XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

David Duchovny in "Goats"

Moderator: ItsOutThere

David Duchovny in "Goats"

Postby Agent Skulder » January 13th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Seems Duchovny begins FILMING a new film Feb 2011 - GOATS- no info re a release date yet.

I found this article (looking for other DD news) in VARIETY (note this site as another resource.) I'll include the link at the end but from mobile at least, I had to REGISTER to see the article longer than 5 seconds. That's why the whole (short at least) article is pasted.

(I pulled a Mulder and entered bogus info...  What morons... Why must everything be so difficult!)

VARIETY NEWS Headline Newsletter Film News

Posted: Mon., Jan. 10, 2011, 9:22am PT
Duchovny, Farmiga join 'Goats' herd
Russell, Driver and Arnett also join indie comedy

By GORDON COX

"David Duchovny, Vera Farmiga, Keri Russell, Minnie Driver and Will Arnett have signed on to indie comedy "Goats," which begins filming next month.

"Ty Burrell ("Modern Family") and Graham Phillips are already onboard for the pic helmed by Christopher Neil.

"The Mark Jude Poi-rier script, based on his novel, follows teen Ellis (Phillips) as he transfers to the East Coast prep school where his father (Burrell) made his mark as a student. Duchovny appears as the kid's de-facto father figure Goat Man, with Farmiga tapped as Ellis' mother with Arnett and Driver cast as her boyfriend and friend, respectively. Russell appears as the new wife of Burrell's character.

"Red Crown Prods.' Daniela Taplin Lundberg ("The Kids Are All Right") produce with Eric Kopeloff and Shannon Lail, with Arlook Group's Richard Arlook set to exec produce with Red Crown's Daniel Crown and Riva Marker. Partial financing will come from exec producer Peter Touche of Sandia Media."

Contact Gordon Cox at gordon.cox@variety.com

LINK: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118029983
("FEEL LIKE TESTING?  See if you can open this without registering and pls PM me if you CAN...)
Last edited by Agent Skulder on August 3rd, 2012, 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Re: Duchovny to star in "Goats" film

Postby Lilith » January 13th, 2011, 5:08 pm

This movie was supposed to be done last year, but then David did the play and there was no info about it for a while... it seems it's back on, but with a slightly different cast that orginally planned.
I like to watch other people f*ck. That's the fun part--they're doing all the work - David Duchovny, Playgirl interview.
Lilith
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Skulder » January 13th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Thanks Lilith!
Think we should email Gordy (who wrote this masterpiece) and tell him?
Ooph - just slapped myself... This is after all Variety!
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Lilith » January 13th, 2011, 5:26 pm

You know, I haven't read it yet and I've been meaning to since I first heard that this movie will be made and David will be in it. I am told it's an absolute must. Have you read it?
I like to watch other people f*ck. That's the fun part--they're doing all the work - David Duchovny, Playgirl interview.
Lilith
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Skulder » January 13th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Nope - I didn't realize there WAS a novel until the article. But I'll add it to my Library List... I stopped buying books (until I know they're keepers) when paperbacks hit the $10 US mark!

Once we (one of us ) read it - if it's a keeper - we can add it to the Must Have post on the General Forum. 
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Lilith » January 13th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I am definitely getting myself a copy soon, from what I'm told it's definitely something I will enjoy and now it has also the 'David' factor as a bonus :P
Lilith
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Queequeg0925 » January 13th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Lilith wrote:I am definitely getting myself a copy soon, from what I'm told it's definitely something I will enjoy and now it has also the 'David' factor as a bonus :P

Definitely!!! David is always a bonus! :D
Scully: "I want everything I should want at this time of my life. Maybe I want the life I didn't choose."

Queequeg0925
Holman Hardt, Rain King

Postby Agent Skulder » August 22nd, 2011, 11:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone's heard news of distribution? There's nothing on IMDb, so unless this opens at a fall or winter Film Festival - maybe it's going direct to DVD?
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby GillyDreamer78 » August 23rd, 2011, 7:09 am

The last thing I read was a rumor that it was going to the Toronto Film festival in August and that it doesn't have a distributer.
GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Postby Agent Skulder » October 1st, 2011, 1:37 am

ACTION!: A poster - plus the film's in Post Production.
http://www.afmfilms.org/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=10853

"Fourteen-year-old Ellis is getting ready to leave his luxurious home in the foothills of Tucson for his freshman year at Gates Academy, an East Coast prep school. This means leaving behind Wendy, his flakey, new age mother and the only real father he has ever known, Goat Man. 

"Goat Man has done more for Ellis than giving him his first bong hit at the age of 11. He has maintained a home on Wendy’s property rent-free since Ellis was a child, taking care of the landscaping and pool cleaning, and raising a small herd of goats -- all the while teaching Ellis the meaning of stability, care taking, and commitment.

"‘GOATS’, based on Mark Jude Poirier’ critically acclaimed debut novel, follows Ellis as he journey’s from his unconventional desert home into Gates’ world of discipline and structure, where everything has a future purpose.

"Ellis easily gets straight A’s while stoned most of the time, and once he re-connects with his estranged father, Frank, he finds Goat Man's influence thrown into stark contrast. When a skeptical Ellis returns for Christmas break, he and Goat Man embark on a fateful trek that forces Ellis to re-evaluate the only thing in his crazy life that he thought would never change his friendship with Goat Man.

"Hilarious and poignant, GOATS is a witty reversal of the coming of age formula, a beautifully honest portrayal of life with its rough edges, awkward moments and non-endings."  
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby GillyDreamer78 » December 8th, 2011, 8:00 am

GillyDreamer78
Sheriff Hartwell, Vampire Control

Re: Duchovny in "Goats;" Premier at Sundance

Postby Agent Skulder » December 8th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Great news about Goats! Thanks for sourcing & posting GillyDreamer.

There has been so little movement on Goats that people were starting to think something was wrong. This way the producer should have an easier time finding a distributor. There's also a rumor floating about that the title may change since it's so close to a recent film "Men Who Look at Goats" ... We'll see next month.
Last edited by Agent Skulder on December 19th, 2011, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » December 19th, 2011, 6:18 pm

GOATS with director CHRISTOPHER NEIL in attendance for a post-film Q&A!
ONE SHOW ONLY ** Thursday, January 26th, 7:00 pm
**This screening is SOLD OUT!**

http://www.loftcinema.com/node/2726
Of note: On January 26th, 2012, the Sundance Film Festival will dispatch nine filmmakers from Park City to nine cities across the country to screen and discuss their direct-from-festival films with audiences. The Loft is honored to be among the theatres selected to participate in this exciting cinematic experience! In each city, the filmmaker will introduce and screen their film and participate in a Q&A with the audience. A video featuring highlights from this year’s Sundance Film Festival will precede each screening.... (more)
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 21st, 2012, 10:27 pm

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 23rd, 2012, 5:47 pm

Trailer: lets us see what a great cast this includes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpAeFXY ... ata_player
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 26th, 2012, 11:53 pm

REVIEWS - Lukewarm at best...

http://hollywoodreporter.com/review/goa ... iew-284807

"PARK CITY — Former acting coach and first-time director Christopher Neil struggles to shape Mark Jude Poirier’s novel Goats into a cogent feature, encumbered by a poorly-structured script and ineffective lead performances. 

With its name cast, the film could see continued festival invitations, but is likely to bypass theatrical for DVD or eventual cable programming...." (more...)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... f-age-tale

"As far as quirky coming of age stories engineered for festivals and the twee aspiring directors who love them go, “Goats” is a fine little movie. 

Directed by newcomer Christopher Neil from a script by Mark Poirier, who adapted his own novel, it follows a teenager struggling to deal with his estranged parents as he tries to find a place for himself, but it’s also not really about anything at all, or at least anything original. In fact, it’s the kind of entertainment that’s familiar and pleasant enough that you easily forget that nothing much is happening on screen, which may admittedly be damning it with faint praise. 

But in a cinematic environment already well-stocked with so many tales of teenagers taking their first steps toward finding their own identity, “Goats” feels like the descendant of a family with an incredible pedigree who decided it was enough to live off of that legacy instead of trying to build anything new upon it.... (more)"
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 26th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Sundance Pix - JAN 2012 - Duchovny with Vera Farmiga

Image Image
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 27th, 2012, 12:01 am

Notes from Goats' Director...
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/01/ ... _news_blog

Christopher Neil on the set of ‘Goats’As a former rehearsal adviser, filmmaker Christopher Neil had the advantage of knowing how to work closely with actors as he dove into making his debut feature film “Goats.”

“I’m a big believer in a really exploratory rehearsal process,” says Neil. “Even if it’s just for a few days, it helps the actors really come together.”

For “Goats,” which premieres at the Sundance Film Festival this week, that exploratory immersion included sending his lead actors Graham Phillips and David Duchovny — who respectively play a prep school-bound teenager and his marijuana-smoking goat herder-guardian — into the Tuscon desert with a professional goat herder.

“Literally as soon as they got to their hotel, I had my goat wrangler, Tom DiMaggio, pick them up and take them tracking,” Neil says. “It was really a full-immersion experience.” He also paired co-star Vera Farmiga, who plays Phillips’s hippie mother, with a new age professional trained in “sound healing.”

Neil says he first optioned Mark Jude Poirier’s titular novel in 2001, after reading positive reviews of the book. He soon began collaborating with Poirier on the script and went out to find funding — a hard task for a first-time filmmaker selling a coming-of-age tale.

Duchovny was the first actor on board, and Neil built the cast around him. Luckily, the “Californication” star was able to remain involved even after a false start delayed production for a year. The production eventually shot in February and March of this year in Tuscon, Arizona — Poirier’s hometown.

“This film is really a love letter to that world,” he says.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 27th, 2012, 12:06 am

From "Mulder!" to "Goat Man!"...
'Goats' puts David Duchovny in Sundance spotlight

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... 52809874/1

By Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY

Published: 1/26/2012 8:47:21 PM

PARK CITY, Utah – David Duchovny is used to random passersby yelling out "Hey, Mulder," his character from The X-Files, or "Hey, Hank," his current character from Showtime's Californication.

But walking down the snowy sidewalk here at the Sundance Film Festival, he was pleased to get a new shout-out.

"This total stranger just yelled out, 'Hey, Goat Man!' a moment ago," says Duchovny, 51. "I was very pleased. Now that's a first."

It probably will not be the last time. Duchovny's performance in the coming-of-age drama Goats was an instant standout after premiering Tuesday at the gathering of independent filmmakers.

The usually clean-cut actor plays the wild-haired Goat Man, a philosophical, marijuana-smoking goatherd who serves as a mentor to a 15-year-old boy (played by Graham Phillips from The Good Wife). Duchovny captures the oddball character's essence, even if the hair had to be added in the makeup chair.

"Putting on that hair and beard made me feel like Goat Man," he says.

Christopher Neil, who directed the film, which also stars Vera Farmiga and Ty Burrell, says he based Duchovny's character on the real-life stepfather he used to hang out with while growing up in Northern California's Napa Valley.

"David really captured his aura," says Neil.

In fact, Duchovny was the laid-back dude even in the most trying moments, especially when dealing with the non-speaking stars of the film — goats called Lance and Freida. The two are Goat Man's constant sidekicks, even traveling with him in a very crowded compact car. The car scene with Duchovny and Phillips plays quirky but was tough to film.

"It gets difficult to have animals with horns in the back of a Volkswagen Jetta and you're trying to do long dialogue scenes," Neil says. "But they just rolled with it. David was very Zen."

Duchovny had planned on playing the Goat Man two years ago, and even grew a beard before finding the movie was delayed ("It was really coming in," he says). By the time production started last year, Duchovny had to be fitted with his own Goat Man look.

"The beard and hair were more expensive than I was," he says. The look worked so effectively that Neil changed the screenplay to ensure Goat Man kept the wild look going deeper into the film before going clean-cut.

"We got to hold the hair and beard longer," Duchovny says. "It actually became a character in the movie as well."

Duchovny also displays an uncanny ability to make effective goat sounds, a noise he used to make with his friends growing up.

"For some reason, in high school that was the sound we made to point out someone else's stupidity. We still do it today," he says, breaking into an impromptu bleat. "When I got Goat Man, I thought, 'I can finally use this (expletive) noise for something.' "

Another habit on display is his willingness to walk around in the buff. The opening scene, featuring the character jumping naked into a pool, was shot with a stunt man, but Duchovny still shows a lot of skin in Goats.

"You do see a lot of my rear end," he says. "That's Goat Man. He walks in the desert, gets high, jumps in pools and hangs out with his goats. He's not going to wear a Speedo."

Of course, the frequent sight of Duchovny in the buff could lead to a whole new set of questions for the star from passersby. That, too, has started at Sundance.

"Some older woman pulled up and asked me how I managed to look so good," Duchovny says. "I just said, 'Vaseline.' I don't know if it makes sense. I was on the spot."
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » January 27th, 2012, 4:02 pm

DD compares goats... to cats? (Or, he's growing weary of interviews.)
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/usatoday ... tainment|s

Interesting soundbites:
""I got head-butted a few times," he says. "But they are not high-maintenance or low-maintenance.

"They are like cats in a way, sort of indifferent to you."

On-screen they are great, natural performers.

"They are honest, they don't lie," he says. "When you look into their eyes they are really there. They are not thinking about lunch."
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » February 7th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Proof that Sundance Deals are often made following the festival...
http://m.deadline.com/2012/02/sundance- ... s-for-u-s/
Sundance Sales Continue: Image Collars ‘Goats’ For U.S.

EXCLUSIVE: Image Entertainment has just acquired U.S. rights to Christopher Neil’s coming-of-age stoner film Goats for what I’m hearing was near $1 million. The film premiered January 24 at the Eccles Theater and buyers sparked to the performances by David Duchovny, Vera Farmiga, Ty Burrell and Graham Phillips. Christopher Neil directed and Mark Jude Poirier wrote the script.... See article for more...

Image’s Bill Bromily and Mark Ward made the deal and will put the film out later this year.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » February 9th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » February 15th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » April 17th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Here's the official poster. Looks like the marketing gurus are aiming to appeal to families...

On IMDb there's nothing re a release date other than 2012.

There's also nothing in the pipeline:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/release.php
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » May 1st, 2012, 2:49 am

Agent Skulder wrote:DD compares goats... to cats?"They are honest, they don't lie," he says. "When you look into their eyes they are really there. They are not thinking about lunch."

LOL! How on earth does he know what a goat is thinking? :)
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby Agent Skulder » May 1st, 2012, 5:49 am

Maybe he was a goat in a prior life! :)
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » May 3rd, 2012, 3:18 am

LOL! Yes, a goat who had the paranoid belief that the sheep were conspiring against him!
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
LondonLady

Re: Duchovny in "Goats"

Postby Agent Skulder » May 4th, 2012, 5:40 pm

THEATRICAL RELEASE:

According to the New York Times, "Goats" is scheduled for a US release August 10, 2012. Check your local theaters - this may not get a wide release.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/movie ... edule.html
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » May 12th, 2012, 5:04 am

Thanks for the advance notice, Agent Skulder. I'll try and remember. :-)
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » June 7th, 2012, 4:59 pm

For anyone who's eager for the DVD, you can now pre-order from Amazon.

The DVD release date is Sept 11, 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088749M ... B0088749MW
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » June 27th, 2012, 4:40 pm

For any movie art aficionados - a new GOATS poster has been released, but it's only on Fandango, not IMDb. It's also way too large to post without being edited, so click & enjoy.

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/exclu ... 17602.html

US Theatrical Release per IMDb still: AUG 10, 2012

For DD purists, note Duchovny sports a beard in the poster that any Hasidic Jew would be proud of... So if you're looking for a shaved mug, this poster's not for you.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » July 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm

US Theatrical Release per IMDb still: AUG 10, 2012
Limited theatrical release equals low key, limited or non-existent promotion.

Enter social media. Not on Twitter? No time like the present ... unless of course you'd rather NOT help promote this film.

Goats the Movie @GoatstheMovie
You can't choose your family... or can you?

A whopping 20 followers...

Mobile: https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/GoatstheMovie
DTop:
https://twitter.com/GoatstheMovie
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » July 26th, 2012, 12:01 am

Let's not forget Facebook...
It went (reportedly) from 35 likes to 330 in 24 hours... Can we get it to 1000 by Aug 1?

MOVIE RELEASE DATE: AUG 10, 2012

The full URL is:
http://www.facebook.com/GoatsTheMovie

The "bit" (shorter) URL, helpful in tweets:
http://on.fb.me/NKun74
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » July 29th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Agent Skulder wrote:For any movie art aficionados - a new GOATS poster has been released, but it's only on Fandango, not IMDb....For DD purists, note Duchovny sports a beard in the poster that any Hasidic Jew would be proud of... So if you're looking for a shaved mug, this poster's not for you.

LOL! He looks like Jeff Bridges!

I'm sure that the beard is fake, but it does look authentic. :)
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » August 2nd, 2012, 7:22 pm

RELEASE IN TUCSON AZ

The Loft Cinema @TheLoftCinema

Coming Soon: GOATS, a new comedy filmed in Tucson, opens August 24th! Starring David Duchovny, Vera Farmiga! ow.ly/cDv1x

7:20pm - 2 Aug 12
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Re: David Duchovny in "Goats"

Postby Agent Skulder » August 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm

I'm asuming this is new as it's recently uploaded. It includes commentary.

IMPT NOTE:

Phillips says THE MOVIE will be available in theaters AND ITUNES on August 10, 2012.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/iphone/independent/goats/featurette/

If link d/n work go to Goats The Movie on Facebook and click on today's post.

The full URL is:
http://www.facebook.com/GoatsTheMovie

The "bit" (shorter) URL, helpful in tweets:
http://on.fb.me/NKun74
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Agent Skulder » August 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm

PRESS... finally!

With 3 days till the US Release, finally some press.

Goats the Movie @GoatstheMovie
'Goats could turn out to be one of the best coming-of-age films this year.' - Ryan Patrick Mooney of TINY MIX TAPES fb.me/1ea31KeQO
2:47pm EDT - 7 Aug 12

http://m.tinymixtapes.com/film/goats
(4.5 "stars")
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby LondonLady » August 8th, 2012, 4:16 pm

I haven't looked at the most recent links, but it seems to me that this film will have a limited release. I'll have to check The Lagoon Theatre in Uptown, and Loews Cineplex in Edina.
LondonLady

Postby Agent Skulder » August 8th, 2012, 11:07 pm

GOATS - LA PREMIER AUGUST 8, 2012

1 - Courtesy of philiater (*click*)
Image Image Image

2 - GETTY Premier Pix: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... lEditorial

With thx to C-Part 2: http://community.idealistshaven.com/for ... hp?t=49545