XFilesUniverse.com: X-Files News, X-Files 3, X-Files Forum, and XFiles Season 10 IDW!

XFU: for X-Files, X-Files Forums, X-Files Fanfiction, & X-Files 3!

Why the Mulder/Scully relationship is so beautiful

Conduct in this topic must adhere to guidelines for the entire site: pg-13, friendly, and on-topic.

Moderators: JeSouhaite, ItsOutThere, TruthIsOutThere

Why the Mulder/Scully relationship is so beautiful

Postby Claire999 » January 14th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Because for at least 6 or more years it was rooted in nothing but very strong friendship. The most beautiful relationships are those that begin with friendship, because even after they progress to sex the friendship part is still the most important aspect.

Regular romantic relationships are created with one purpose in mind: sex. I apologize to all you romantics out there who disagree with that, but in the long run, one of the main goals of forming a relationship is that it'll eventually lead to sex.

Mulder and Scully's relationship is special because sex was not the intention. Rather they became such good friends that they felt they could express their love with one another physically. Even after they became sexually active together, I have a strong feeling that sex was rarely the first thing on their minds. They were probably so accustomed to being best friends that although they slept in the same bed, they only needed the other's closeness to feel loved, but they knew that they could turn to the other to make love if they were stressed, sad, feeling the need for more closeness, etc.

That's why their relationship is so beautiful - because it's not based on lust.
Claire999
Luis Cardinale, Exterminator

Re: Why the Mulder/Scully relationship is so beautiful

Postby Agent Spooky » March 24th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Good point, Claire999. A lot of shows on television only base relationships off of lust and not off of friendship. Closet one that I've seen to M & S's in terms of the friendship aspect has been Booth and Brennan's.

Not that don't I mind some risqué moments between M & S :nwy , but at the end of the day, it's not the be all and end all.
Credit goes out to RLFicons for this avatar.

We want the X-Files in 2012
Agent Spooky
Alfred Fellig, Official Photographer

Postby SpecialAgent88 » April 26th, 2012, 12:39 am

kckat617- Tumblt

CHEMISTRY

You can’t fake it, you can’t define it. It just is. And David and Gillian had it in spades.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88
Frohike, Electronics Division

Postby SpecialAgent88 » May 29th, 2012, 11:51 pm

ImageImageImageImage

ihavenoconceptofyou.tumblr

On March 6th, 1992, Dana Scully introduced herself to Fox Mulder. She was assigned as his partner in order to debunk his work on The X-Files. Little did they both know, their partnership would evolve into something much greater; where trust was never an issue. Their love has become a legendary story. Today marks the 20th anniversary of their meeting. And, I wouldn’t change anything about their relationship. Well, maybe that whole Diana Fowley thing. We could have done without her just fine.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

Milagro - Agent Scully falls in love but that's obviously impossible. Agent Scully is already in love.
SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 2nd, 2012, 8:05 am

ImageImage

perfectopposite - Tumblr

SA88
One of the major reasons the Mulder and Scully relationship is so beautiful is the looks that Scully gives Mulder throughout the entire series. Scully always has those gorgeous eyes gazing at Mulder, which would melt any man. Their relationship was just so natural and warm, their chemistry would just light up the TV screen each and every week, what a joy to watch them together.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 4th, 2012, 8:19 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

scullaaay - Tumblr

SA88
What is so beautiful about Mulder and Scully's relationship is the amount of care and warmth they have for each other and each would give up everything for the other.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 8th, 2012, 8:30 am

ImageImageImageImage

lilykakes - Tumblr

THE ELEMENTS OF MULDER & SCULLY → FOREHEADS

This is something we rarely had the pleasure of seeing these two do but, it stuck out to every one of us as their most intimate of gestures. It is personally one of my favorite moments between the two of them. It wasn’t outplayed or overused. When they touched each other like this it meant they really, sincerely cared about each other, they wanted to be so close to each other, skin to skin, and didn’t know how else to convey it. It was something that always happened in the most private of settings. Also, notice how Scully is always on the right and Mulder is always on the left and how Scully always nuzzles his forehead. Go back and watch the scenes. She does it in Per Manum, IWTB, and even when they are laying in be together in The Truth. Happy sigh…
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » June 10th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Happy sigh, indeed, SA88. The forehead touching was indeed very intimate. :day
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
David Duchovny, August 2012
LondonLady
Alvin Kersh, Deputy Director

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 11th, 2012, 7:37 pm

I agree, Mulder and Scully forehead touching is indeed very intimate; GD78 calls it Forehead Sex.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am

mutableman - Tumblr - ok ALSO the pilot is straight-up fantastic and I keep going back to rewatch the scene where Scully and Mulder first meet. Just, augh, they’re all cautious and trying to feel each other out and Mulder is like WOOP WOOP INTRUDER ALERT ENGAGE SARCASM FORCE FIELD and Scully is like LOGIC’D and Mulder is so taken aback by the fact that she engages with what he’s saying and takes the time to shoot him down instead of just disregarding him like literally everyone else does that he just immediately opens up and trusts her. PARTNERS.

SA88
I agree with mutablman, the Mulder and Scully relationship is so beautiful because they had mind blowing chemistry from the get go and continues to this very day.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » June 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm

Mulder looks so cute and mischievous, and Scully looks stunning, in the screen caps above from, June 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am. Thanks for posting them, SA88. :)
"Those characters are forever searching...Even if we’re not watching them, they’re out there, in some dimension. Mulder and Scully are still doing their thing, ‘cause that’s their nature."
LondonLady

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 25th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Scully: “That’s the other gift you gave me Mulder - courage, to believe. And I hope that’s a gift I can pass on.”
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » June 27th, 2012, 7:26 am

ImageImageImageImage

dealingdreams - Tumblr

I’m not going to risk losing you…I won’t let you go alone.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » June 28th, 2012, 11:13 pm

LOL! Mulder still looks cute and mischievous, and Scully still looks stunning, although older and much wiser, in the screen captures from June 25th, 2012, 7:24 pm. hug]
LondonLady

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 14th, 2012, 8:23 am

SCULLY: “Our son Mulder… I gave him up. Our son…I’m so afraid you could never forgive me”.

MULDER: “I know you had no choice. I just missed both of you so much”.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 17th, 2012, 9:19 pm

“I didn’t really think too much about the fact that it was about aliens. I was intrigued by that aspect of it, but I was more intrigued by the relationship between Mulder and Scully, and how intelligent this woman was, and that she would stand up in the face of his intelligence and feel comfortable with him.”

- Gillian Anderson”
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » July 21st, 2012, 5:37 am

Well said, Gillian! We're just happy to see Mulder and Scully being so playful and intimate with each other! hug]
LondonLady

Postby SpecialAgent88 » July 22nd, 2012, 9:16 am

thexfilestaughtme - Tumblr

SA88
I've always enjoyed this scene in The Truth, and Mulder takes Scully's hand and places it above his heart, to prove to the world that Mulder's only in love with one woman.
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby LondonLady » July 23rd, 2012, 11:03 pm

Very beautifully said, SA88.
LondonLady

Postby SpecialAgent88 » August 16th, 2012, 12:42 am

“David and Gillian are not only talented actors, but they have unbelievable chemistry. When I did the DVD audio commentary for ‘Memento Mori,’ I was watching it with the sound off, and I was struck by how you could see how David and Gillian read each other’s faces and eyes. They just click.”

— Frank Spotnitz (via x-fileslove)
Made by Gillyinfatuation

SpecialAgent88

Postby lostinlove » August 18th, 2012, 11:25 am

Amen to that!
I owe you everything, you owe me nothing
lostinlove

Postby LondonLady » August 20th, 2012, 10:17 pm

iagree
LondonLady

Postby Muldersgirl9 » March 19th, 2013, 6:08 am

Personally, I prefer Mulder and Scully's relationship when it was developing and when they were just really close friends. For me as well their relationship was always more about friendship, comfort, and just a deep love and devotion for each other.

I love their interactions and love seeing them together and how they act around one another. Their kisses are also great but that’s as much as I want to see. I really love fanfic but I avoid stories where Mulder and Scully have sex because they are too detailed and full of lust lol. They completely ruin their special relationship for me. I know that they do have sex but I just don't want to see it or read about it lol.
Muldersgirl9
Rob Roberts, Food Service

Postby Righthere » March 19th, 2013, 10:44 am

I love their relationship because it's so old fashioned and modern at the same time. They are two toughest ghostbusters fearing nothing but their own feelings and admitting some things. They make my heart squeeze with tenderness. Nothing between is cliche or taken for granted. The whole "me and you against the world" situation is so romantic. Much more romantic than lots of words. They make you treasure each moment of intimacy. Quoting Moby's The Sky is Broken: it's deeper than love. They are like two trees with their roots interlaced and they keep each other close not letting each other fall and become one tree at the end.
Seeing is believing
Righthere
Brad Wilczek, Systems Development

Postby PiperMaru » March 19th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I agree, Muldersgirl9! I think watching the earlier seasons was very rewarding to watch their platonic relationship. I really wanted them romantically together though. Call me an old fashioned shipper, but I wanted them to kiss...all the time. I am glad it took so long though. Yay for slow burn! It only made their already awesome chemistry more rich. I am kinda mad at the way it went down, though. It was clear that the writing had been less planned on the overall arch after DD left the show. They obviously added things in there to include the first romantic encounter. I felt jilted that it happened off screen though. I was a loyal fan, we deserved that moment. We had waited 6 years for it.

I also avoid gratuitous sex scenes in Fanfic when I read and although, I do include a romance in some of my own fanfics, I am completely of the same mind that details are not needed as I don't want the lusty moments in my face. Just skip past it writers, it ruins it. It makes it so base.

Why is the relationship so beautiful? It would take a long time to explain, but I think it has a lot to do with the slow burn. Never let them kiss on screen, make them slowly fall in love. The actors, of course, bring so much to these parts as they 'get' the characters so well. It boils down to being together so long, going through so much, and having incredible chemistry.
PiperMaru

Postby Righthere » March 27th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I've just thought they were often like Sherlock and Dr. Watson. Mulder with his crazy ideas, getting different pieces put together and Scully, a medical doctor, intrigued, following him but never getting the complete picture of what is happening inside Mulder's head.
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Shipperatheart » March 28th, 2013, 1:02 am

PiperMaru wrote:. I am kinda mad at the way it went down, though. It was clear that the writing had been less planned on the overall arch after DD left the show. They obviously added things in there to include the first romantic encounter. I felt jilted that it happened off screen though. I was a loyal fan, we deserved that moment. We had waited 6 years for it.

Why is the relationship so beautiful? It would take a long time to explain, but I think it has a lot to do with the slow burn. Never let them kiss on screen, make them slowly fall in love. The actors, of course, bring so much to these parts as they 'get' the characters so well. It boils down to being together so long, going through so much, and having incredible chemistry.

I like that they treat each other with respect and not jumping to bed right away.
And their look to each other is so charming. Kudos to CC for casting DD and GA!
I do feel we deserve to see more of their romantic relationship developed. I don't think I've heard Mulder refers Scully as his lover or vice versa.
Shipperatheart
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby Righthere » May 7th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I find it touching and charmingly old-fashioned that they are reluctant and shy to accept their mutual attraction, trying to avoid it, trying to keep cool in front of their growing feeling, all the dramatic things between them, all the lost kisses, all the slow burning jealousy and desire, they fear nothing but their own feelings, like two clumsy teens who do not know how to start. All those jokes, looks, pretending nothing is happening, I think this is just so rare today, especially on TV, but maybe in real life as well. I sometimes think how come they have wasted so much time but then I understand it's never been wasted, maybe because of all that waiting they became so much more than just friends and lovers. Their union is out of this world for me, this is the highest spiritual fusion of two opposites, the essence of life.
Seeing is believing
Righthere

Postby Agent Spooky » May 23rd, 2013, 9:14 am

Righthere wrote:I find it touching and charmingly old-fashioned that they are reluctant and shy to accept their mutual attraction, trying to avoid it, trying to keep cool in front of their growing feeling, all the dramatic things between them, all the lost kisses, all the slow burning jealousy and desire, they fear nothing but their own feelings, like two clumsy teens who do not know how to start. All those jokes, looks, pretending nothing is happening, I think this is just so rare today, especially on TV, but maybe in real life as well. I sometimes think how come they have wasted so much time but then I understand it's never been wasted, maybe because of all that waiting they became so much more than just friends and lovers. Their union is out of this world for me, this is the highest spiritual fusion of two opposites, the essence of life.

Bingo! Hit the nail on the head, Righthere. :) They were more than just friends and lovers, especially after all they'd gone though. Not that I mind the phrase, 'lovers' :whistle... that kind of fits in a way as well ;).

Agent Spooky

Postby Muldersgirl9 » June 15th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I find it touching and charmingly old-fashioned that they are reluctant and shy to accept their mutual attraction, trying to avoid it, trying to keep cool in front of their growing feeling, all the dramatic things between them, all the lost kisses, all the slow burning jealousy and desire, they fear nothing but their own feelings, like two clumsy teens who do not know how to start. All those jokes, looks, pretending nothing is happening, I think this is just so rare today, especially on TV, but maybe in real life as well. I sometimes think how come they have wasted so much time but then I understand it's never been wasted, maybe because of all that waiting they became so much more than just friends and lovers. Their union is out of this world for me, this is the highest spiritual fusion of two opposites, the essence of life.

This is a beautiful description of their relationship. It's out of this world for me too. Their love and devotion to one another is the stuff of legend. A nearly perfect (lol) union between true equals.
Muldersgirl9

Postby ItsOutThere » June 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Even if the Mulder/Scully relationship isn’t that explicit throughout the series, everything about their chemistry is too hard to ignore anyway. The wistful gazes "I do not gaze at Scully", the obliviousness to/denial of their mutual attraction "Scully is already in love", their emotional dependency and the constant companionship. I have to admit that I credit their relationship for instilling in my brain all sorts of notions about ideal relationships and love! Sure the concept of the paranormal and conspiracy theories is what lured me into watching the show, but the relationship between "Smulder" is what kept me watching. hug]

You can’t overstate the importance of David and Gillian’s performances, or their chemistry together. Beyond that, I think it’s enormously appealing that Mulder and Scully are two incredibly smart people with boundless respect for one another, despite their profoundly different points of view. During the course of the series, it was their work that brought them together, but also kept them apart. - Frank Spotnitz
(¯`*•.¸(¯`*• If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced •*´¯)¸.•*´¯)
ItsOutThere
Dr. Bambi Berenbaum, Entomology Dept.

Postby queenofhollywood » July 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm

If you remember on the Inside the X Files special, Gillian Anderson said something very precise, that in Mulder and Scully's relationship it's more about the looks, the touch of a hand... those are just as important as making love in other series.

It's about two sexy people who are very tough, private, respectful and contrite, but also very vulnerable inside and they sense that in the other and their relationship transcends sex, lust and anything of the carnal nature. It's about those two souls finding each other and supporting each other. They enjoy the other's company, they worry about the other, take care of the other, they respect each other while being very sexy. :P

So I agree, before they ever got together for real it was more interesting. Only because I was curious as to where it was going. But I feel like it doesn't matter that they are together, because they still have the friendship. The second movie proved that to me. They behave the same way, only with kissing in between. XD
Sig and avvie shamelessly stolen from someone on Deviant Art. Thank you, whoever you are!
queenofhollywood

Postby AmorFati1220 » July 30th, 2013, 11:25 pm

I was trolling around for a quote that I thought really described what it is about Mulder and Scully's relationship that makes it beautiful/amazing/different to me, and I found this one on a previous thread:

SpecialAgent88 wrote:“…I don’t think of love as some kind of greeting card sentiment. Love has to be fierce. It has to be strong. It has to be worthy of being tested and endure in battle. It’s not this flowery, limp kind of thing that so many people imagine it to be. If it’s going to stand up to all the forces that are arrayed against it, it takes a lot of strength and courage. And I think that’s what Mulder and Scully had.”

— Frank Spotnitz (via yousavedtheworldscully)

I can't find the original source online for where this Spotnitz quote came from and that's annoying me.

Anyway, I really do think that quote states well one of the reasons Mulder and Scully stand apart from other couples (tv and otherwise) for me. Their relationship is not perfect or "pretty." They're not one of those cookie cutter, dinner party throwing ideals that so many people associate with the idea of the "perfect couple" (although they did a lovely imitation in Arcadia).

Their characters depict real, flawed individuals whose dedication to pursuing their respective passions in life is only surpassed by their dedication to each other. I guess, I don't see the point in doing anything half-way or "going through the motions" in life. And (probably thanks in large part to Mulder and Scully - no surprise), I feel the same way about love. In my opinion, there is no point to being in a relationship that doesn't have that level of intensity. The only relationships worth being in, are the ones you'd waste no time going to the Arctic to save ;).
AmorFati1220
Ed Jerse, Skin Care

Postby jodeci5150 » September 19th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Their relationship gives me unreal expectations for my own relationship...which is probably why I don't have one! :P
#Trust No One
#Hipsbeforehands
jodeci5150
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby LittleStarbuck » September 19th, 2015, 2:44 pm

What makes the Mulder and Scully relationship so beautiful is that it feels like it's them against the world. They trust each other wholly and completely, and would die for one another, as well as go to the ends of the universe to protect the other.

I also love the fact that lust came last for them. I feel like they were in a romantic relationship from the very beginning, and despite being completely chaste, it held all the aspects of an idyllic romance i.e trust, care, exclusivity, protection, friendship, communication, teamwork, support, compassion, acceptance, forgiveness and love... then came the sex. The sex must have been amazing to have all those emotions behind it -just saying.

I think without each other, their lives would be pretty boring, mundane and normal, and who honestly wants normal?
LittleStarbuck

Postby Agent Spooky » September 19th, 2015, 3:05 pm

LittleStarbuck wrote:What makes the Mulder and Scully relationship so beautiful is that it feels like it's them against the world. They trust each other wholly and completely, and would die for one another, as well as go to the ends of the universe to protect the other.

I also love the fact that lust came last for them. I feel like they were in a romantic relationship from the very beginning, and despite being completely chaste, it held all the aspects of an idyllic romance i.e trust, care, exclusivity, protection, friendship, communication, teamwork, support, compassion, acceptance, forgiveness and love... then came the sex. The sex must have been amazing to have all those emotions behind it -just saying.

I think without each other, their lives would be pretty boring, mundane and normal, and who honestly wants normal?

^ Word. All of this.

Just don't get CC's reasoning for doing some things this time around. And I never will.

Agent Spooky

Postby Andrew80 » September 20th, 2015, 8:02 am

Agent Spooky, it is only the romantic aspect of their relationship that is broken, they are still great friends and obviously partners in the revival. CC's motivation is clear-lack of fresh ideas. He virtually admitted as much-saying that he broke them up because it was a great storytelling opportunity. But don't worry, they'll certainly end up together again, in this installment or the next, because this is Hollywood we're talking about and romances never stay broken up for long time there except when a character dies and there is no indication that's going to happen with S and M. :)
Andrew80

Postby Fallon » October 2nd, 2015, 8:07 am

I also believe things will work out. hug]
Fallon
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Postby Andrew80 » October 2nd, 2015, 11:28 am

Fallon wrote:I also believe things will work out. hug]

It is inevitable. It only depends on whether they have planned other seasons after this one. If so, they'll end this one with cliffhanger and their romance will be resumed in the next one (to create tension, anticipation and therefore boost ratings). If not, they'll have been reunited before/in episode 6.
Andrew80

Postby Fallon » October 2nd, 2015, 12:25 pm

Andrew80 wrote:
Fallon wrote:I also believe things will work out. hug]

It is inevitable. It only depends on whether they have planned other seasons after this one. If so, they'll end this one with cliffhanger and their romance will be resumed in the next one (to create tension, anticipation and therefore boost ratings). If not, they'll have been reunited before/in episode 6.

That's what I think. No way they would be left in the dust altogether.
Fallon
Flukeman, Sewer Cleaner

Next

Return to MSR and Traditional Relationships