XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Playing God

Moderator: ItsOutThere

Playing God

Postby Lilith » November 13th, 2010, 12:20 am

I'll admit, it's not the best movie in the world, they had a good idea for the story, but the way it was shown wasn't so great. BUT... the degree of David Duchovny hotness in it just makes it worth every second spent on the movie.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

and a little present from me for you ;)

I like to watch other people f*ck. That's the fun part--they're doing all the work - David Duchovny, Playgirl interview.
Lilith
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Re: Playing God

Postby Lish31 » November 13th, 2010, 12:29 am

how can anyone dislike a movie with Angelina Jolie + David Duchovny??! I thought it was cool and you get to see DD swimming ;)
Lish31
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby Lilith » November 13th, 2010, 12:35 am

I didn't say I dislike the movie, quite the opposite actually, I just think it's not the best movie in the world. But that doesn't change the fact that I'll watch it over and over again as long as I'm able to see :D and then I can just listen to it :D
I like to watch other people f*ck. That's the fun part--they're doing all the work - David Duchovny, Playgirl interview.
Lilith
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Lish31 » November 13th, 2010, 12:40 am

haha yeah I didn't think you disliked it, i was just saying....:)
and Timothy Hutton plays a good bad guy. :)
Lish31
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby MartinaBC » November 13th, 2010, 6:19 am

Thank you for the little present, Lilith. ;) :mrgreen:
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hands"
( from The X Files, Episode "Amor Fati")
MartinaBC
Phillip Padgett, Typist

Postby SpecialAgent88 » November 13th, 2010, 12:10 pm

I've not watched this movie, but agree with a cast of Angelina Jolie + David Duchovny, count me in, it's another one on my list. Thanks Lilith
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby luv2luvduchovny » November 23rd, 2010, 3:31 pm

One of my absolute fav. DD movies. Luv David's character, luv Hutton as the bad guy even MORE and yes, as everyone has said, Angelina!
"10? Yeah 10 is about right. But it feels like more."-Robert
"You're a f*cking nut! You make me smile."-Robert
luv2luvduchovny
Mr. X, Window Watcher

Postby Shipperatheart » March 5th, 2013, 12:29 am

I remember I had high hope for this film back then but strangly I don't remember any of it now.
Angelina Jolie worked with DD and GA in differnet movie back in those days. Jolie was still a new comer. Wondered if there would be a chance for them to work in the same movie again.
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Righthere » March 5th, 2013, 3:32 am

I've never particularly cared about Jolie in any movie. DD gave me a constant deja-vu as the drugged Mulder :? . I thought it was pretty lame and pointless and I have no clear recollections of it now.
Seeing is believing
Righthere
Brad Wilczek, Systems Development

Postby Shipperatheart » March 5th, 2013, 3:43 am

Sometimes I wondered if DD has a good eye on movie scripts. Sorry to say but I can't see his charisma in playing other roles other than Fox Mulder. Have to admit he is not a versatile actor but when he finds the right kind of role (like Mulder), he shines!
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Righthere » March 5th, 2013, 3:47 am

Shipperatheart wrote:Sometimes I wondered if DD has a good eye on movie scripts. Sorry to say but I can't see his charisma in playing other roles other than Fox Mulder. Have to admit he is not a versatile actor but when he finds the right kind of role (like Mulder), he shines!

ITA! Does he need to change his agent? :?
I'm going to watch the Joneses with DD and Demi Moore, the reviews are not bad at all.
P.S. We can blame CC for many things but he knew how to squeeze DD and GA so they gave all their juice and the cocktail was perfect.
Last edited by Righthere on March 6th, 2013, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Shipperatheart » March 5th, 2013, 7:32 pm

I'm interested to see DD in goats.
I guess there are so many actors out there to fight for good roles. DD is fortunate to have landed on the role of Mulder that makes him a legend (at least in our hearts)
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Skulder » March 6th, 2013, 8:34 am

Shipperatheart wrote:Sometimes I wondered if DD has a good eye on movie scripts. Sorry to say but I can't see his charisma in playing other roles other than Fox Mulder. Have to admit he is not a versatile actor but when he finds the right kind of role (like Mulder), he shines!

He's been quoted as saying (paraphrased, can't find the link) that he's fortunate to have done the TXF (money wise) as it "allowed him to take on interesting projects." So maybe his "discerning eye" is a bit left of center from what many consider "wise moves."

Check out "The TV Set" - not a 'Wow' but very interesting - w/ Sigourny Weaver. (Not sure if we have a thread... ) :) Caught this on cable during the late-aughts ... (maybe 2008?)
Last edited by Agent Skulder on March 6th, 2013, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Season 10 Comic, by Joe Harris
The mytharc continues in #4
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Righthere » March 6th, 2013, 8:41 am

I wonder how the same project can be judged differently from the actor's and the viewer's point of view. Who knows maybe what the audience finds exciting does not appeal to the cast and vice versa.
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Agent Skulder » March 6th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Righthere wrote:I wonder how the same project can be judged differently from the actor's and the viewer's point of view...

Great point, Righthere...

If we have any actors among us fans (who maybe perform even as a hobby), perhaps they can answer from an actor's standpoint.

To this non-actor, it's possible some actors approach possible roles (jobs, really) asking themselves whether they like the character, the director, the story. Sometimes actors may want a role because it will allow them to "stretch" their skills while displaying for future producers these skills: a comic actor may want people to see his dramatic or musical talent. Other actors simply need to pay bills or get seen in anything new, especially if they've been out of circulation too long.

Actors are responsible for bringing a single role to life, but they do it in a vacuum, by reading a script. Viewers on the other hand don't have anything to do with the front end process. They just see the final result. What each group sees can be completely different from their perspective.

Also, as anyone who follows entertainment news (not the gossip end) knows, many movies don't turn out as first envisioned either due to time or financial constraints. As a result, in some cases there may be actors who thought a project would turn out one way, only to attend the first screening and see something quite different. In other words, some actors may feel like their viewers do after changes are made during production: "Why did I take this role?"

Finally, some fans may expect their "idol" to appear in certain types of movies or shows, sometimes similar to the one where they first started liking the actor. If a new project doesn't meet fan expectations, some scratch their heads wondering why the actor "took such a role!" It could be a critically claimed production, but if fans love the actor in romantic comedies, they may not like him in a depressing drama because it's so different.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Righthere » March 6th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Ahah, Agent Skulder, I used to be a member of the school drama club and did some classics such as Snow White (I was the mirror, yeah) and the Red Riding Hood (I starred in it :P ). What I can say I picked up the roles because I loved the characters, the director (she had weird outfits we could laugh at) and was so in love with my job that did it for free (not that anybody wanted to pay). So, yes, the actors have their reasons. 8-)
Ok, of course I'm kidding, but I just could not resist replying to you :bounce
I think DD's fame as Agent Mulder was so oppressive and cliched him in many ways that he felt the need to change and try something new, play different things, most of all for himself. GA experimented too and not always with much success. However, she's got her piece of the BBC cake and DD got a new wave of popularity from Californication.
P.S. I've always preferred GA however, she always gives 100%, she rips my heart out of my chest everytime I see her on screen (just like Padgett's character) and DD is sometimes reluctant to bring it to the edge.
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Shipperatheart » March 7th, 2013, 12:14 am

Of course what's written on the papers don't necessary translated well on screen. It's team work.
I am sure DD chose the roles he is interested in rather than aiming at earning big money (after all he has earned a lot on TXF) And don't think he likes to be in another role similar to Fox Mulder. U'know back in those days there seemed to be a comparison of him and George Clooney. Both are the leading man in a hit TV series. Seeing what Clooney's done in the film industry now, can't help thinking if DD has the ambition or passion in the film business too (though I know it's not fair to compare anyone to anyone)
He wrote and directed House of D. I thought he would write and direct more but he seems put that aside now.
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Shipperatheart » March 7th, 2013, 12:22 am

Righthere,

I agree about what you said of GA. I just watched TX2; i want to believe and though the story is really lame (hate to say that), the acting of GA saved the film (though her hairstyle could be better)
Her pain and frustration when she can't save that little boy. Oh that's great acting.
DD...though I love him as Mulder, sometimes i find his crying scenes not so convincing.
The only crying scene I like of him is the one in One Breath where we only hear Mulder sobbing and then lean down. No close up of his crying face.

[P.S. I've always preferred GA however, she always gives 100%, she rips my heart out of my chest everytime I see her on screen (just like Padgett's character) and DD is sometimes reluctant to bring it to the edge.[/quote]
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Righthere » March 7th, 2013, 3:50 am

Shipperatheart wrote: I just watched TX2; i want to believe and though the story is really lame (hate to say that), the acting of GA saved the film (though her hairstyle could be better)

Mine, her hair was bad! I'm trying to convince myself that it was to underline how depressed she was and that the old Scully had been gone. I still need to try to find some force to rewatch the movie as it really disappointed me. However.

Shipperatheart wrote:
Her pain and frustration when she can't save that little boy. Oh that's great acting.

This is just cruel. They've hit Scully so many times in her tender spot. I felt like it was GA crying over her character having such an unhappy life. :cry:
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Shipperatheart » March 7th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Maybe that's why CC comforting us by putting in a scene of Mulder and Scully rowing in a boat in the big ocean at the end of the movie credit!
Honestly I've not rewatched that film after I walked out of the cinema in 2008.
It's so sad to read the negative reviews of my favourite show but I can't defend it. It's really no good, not only the story (how come the FBI would drop all the charges against Mulder just because they want to save a FBI agent??), but also the cinematography, the make-up/hairstyling.....
You watch back XF movie 1 and compare to 2, and there is such a downhill of quality in XF2. :dwc
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Righthere » March 8th, 2013, 2:00 am

Shipperatheart wrote:It's so sad to read the negative reviews of my favourite show but I can't defend it. It's really no good, not only the story (how come the FBI would drop all the charges against Mulder just because they want to save a FBI agent??), but also the cinematography, the make-up/hairstyling.....
You watch back XF movie 1 and compare to 2, and there is such a downhill of quality in XF2. :dwc

I feel ya! The only highlight was Mulder's torsoe but it was not enough to save it all.
The boat thing just never convinced me! I keep thinking of Scully crying at night and Mulder living a pointless life. No good:(
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Shipperatheart » March 8th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Honestly I used to be so thrilled about the shipper moments, even the smallest moment such as Mulder wipes the corner of Scully's mouth in Red Museum is so sweet to me. But in IWTB, I don't know what their relationship is. They are not married, not living together but they would share the same bed occasionally.
And yes it feels they're living in misery.
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Agent Skulder » March 9th, 2013, 10:08 am

We're a bit OT here - not "bad" :) - but this is best for the IWTB thread so anyone interested can find an IWTB discussion...

FYI - M & S WERE living together in IWTB - this is believed by most of the fandom. Scully "worked so many hours as an MD" that she never put her Scully touch on the house. Plus, he was living there "in secret..." presumably to avoid arrest.
Sep 18, 2013
Agent Skulder
Langly, Tech Support

Postby Righthere » March 9th, 2013, 10:17 am

Agent Skulder wrote:We're a bit OT here - not "bad" :)

Slightly. ;-)

Agent Skulder wrote:FYI - M & S WERE living together in IWTB - this is believed by most of the fandom. Scully "worked so many hours as an MD" that she never put her Scully touch on the house. Plus, he was living there "in secret..." presumably to avoid arrest.

To recapitulate Scully is working her nice behind off and Mulder cleans up and pays bills with the money she brings. Not bad, Mulder, not bad! Guys, conspiration and pissing off the government badly is a real excuse to be a kept man!
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Return to David Duchovny