XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Aquarius

Moderator: ItsOutThere

Aquarius

Postby TruthIsOutThere » May 29th, 2015, 2:22 pm

I checked out Aquarius last night and it was pretty good. Mostly a pretty standard cop show, but DD was great as Sam Hodiak (a really old school detective).
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Re: Aquarius

Postby OneShoe » May 30th, 2015, 5:00 am

Duchovny is great, and it's nice to see him in a suit again, but I couldn't get into it at all.

For anyone interested, all of the episodes are streaming on nbc.com and Hulu.com for the next month, I think. Unsure whether you have to be in the US or not.
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby lostinlove » May 30th, 2015, 9:02 am

Those of us ' of a certain age' remember Manson and how terrifying he and cohorts were. I shall certainly take a look at the show if it reaches our shores, and the new slant on the crime wave.
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby OneShoe » May 30th, 2015, 7:26 pm

I decided to give it another chance and downloaded the first episode from iTunes so I could watch it without commercials.

It turns out that the reason I couldn't get into it was probably due to the fact that I, uh...started with episode 12. *ahem* The episodes were listed in reverse order on the page, and I just clicked the first one, assuming it was the first episode.

http://www.nbc.com/aquarius/episodes

ETA: Okay, I finished episode 1, but I stick by my original assessment that this just isn't for me. I still found it rather dull. It's not the kind of show I thought it would be.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/aquarius_premiere_final_scene_true_charles_manson_gay_story-2015-05

"I think what is great about what Gethin did and what he does is he's not trying to impersonate Manson. He created a character that happens to be named Charlie Manson that he's playing, and it's totally his creation," says series star David Duchovny. "We're not trying to do a Charles Manson story. We're doing a historical fiction with characters in it."

http://www.ibtimes.com/aquarius-tv-show-spoilers-4-things-know-about-new-david-duchovny-series-ahead-may-28-1941881

As previously mentioned, the real crux of the show will focus on star David Duchovny’s character and the trials and tribulations he goes through. While the through-line of the series will be his consistent brush ups with Manson, the detective is a much more seasoned investigator than the likes of Charles Manson is worthy of in 1967. In fact, Sam Hodiak only starts looking into Manson after an ex asks him to find her daughter.

As a result, the show will keep Manson in the background and focus more on Duchovny navigating both the hippie and race movements that were going on in California at that time. The hope is that this will lead to some great story-of-the-week plotlines that only rely on the real-life story tangentially.
OneShoe
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby joss_doggett » June 22nd, 2015, 2:47 pm

I watched the 1st 3 episodes but am not sure I'll watch the rest of the show as I think the general atmosphere's pretty seedy.
I love DD in it of course but knowing what Manson did in real life makes me a bit nauseous. As a daddy of 2, knowing he killed (or had killed) 26 year old / 8 and a 1/2 month pregnant Sharon Tate Polansky (among others) gives me the creeps.
However I just might follow it up because of her: :sun

Monica Reyes: Mmm. I'm back in Gdansk. Let me get some plates.
John Doggett: Plates? For crying out loud... who eats Polish sausage with plates?
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby TruthIsOutThere » June 23rd, 2015, 2:33 pm

Yeah, the mom of the missing girl (and love interest for DD's character) is most assuredly easy on the eyes! :-)
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby joss_doggett » June 23rd, 2015, 3:48 pm

Isn't she? :pompom :pompom :pompom
John Doggett: Plates? For crying out loud... who eats Polish sausage with plates?
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby joss_doggett » June 25th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Finished watching episode 4.
I find the show a little confusing as lots of plots are entertwined: the Manson case, a drug dealer's death, Hodiak (DD)'s son gone AWOL.
It's a bit hard to follow. But I just can't get enough of DD. :P
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby TruthIsOutThere » June 27th, 2015, 1:56 am

As this show has gone on I think it's gotten better and better. I'm really enjoying it all, especially DD's character (who is very different from Mulder; the actor is showing some good range).
TruthIsOutThere
Melissa Scully, Mystic

Postby joss_doggett » June 27th, 2015, 5:02 am

The haircut IS different !! ;)
joss_doggett
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby lostinlove » July 31st, 2015, 7:41 am

Got a wonderful surprise to find out that we are getting David's new show over here in England 're Sky Atlantic, looking forward to seeing it! It's coming in a fortnight.
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Return to David Duchovny