattentive, separated parents was a totally predictable bore. The pseudo-feel-good ending that was rushed through in about ten minutes flat was substanceless and I’m growing quite tired of these kinds of films coming out every month. No real story, just a series of provocative events and indie Hollywood cliches that are never fully formed, and not even a moral or conjoining theme to at least lazily try to successfully weave the stories together. It’s no surprise this and several other films of the same exact formula keep being released with “from the producers of The Kids Are Alright” at the top of the poster. What made this even worse was its incessant celebration or weed.

http://headandstomachache.tumblr.com/post/32587383325
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » October 11th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:What made this even worse was its incessant celebration of weed.

Here, here! iagree In my opinion, smoking marijuana should certainly not be celebrated. The substance is very damaging to one's physical health, and mental health as well.

Hmmm. This review suggests that "Goats" is rubbish. Maybe I won't pay to watch it on Dish Cinema after all. It will be on another film channel soon enough, for free; probably by next year, actually.
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » October 11th, 2012, 11:07 pm

One thought about the last reviewer who "... suggests that "Goats" is rubbish."

On any blog - especially Tumblr where each blog is really just a private version of our threads here - it's sometimes informative to discover something about the blogger which we can do if they provide an "about me" on their blog Home Page.

In this instance the blogger is only in his mid 20's and was a self described malcontent. I say "was" - because in trying to re-open his home page from the blog which I originally sourced, the entire blog seems to have disappeared.

As with any review, it's sometimes helpful to take each one with a grain of salt and weigh it against reviews from true (non professional) fans of the actors. "DD Fan Reviewers" on different sites seemed pleased with his performance, but agree that the film itself is a bit offbeat as Indie Films often are. So waiting for the film to make it to an all inclusive channel may not be a bad idea...
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » October 29th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:...So waiting for the film to make it to an all inclusive channel may not be a bad idea...

Yes; as I said, I think that that is what I'll do. You are correct that different bloggers and critics will have different opinions. However, I don't think that anybody is saying that this film is a brilliant masterpiece. Therefore, I think that I'll wait until I can watch it on a non-pay-per-view channel. :-)
LondonLady

Postby Shipperatheart » March 5th, 2013, 12:23 am

I'm interested to see this one.
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Skulder » April 14th, 2013, 11:51 am

DVD Reviews still trickle in via Twitter. "Why do they matter?" Because they're unsolicited...

Rio Youers @Rio_Youers

Watched GOATS last night with David Duchovny. It was sweet, funny and intelligent. I liked it a lot.
9:03 a.m. ET Sun, Apr 14
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Previous

Return to David Duchovny